What real hp are these import guys making??

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

dirtdemon59
What real hp are these import guys making??

Post by dirtdemon59 »

I hear claims of 700 hp with 200ish lb of torque. Is this real
Or a doctored dyno. Is it even possible to make that hp number
With tq that low? I'm talking vtec Hondas especially 1.8l engines power adders
Ok. Give me your input. Thanks
PackardV8
Guru
Guru

Re: What real hp are these import guys making??

Post by PackardV8 »

Reminds me of the old two-stroke days. Yes, Hondas seem to be making about that much horsepower with that little torque.

The Mitsu turbo guys have the best of both worlds - huge horsepower and huge torque. The amazing thing is with computer controlled EFI and ignition, they aren't just a hand grenade.
Jack Vines
Studebaker-Packard V8 Limited
Obsolete Engineering
lorax
Guru
Guru

Post by lorax »

Thats a pretty good trick.

200lb of torque at 10,000 rpm is only 381 HP.
coolchevy
Expert
Expert

Post by coolchevy »

what's the difference of a 400hp Supra to a 900hp Supra, well, 3 tenths at the dragstrip.......... :mrgreen:

most are dyno queens these days, the ones which really have that power have a ton and then some more money into it and are rare, and those are wickedly fast cars indeed. But for every one there are a 100 dyno queens which everyday just run a fraction of the power
Last edited by coolchevy on Mon Mar 31, 2014 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PackardV8
Guru
Guru

Post by PackardV8 »

Agree, the OPs numbers do not compute and I got no dog in this fight, but even a cursory search will show some stock bottom end turbo Hondas making numbers like 740 hp 460 tq.

[url]http://honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=2036623[/ur
Jack Vines
Studebaker-Packard V8 Limited
Obsolete Engineering
MotionMachine
Guru
Guru

Post by MotionMachine »

I do machine work for a team that dyno's their own motors, known them all for years, no BS. 2 litres, 650 lbs torque, 700 plus HP. I guess there is a substitute for cubic inches, ludicrous amounts of boost!
lada ok
Guru
Guru

Post by lada ok »

boosted engines .... some how I think it's cheating !
donc
Guru
Guru

Post by donc »

Although not my choice of cars they can make some good power.
dieselgeek
Guru
Guru

Post by dieselgeek »

I have one customer at 1330hp on a DTS dyno at 120 cubic inches, on alcohol of course. Mitsu 4G63, modified OEM crank, stock block (filled) and ported OEM head. Another has a street driven 2.3 pinto-based engine, turbocharged, in a 3200lb mustang with small tires that runs 8.90s. His latest combo makes around 1150hp on the engine dyno. I've tuned a ton of Supras (Toyota 2JZ-GTE) in the 5-7hp per cubic inch range that have lived 100,000+ miles at 700-1000hp at the wheels.

Torque, HP, and RPM are all related. Pretty easy to catch someone BSing those figures. But don't claim that these "imports" (some are domestics) aren't capable of serious power on a lot of stock parts. In fact most of my side work is on import engines. Be glad there are kids out there breaking parts and learning.
Calibration Engineer
www.DIYAutotune.com
peejay
Guru
Guru

Post by peejay »

You do have to be careful in the import world... So many people think HP means wheel HP. And other people know the difference.

So someone claims 200hp. As measured on an engine dyno, or reverse-calculated from weight/MPH. Then the telephone game starts and it turns into 200WHP. Then someone sees that and says it's 250hp. Then that turns into 250whp. And on and on.

And then there are people who complain that their car rated at 200hp only makes 160hp on a Dynojet. Yes, that's about right. If you want Dynojet readings that are equal to the rated CRANK horsepower, you need an LS1 Camaro :)

I have never heard of anyone claiming 700hp and 200ft-lb. That's absurd. Generally imports that are making 700hp are making lots of torque because of the 20-30-40 pounds of boost being thrown into it. There's no replacement for displacement, so if you have a small engine you just need an air compressor to make big-displacement airflow fit into it.

Timeslips are what matters. If your car runs 9.90s then it's pretty quick no matter what is turning the flywheel.
hoffman900
HotPass
HotPass

Post by hoffman900 »

I don't think he meant the 700hp / 200 lb-ft literally.

To the op, you need to remember that:

torque can exist without doing work, but in the context of this conversation it is the number given to work.
horsepower is the rate of work.

So, a smaller displacement engine has less leverage (via stroke and less piston bore area for pressure to act on) and subsequently less torque. To make high horsepower, you need torque to peak at a high rpm. With this higher rpm, more work is being done, so hp will be high for a given torque value.

The reverse is a steam engine. It may only have 20hp, but maybe 1500+ lb-ft of torque.

To get a mathmatical relationship between the two, think of it in terms of this equation:

[torque (lb-ft) x rpm]/5252 = horsepower.

Obviously, the higher the torque peak, the higher the horsepower for a given torque number.
-Bob
Alaskaracer
Expert
Expert

Post by Alaskaracer »

Here's one for you. Had a kid at the car show this weekend try and tell me they just dyno'd a turbo charged four banger at 600ish hp and over 1200 ft lbs of torque, and another 396 small block at 700 hp and over 2000 ft lbs of torque.... he insisted the dyno was accurate and those were real numbers.....
Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream rear engine dragster
Speed kills but it's better than going slow!
http://www.livinthedreamracing.com
Authorized Amsoil Retailer
Brian W
Pro
Pro

Post by Brian W »

700hp and 200lbs tq?? Sure,... if you can make 200 ft lbs @ 18,382 rpm then yes.
crazyamc

Post by crazyamc »

Well, I guess some rich import kid could've have pick up one of last years F1 motors........ KIDDING! :lol:
rfoll
Guru
Guru

Post by rfoll »

A few years ago, on a run that was the fastest I had ever turned, a Civic blew by me at the 1/8 mark like I was standing still, I don't remember his time, but it was 149 mph in the 1/4. A few weeks later 3 or 4 of the all wheel drive Mitsubishi turbo guys showed up together, one of them bragging about some huge HP they were making. He may have been right about the HP, 3 went home on trailers with something blown in drive train. Many of those cars disappeared when they started cracking down on the 11.49 roll bar rule.
So much to do, so little time...