Before/After grooved head pictures

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

DCal
Expert
Expert

Post by DCal »

Please please don't cut grooves in your pistons. For sure they will oil-can and for sure you will lose some top ring seal. Four or five years ago we had 450 gram Pro Stock pistons but since then we've seen more power with the weights around 500 grams, and most of the gains were in thicking the crowns and skirts.
Troy Patterson
Guru
Guru
Combustion chamber modification

Post by Troy Patterson »

Hi, I'd like to know what booster was / is utilized in the Dominator carburetor run on this engine?
Troy Patterson
Guru
Guru
Grooved head

Post by Troy Patterson »

Hi, I'd like to know what style of boosters are run in the Dominator on that engine?

The change is dramatic and very interesting.

I've performed years of r&d with carbs / engine and have observed similar changes in boosters alone.

Troy Patterson TMPCarbs.net TMP Carbs
Last edited by Troy Patterson on Sat Feb 17, 2007 11:05 pm, edited 3 times in total.
automotive breath
Guru
Guru
Re: Grooved head

Post by automotive breath »

Troy Patterson wrote:Hi, I'd like to know what style of boosters are run in the Dominator on that engine?

9375 1050CFM Dominator; Annular Boosters
Fatman
Guru
Guru
grooves

Post by Fatman »

automotive breath wrote:The only people that I am aware of using this on race engines are in southern Louisiana, that's where I introduced the idea two years ago. I have done more than 20 sets of heads, about 2 - 3 sets a month now. My work has been exclusively on the wedge chamber only because that’s all we run.

I modified my Suburban last year, it is used primarily to pull my enclosed trailer to the track. I milled the heads 0.050" to raise the compression one point and cut the grooves. I have been very pleased with the results, no knock retard running 87 regular pulling 7000 lbs.

The best sites to read about current activity are http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthrea ... 370&page=2 and
http://mpgresearch.info/viewtopic.php?t ... .php?t=160
Anyone running a turbo will be interested.

On turbobricks Morten wrote:After 2 weeks of driving with the groves. This is my results. I'm able to use the same boost pressure on regular, as i had with premium petrol before. 220 kpa with the same timing.

Fuel consumption. Before 28 Mpg Imp. Best.
After 32 Mpg Imp and i'm still tuning.

AFR before at cruise 16-1 After at cruise 17.5-1 and nothing strange drivability problems. I'm going to try 18-1 next week if i can burn it.

So far i'm Happy.

BR
Morten
AB
With more than 20 sets done have you got any track results of motor before and motor after grooves with no other changes but tuning to suit the grooved head?

I think it would also be acceptable if you had a compression increase if that compression increase was only able to be achieved because of the grooves and the engine would not have been able to handle that compression ratio pregroove.
automotive breath
Guru
Guru
Re: grooves

Post by automotive breath »

Fatman wrote:AB With more than 20 sets done have you got any track results of motor before and motor after grooves with no other changes but tuning to suit the grooved head?

I think it would also be acceptable if you had a compression increase if that compression increase was only able to be achieved because of the grooves and the engine would not have been able to handle that compression ratio pregroove.
Yes, I have done controlled testing on the street and at the race track. I grooved my AFR 190s running on a 355 in my 67 Camaro. The modified engine is more resistant to detonation and responds to a leaner Air/Fuel ratio. Low RPM power is improved and with the 355 I found the RPM range was extended at the top end. The most noticeable differences are the clean oil and the idle quality; it's not uncommon to be able to reduce the idle speed of the modified engine by 500 RPM. Engine with 270+ duration @ 0.050" idling at 600 RPM.

You are right, to realize the total benefit, additional modifications can be done with the grooves. I don't believe the engine in my Suburban would pull 7000 lbs at 10:1 compression with 87 octane with out the grooves, milling the heads 0.050" and the grooves combined to realize the desired benefit, reductions in fuel consumption. The only problem is the computer gets confused and wants to dump fuel with a heavy load; modifications are needed to the engine management system to finish the package.