Rectangle port Intake on Oval port Heads

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

MarkR
Re: Rectangle port Intake on Oval port Heads

Post by MarkR »

Awesome... so I guess I need to get myself some "green Death" :D, and also a couple gaskets.. and something to make a port molds. I have used rtv silicone a couple of times but I find it takes more time to get a decent mold. I would like to get something to make a solid mold and see what they look like.

My understanding is they made two sets of 049 castings ....up to 73 and 73 too?? anyhow I have a set of each, and wondered if there is any difference? I rough cc'd the chambers and intake runners.. so when you talk about port architecture what are you referring to...if it is at all explainable? I understand one is a rectangle port and one is oval, could it be that they used the same basic runner and filled in the corners to shorten up the volume...so when you talk about two heads with same port volume but are vastly different are you referring to different CSA's in various places in the port or what exactly do you mean ?? I realize that I need to do my own experimenting and research but I thought I might get a little insight from people who have already been down that road and still have the knowledge...

thanks
Bob Hollinshead
Guru
Guru

Post by Bob Hollinshead »

MarkR wrote:

My understanding is they made two sets of 049 castings ....up to 73 and 73 too?? anyhow I have a set of each, and wondered if there is any difference?

I've also heard there is a 049 casting that has the largest of the oval port intake runners-I think it's the early casting. I've got a 72 casting here I could measure.
Pro question poster.
MarkR

Post by MarkR »

Bob, I just measured the 73' 049 head --chamber 125cc
--exhaust 110cc
--intake 245cc
rally
Expert
Expert

Post by rally »

Go with the 049 head, 73 cast date. Best exhaust runner size of them all. Chevy BB Factory heads in the 60s era didnt flow well on the exhaust side, 119 cc. I had a set on my drag motor, bigger valves, 3 angle cut, bowls ported, strong up to 6500 RPMs.
racear2865
Guru
Guru

Post by racear2865 »

OK got a square port "Holley Strip Dominator"going on a round port 049 head. Head had 2.190/1.880 valves with quite a bit 0f porting inside especially around the valves. Has comp cam roller hyd cam extreme energy 280HR(232/232 @.050-.566//.566 on 110 installed at 106 . BBC 454 stroke and bored to 496. Has 10.8 compression. Quench .039.
Eagle H-Beam rod 6.585. Mahle small dome piston. Tool steel lightened pin. Metric ring pack. 850 cfm Quick Fuel "Q" series carb. All bearings coated by Calico.
He is looking for mid range torque--doesnt care about HP. Trying to get on dyno today or morrow. What will it pull up to 5500. I will post what we get. Im looking forward to this. question--will it pull 600 on tq?
reed
MarkR

Post by MarkR »

Awesome...I would say it would be close to 600 as an uneducated guess, as in has never seen a dyno.. but also roughly what would it be at the wheels is what really counts. Looking forward to seeing these results.
80cutlass_supreme

Post by 80cutlass_supreme »

Personally from my experience you are just better off matching them, lets say by the use of a gasket. lay the gasket on both and use a scribe to mark the gasket size on both the head and intake. Then they will be matched and no possibility of hitting a wall.
Bob Hollinshead
Guru
Guru

80cutlass_supreme wrote:Personally from my experience you are just better off matching them, lets say by the use of a gasket. lay the gasket on both and use a scribe to mark the gasket size on both the head and intake. Then they will be matched and no possibility of hitting a wall.
You can't open up oval port heads properly to match a rectangular port intake without adding a lot of material to the head. There's been a lot of people running the manifold and heads as is and making good power-some say even better than with a matched intake so I think that's what this thread is more about. Is there something positive about the mismatch and why???
Pro question poster.
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Post by Walter R. Malik »

[quote="80cutlass_supreme"]Personally from my experience you are just better off matching them, lets say by the use of a gasket. lay the gasket on both and use a scribe to mark the gasket size on both the head and intake. Then they will be matched and no possibility of hitting a wall.[/quot]

Like the snake that swallowed the rat with the obvious expansion of area right in one place, ](*,)
http://www.rmcompetition.com
Specialty engine building at its finest.
af2
Guru
Guru

Post by af2 »

Bob Hollinshead wrote:Has anyone documented the oval/recangular port mismatch flow differences on a flow bench? Bet it's not as drastic as most would think

Bob, a wet flow would tell the most on a bench. That is where I don't like the dry bench because it will show bad #'s and still flow better on a running engine. :?:
GURU is only a name.
Adam
af2
Guru
Guru

Post by af2 »

af2 wrote:
Bob Hollinshead wrote:Has anyone documented the oval/recangular port mismatch flow differences on a flow bench? Bet it's not as drastic as most would think

Bob, a wet flow would tell the most on a bench. That is where I don't like the dry bench because it will show bad #'s and still flow better on a running engine. :?:
I should have said,, Perform better on a running engine.
GURU is only a name.
Adam
Bob Hollinshead
Guru
Guru

MarkR wrote:Bob, I just measured the 73' 049 head --chamber 125cc
--exhaust 110cc
--intake 245cc
I measure the intake ports on an 049 head cast on 1/27/72
bad port was 252cc
good port was 264cc
Pro question poster.
vortecpro
Guru
Guru

Post by vortecpro »

racear2865 wrote:OK got a square port "Holley Strip Dominator"going on a round port 049 head. Head had 2.190/1.880 valves with quite a bit 0f porting inside especially around the valves. Has comp cam roller hyd cam extreme energy 280HR(232/232 @.050-.566//.566 on 110 installed at 106 . BBC 454 stroke and bored to 496. Has 10.8 compression. Quench .039.
Eagle H-Beam rod 6.585. Mahle small dome piston. Tool steel lightened pin. Metric ring pack. 850 cfm Quick Fuel "Q" series carb. All bearings coated by Calico.
He is looking for mid range torque--doesnt care about HP. Trying to get on dyno today or morrow. What will it pull up to 5500. I will post what we get. Im looking forward to this. question--will it pull 600 on tq?
reed
question--will it pull 600 on tq? I think it will, I've seen some pretty amazing power out of oval port big blocks. Make sure to post the dyno test!
Racing a NA NHRA stocker should be mandatory before any posting.
racear2865
Guru
Guru

Post by racear2865 »

vortecpro wrote:
racear2865 wrote:OK got a square port "Holley Strip Dominator"going on a round port 049 head. Head had 2.190/1.880 valves with quite a bit 0f porting inside especially around the valves. Has comp cam roller hyd cam extreme energy 280HR(232/232 @.050-.566//.566 on 110 installed at 106 . BBC 454 stroke and bored to 496. Has 10.8 compression. Quench .039.
reed
question--will it pull 600 on tq? I think it will, I've seen some pretty amazing power out of oval port big blocks. Make sure to post the dyno test!
Have 10 pulls on it now. Timing and carb adjustments cost some time. Will most numbers when back in shop Monday.
reed
vortecpro
Guru
Guru

Post by vortecpro »

My 498 oval port dyno test Friday Feb 28. I sure would have been nice if you would have taken the time to post the results.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Racing a NA NHRA stocker should be mandatory before any posting.