help please

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

jpankey
Pro
Pro
help please

Post by jpankey »

I need a vendor supplier for cast iron rings to oring top of sleeves to use to hold compression in . Instead of using stainless wire and copper head gaskets. Thanks in advance J
one mans magic is another mans engineering--robert heinlein I think I need some magic ,the engineering is not getting through real world testing. quote Jpankey
wyrmrider
Guru
Guru
Re: help please

Post by wyrmrider »

Diameter
sleeve materiel?
width of top of sleeve?
o'ring in head or sleeve?
what makes you think you need o-rings?
what motor?
what gasket?
MLS available?
studs or bolts and how many per cylinder?
any Bellevue washers available in the required diamater?
what kind of cast iron are you thinking of?
Kevin Johnson
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Kevin Johnson »

jpankey wrote:I need a vendor supplier for cast iron rings to oring top of sleeves to use to hold compression in . Instead of using stainless wire and copper head gaskets. Thanks in advance J
I would imagine that a big hurdle is whether you are demanding continuous, un-broken rings?

If you are not, then you could fabricate a jig to hold a compressed standard piston ring of appropriate ID and then machine it down to the required OD. Piston ring manufacturers would likely have the fully compressed ID information available and whether it would form a perfect circle or the foci (of presumably (hopefully) an ellipse) would be off.
https://www.semasan.com/breaking-news-archives?utm_campaign=DrivingForce_DF272&utm_content=SeeAllLeg
induction apprentice
Expert
Expert

Post by induction apprentice »

jpankey wrote:I need a vendor supplier for cast iron rings to oring top of sleeves to use to hold compression in . Instead of using stainless wire and copper head gaskets. Thanks in advance J

The best way is to order from ohio parts or someone a cast or ductile iron sleeve for reboring and have someone with a lathe adjust the final I.D. and O.D and then part off as many rings as you would like.

Square o-rings are very good!
Kevin Johnson
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Kevin Johnson »

induction apprentice wrote:

The best way is to order from ohio parts or someone a cast or ductile iron sleeve for reboring and have someone with a lathe adjust the final I.D. and O.D and then part off as many rings as you would like.

Square o-rings are very good!
That's a very good idea. =D>
https://www.semasan.com/breaking-news-archives?utm_campaign=DrivingForce_DF272&utm_content=SeeAllLeg
jpankey
Pro
Pro

Post by jpankey »

wyrmrider wrote:Diameter
sleeve materiel? ductile iron
width of top of sleeve? .1975
o'ring in head or sleeve? fire ring is in sleeve
what makes you think you need o-rings? it was built that way
what motor? Allis Chalmers
what gasket? high temp rtv
MLS available?
studs or bolts and how many per cylinder? 9/16 studs
any Bellevue washers available in the required diamater?
what kind of cast iron are you thinking of?
solid round diameter ring not sure
one mans magic is another mans engineering--robert heinlein I think I need some magic ,the engineering is not getting through real world testing. quote Jpankey
wyrmrider
Guru
Guru

Post by wyrmrider »

I was thinking nodular or ductile or ? not grey iron