General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

af2
Guru
Guru

Re: Rectangle port Intake on Oval port Heads

Post by af2 »

JoePorting wrote:
bigjoe1 wrote:remember we did this with a 460 Ford too--Edelbrock was developing a manifold for the 460 Ford ( popular jet boat engine ) When I put a 429 Cobrajet intake manifold on it, It blew the doors of the new Edelbrock manifold- It had much bigger ports than the non Cobrajet heads, but made more power everywhere.. Maybe that is why I got fired from Edelbrock.

JOE SHERMAN RACING
I'm surprised Edelbrock fired you. They really need someone like you who can fine tune their hardware. Did someone higher up see you as a threat to their job? That's usually how it works in the corporate world.

Joe F. When Sherman got fired it was a different company compared to today.
I think Joe Sherman could write a pretty damn good book on his time with Jim..
GURU is only a name.
Adam
vortecpro
Guru
Guru

Post by vortecpro »

af2 wrote:
JoePorting wrote:
bigjoe1 wrote:remember we did this with a 460 Ford too--Edelbrock was developing a manifold for the 460 Ford ( popular jet boat engine ) When I put a 429 Cobrajet intake manifold on it, It blew the doors of the new Edelbrock manifold- It had much bigger ports than the non Cobrajet heads, but made more power everywhere.. Maybe that is why I got fired from Edelbrock.

JOE SHERMAN RACING
I'm surprised Edelbrock fired you. They really need someone like you who can fine tune their hardware. Did someone higher up see you as a threat to their job? That's usually how it works in the corporate world.

Joe F. When Sherman got fired it was a different company compared to today.
I think Joe Sherman could write a pretty damn good book on his time with Jim..
Thats a good idea. I can only imagine what it was like back in the 70s in So Cal, and being right in the thick of it. What the hell, Joe could always go over and get a job with his buddy over at Champion spark plugs.........
Racing a NA NHRA stocker should be mandatory before any posting.
justahoby
HotPass
HotPass
Location: In Stephenville, Texas, USA from Thunder Bay, Canada

Post by justahoby »

bigjoe1 wrote:Port Matching has always been highly over rated. I have never seen any big gains from it. Most of the time, it makes little or NO Differance at all

JOE SHERMAN RACING
I heeded your advise not to do it to the exhaust, and my intake was so close I left it alone too, I saw no reason to keep making it bigger for my application by a nifty port match just for a fun street / strip build
Saved me a lot of time, for nothing I could notice
As I'm approaching 40,I still think I'm 20. What the hell is wrong with me?
af2
Guru
Guru

Post by af2 »

vortecpro wrote: I think Joe Sherman could write a pretty damn good book on his time with Jim..
Thats a good idea. I can only imagine what it was like back in the 70s in So Cal, and being right in the thick of it. What the hell, Joe could always go over and get a job with his buddy over at Champion spark plugs.........[/quote]

You are really asking for it!!!! :lol:
GURU is only a name.
Adam
bigjoe1
Show Guest
Show Guest

Post by bigjoe1 »

I would not use Champion plugs in my lawn mower.

JOE SHERMAN RACING
vortecpro
Guru
Guru

Post by vortecpro »

af2 wrote:
vortecpro wrote: I think Joe Sherman could write a pretty damn good book on his time with Jim..
Thats a good idea. I can only imagine what it was like back in the 70s in So Cal, and being right in the thick of it. What the hell, Joe could always go over and get a job with his buddy over at Champion spark plugs.........
You are really asking for it!!!! :lol:[/quote]LOL :mrgreen: Just think, how happy Joe would be there with the spark plug king!
Racing a NA NHRA stocker should be mandatory before any posting.
lorax
Guru
Guru

Post by lorax »

bigjoe1 wrote:I would not use Champion plugs in my lawn mower.

JOE SHERMAN RACING
This begs the question, what if they were putting up 2500.00 in the EM #-o
rally
Expert
Expert

Post by rally »

bigjoe1 wrote:Port Matching has always been highly over rated. I have never seen any big gains from it. Most of the time, it makes little or NO Differance at all

JOE SHERMAN RACING
Agree with you Joe, so true. I never wasted anytime and money having this done. I heard and you know too its always best to have the intake runner smaller exiting into the cylinder head for better port velocity. This is what i have done with my drag race motors over the years.
paul s.

Post by paul s. »

How much of a discrepency is there in port areas when we are talking about going from a rect. port intake runner to an oval port head? Is it possible the availability of MORE AIR simply trumps any slight boundary layer intrusions?

What is the basic intake port volume of an oval port bbc head of which we speak? Were they notably small for the performance desired?
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Post by Walter R. Malik »

paul s. wrote:How much of a discrepency is there in port areas when we are talking about going from a rect. port intake runner to an oval port head? Is it possible the availability of MORE AIR simply trumps any slight boundary layer intrusions?

What is the basic intake port volume of an oval port bbc head of which we speak? Were they notably small for the performance desired?
OH ... about a square inch of area; mostly all at the roof of the port.
http://www.rmcompetition.com
Specialty engine building at its finest.
lefty o
Guru
Guru

Post by lefty o »

bigjoe1 wrote:I would not use Champion plugs in my lawn mower.

JOE SHERMAN RACING
amen!
swatson454
Guru
Guru

Post by swatson454 »

paul s. wrote:How much of a discrepency is there in port areas when we are talking about going from a rect. port intake runner to an oval port head? Is it possible the availability of MORE AIR simply trumps any slight boundary layer intrusions?

Might be a good spot for some "green death" ?

Shawn
Live in such a way that those who know you but don't know God will come to know God because they know you.
MarkR

Post by MarkR »

"What is the basic intake port volume of an oval port bbc head of which we speak?"

--they are 255cc.

"about a square inch of area; mostly all at the roof of the port." --what exactly do you mean by this? Are you saying that basically all the port uses on these particular heads is mostly the top half of the port?

Swatson---also what are you referring to when you said a good spot for "green death??"
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Post by Walter R. Malik »

MarkR wrote:
--they are 255cc.

"about a square inch of area different; mostly all at the roof of the port." --what exactly do you mean by this? Are you saying that basically all the port uses on these particular heads is mostly the top half of the port?
VOLUME means little when comparing two DIFFERENT architecture heads.
The "rectangular intake port" BBC is about a half inch taller than an "oval intake port" BBC yet the floors and port widths of both are pretty much in the same location except the corners are tighter with the oval port..

Just get each type gasket and lay them on top of one another and it is very, VERY evident.
http://www.rmcompetition.com
Specialty engine building at its finest.
swatson454
Guru
Guru

Post by swatson454 »

MarkR wrote: Swatson---also what are you referring to when you said a good spot for "green death??"
Filling in the mismatch on the intake manifold roof/corners with epoxy to better match the oval port head. I can't remember the actual name of the product but it's known as "green death".

Shawn
Live in such a way that those who know you but don't know God will come to know God because they know you.