Block cleaning

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

modok
Guru
Guru
Re: Block cleaning

Post by modok »

The oil galleys have not been a problem. It can be hard to rinse out the bolt holes. I find it best LEAN the block 35- 45 degrees toward you the side you are rinsing, so the water drains right back out of the holes by gravity.
Matt80

Post by Matt80 »

modok wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2017 4:47 pm The oil galleys have not been a problem. It can be hard to rinse out the bolt holes. I find it best LEAN the block 35- 45 degrees toward you the side you are rinsing, so the water drains right back out of the holes by gravity.

Yes sure, no problems with bores and bolt holes. I'm mainly worried about very small particles in the cleaner media in the oil galleries that will damage the bearings.
Is ATF and nylon brushes going to remove all of them from there?
modok
Guru
Guru

Post by modok »

no, but that would be good thing to try if the caustuic soda was not able to desegregate it, which can happen in rare cases.
Lizardracing
Pro
Pro

Post by Lizardracing »

I use very hot water, Dawn, and engine brushes.
I like to cut off the engine brushes loop on the handle and chuck them up in a cordless drill for easier use.
Rinse with very hot water using the brushes again.
Blow it off with a 2 cycle leaf blower because the hot exhaust has a lot of oil in it.
When dry I'll wipe it down with a rag and engine oil.

In the winter I'll let set the block on top of the wood stove so the heat drys it faster.

It's kinda shade tree but I've never had a problem relating to cleanliness using this method.
Matt80

Post by Matt80 »

Lizardracing wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2017 4:09 pm I use very hot water, Dawn, and engine brushes.
I like to cut off the engine brushes loop on the handle and chuck them up in a cordless drill for easier use.
Rinse with very hot water using the brushes again.
Blow it off with a 2 cycle leaf blower because the hot exhaust has a lot of oil in it.
When dry I'll wipe it down with a rag and engine oil.

In the winter I'll let set the block on top of the wood stove so the heat drys it faster.

It's kinda shade tree but I've never had a problem relating to cleanliness using this method.

Thanks.
What about silicon spray as anti-rust? As WD-40 doesn't work and makes blocks to rust
Matt80

Post by Matt80 »

modok wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2017 5:09 am ZEP, but it's no secret blend, -basically- just caustic soda, aka, sodium hydroxide.
Hi, do you know caustic soda percentages in ZEP?
Can't find it anywhere
Thanks
crazycuda
Expert
Expert

Post by crazycuda »

a 2 gallon pump sprayer mixed with red max degreaser, laundry soap, and hot water works good for me. Mixed with cleaning brushes and a pressure wash when done. Followed with a spray down of wd40 before blowing, then a coat of cheapo dextron after blowing off. seems to always work good and pass the white towel for me.
Sorry if I ask alot of questions, but you never stop learning if you ask questions
Krooser
Guru
Guru

Post by Krooser »

I'm a Tide guy myself... but only for the engine rebuilds. Cannot afford it for the laundry...
Honored to be a member of the Luxemburg Speedway Hall of Fame Class of 2019
modok
Guru
Guru

Post by modok »

Matt80 wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:49 am
modok wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2017 5:09 am ZEP, but it's no secret blend, -basically- just caustic soda, aka, sodium hydroxide.
Can't find it anywhere
Thanks
Read the MSDS
If it's not working ont he zep site
Just google "ZEP -part number- msds"
Belgian1979
Guru
Guru

Post by Belgian1979 »

usually those advocating Chinese products are those that sell them.
Matt80

Post by Matt80 »

modok wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:47 am
Matt80 wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:49 am
Can't find it anywhere
Thanks
Read the MSDS
If it's not working ont he zep site
Just google "ZEP -part number- msds"

Ah yes, but what's the exact name of the ZEP product you use? There are a lot in their catalogue, thanks
modok
Guru
Guru

Post by modok »

I don't know if it's really a good deal, or better or worse than anything else, but they have a sales guy that comes around, IN PERSON a few times a year and that's rather nice tradition to maintain.
It used to be that way with many suppliers, but less-so every year.
These days, can't get anybody on the phone that knows squat , no instructions, ect.
IMO in this case, it would be worth calling, and asking what product they would recommend, probably.
user-17438

Post by user-17438 »

rfoll wrote: Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:16 am 40 years ago they told us in my environmental technology class that the government made them take the phosphates out of the laundry soap. It doesn't come out in standard waste water treatment, and produces algae blooms in the receiving stream. The result was clean water and dirty clothes. That being said, if you can find real TSP, (tri-sodium phosphate), it would be the ideal for cleaning.
He is right you know.. otherwise flushable set wipes work and are environmentally sound.
Matt80

Post by Matt80 »

modok wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:28 pm #11263
I don't know if it's really a good deal, or better or worse than anything else, but they have a sales guy that comes around, IN PERSON a few times a year and that's rather nice tradition to maintain.
It used to be that way with many suppliers, but less-so every year.
These days, can't get anybody on the phone that knows squat , no instructions, ect.
IMO in this case, it would be worth calling, and asking what product they would recommend, probably.

Thanks!