What real hp are these import guys making??

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Orr89rocz
HotPass
HotPass
Re: What real hp are these import guys making??

Post by Orr89rocz »

1.8-2.0 turbo hondas around me make like 300 lb ft on 450-460 whp setups. 550 wheel trq on like 880 whp
wwmtlineman

Post by wwmtlineman »

I don't believe anyone is making that power using the old Landcruiser 6 cyl motor based on the old Chevy 6
ap72
Guru
Guru

Post by ap72 »

Would you believe people make that power with an old Ford 2.3L Lima "tractor engine"? Albeit almost nothing about it is stock.
LOL, according to the post count I'm an "expert." The only thing I'm an expert at is asking questions.
jake197000
Expert
Expert

Post by jake197000 »

with these little engines making that kind of power how long do they last? thats great if u want to be fixin it all the time.
turbobaldur
Pro
Pro

Post by turbobaldur »

Here we have the definition of a dyno queen, 1850hp but power band starts at 8000RPM and ends at 9000. Could probably be extended slightly past 9500 but it's already peaked at 9k.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMpBSWTGHko
peejay
Guru
Guru

Post by peejay »

jake197000 wrote:with these little engines making that kind of power how long do they last? thats great if u want to be fixin it all the time.
People with a good tune-up and good parts get a decent amount of life, just like anything else.

Certainly it's a lot better than having to replace the valvesprings and lifters every two months or so with a hot pushrod engine.

Here's a ~700-750hp Neon breaking the all-time FWD record at VIR - the first (only?) FWD to get under 2 minutes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ql0C-bwUVY

Note the tach. This is not a high revving engine. Compared to drag cars, a single weekend of track days may be 5-10 years worth of dragstrip use on a power/time ratio.
Brian P
Guru
Guru

Post by Brian P »

jake197000 wrote:with these little engines making that kind of power how long do they last? thats great if u want to be fixin it all the time.
Everyone said the same thing back in the 1970s when those little Japanese cars showed up in dealer showrooms. "Those 4 bangers will never last."

The first car our family got more than 100,000 miles out of, was a Honda Civic.
ap72
Guru
Guru

Post by ap72 »

Brian P wrote:
Everyone said the same thing back in the 1970s when those little Japanese cars showed up in dealer showrooms. "Those 4 bangers will never last."

The first car our family got more than 100,000 miles out of, was a Honda Civic.

Or the Nissan L series? Yea, those are fragile engines...
LOL, according to the post count I'm an "expert." The only thing I'm an expert at is asking questions.
pdq67
Guru
Guru

Post by pdq67 »

Rizzle wrote:
jeff8407 wrote:
Personally, I always found it remarkable that the Supra crowd could make well over 500 hp (sometimes 900hp) out of the inline six as it was based on the Chevy 235 from the 1950's or before!
Care to expand on that "history"?
It seems unlikely to me that a Japanese company developing an engine that starts production in 1990 has any relation to a GM engine from way back when, besides the cylinder count/arrangement.
Fwiw, didn't Toyota steal the old Mopar 241 Dodge hemi made in the '50's for one of their, "in country" top of the line cars? I don't think they exported the car...

pdq67
Leftcoaster
Pro
Pro

Post by Leftcoaster »

Can someone please define what "based on" means - - and this is a genuine inquiry rather than provocation :?

Block architecture - - material - - cam position if in block - - bore - - stroke - - no cylinders - - head architecture - - material - - valves per cylinder - - number cams if ohc - - valve train mechanism - - etc etc?
peejay
Guru
Guru

Post by peejay »

pdq67 wrote:
Rizzle wrote:
jeff8407 wrote:
Personally, I always found it remarkable that the Supra crowd could make well over 500 hp (sometimes 900hp) out of the inline six as it was based on the Chevy 235 from the 1950's or before!
Care to expand on that "history"?
It seems unlikely to me that a Japanese company developing an engine that starts production in 1990 has any relation to a GM engine from way back when, besides the cylinder count/arrangement.
Fwiw, didn't Toyota steal the old Mopar 241 Dodge hemi made in the '50's for one of their, "in country" top of the line cars? I don't think they exported the car...

pdq67
You're thinking of the V engine. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_V_engine

It looks similar but it is a lot smaller dimensionally. Nothing like the Land Cruiser engines where you could interchange some Chevy parts.

Interestingly, the car that Toyota put that engine in was largely unchanged from the 60s until they stopped making it in the late 90s. It was their top of the line executive's car, for people who showed off their luxury by being very understated. When they did replace the car, it looked almost exactly like the old one.
Leftcoaster
Pro
Pro

Post by Leftcoaster »

GLHS60 wrote:Not an import but a 1986 Dodge Omni SOHC Turbo.
Thanks
Randy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1r6NLSz ... e=youtu.be
Believed "based on" the Mitsubishi 4G63 engine and manufactured under license - - :mrgreen:

Further, the GLH derivative replaced a 1.7 4cyl sohc 2v Chrysler engine believed based on the VW EA111 engine family and likewise manufactured under license

Continuing, the 1.7 "Chrysler" engine reputedly inspired Chrysler engineers to develop the "stretched" 2.2l version used in Dodge Caravans etc etc #-o
peejay
Guru
Guru

Post by peejay »

Leftcoaster wrote:
GLHS60 wrote:Not an import but a 1986 Dodge Omni SOHC Turbo.
Thanks
Randy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1r6NLSz ... e=youtu.be
Believed "based on" the Mitsubishi 4G63 engine and manufactured under license - - :mrgreen:

Further, the GLH derivative replaced a 1.7 4cyl sohc 2v Chrysler engine believed based on the VW EA111 engine family and likewise manufactured under license

Continuing, the 1.7 "Chrysler" engine reputedly inspired Chrysler engineers to develop the "stretched" 2.2l version used in Dodge Caravans etc etc #-o
The 1.7 was a VW block and (IIRC) Chrysler head. The 1.7 automatic trans is rare and very valuable since it gives VW drag racers a way to put power down, since almost all VW transverse transmissions are fragile junk and the Torqueflite is pretty tough.

No 4G63 or other related engine was ever used in a Chrysler product... the chaindrive 2.6 was used for a while in the 80s in the larger vehicles (Caravans mainly) untul Chrysler could get a V6. Never in the Omni/Horizon.

Which was based on a Simca, anyway...
Leftcoaster
Pro
Pro

Post by Leftcoaster »

peejay wrote: The 1.7 was a VW block and (IIRC) Chrysler head. The 1.7 automatic trans is rare and very valuable since it gives VW drag racers a way to put power down, since almost all VW transverse transmissions are fragile junk and the Torqueflite is pretty tough.

No 4G63 or other related engine was ever used in a Chrysler product... the chaindrive 2.6 was used for a while in the 80s in the larger vehicles (Caravans mainly) untul Chrysler could get a V6. Never in the Omni/Horizon.
Interesting, since there are numerous internet postings extolling the virtues of swapping engine parts between the 4G63 and what I'll respectfully call "the Chrysler version" :shock:
volodkovich

Post by volodkovich »

Stock stroke All motor drag Honda K's are putting down 400+ to the wheels. That's got to be 450hp crank from 2.5L, a fairly insane 180hp/L.

99x90, 2000lbs, 9.92@136
WhitleyTune - Bespoke Camshaft, Valvetrain & Aluminium casting