Racecar batterys,OPTIMA

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

dave brode
Expert
Expert

Re: Racecar batterys,OPTIMA

Post by dave brode »

Is the desufating thing really all that?

Can this cheap charger really do all those types of batteries well?

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/ ... _200589669

Why these two different charger, if the little one can do them all? Or am I missing something?

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/ ... _200589669

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/ ... _200326706
justahoby
HotPass
HotPass
Location: In Stephenville, Texas, USA from Thunder Bay, Canada

Post by justahoby »

treyrags wrote:
OptimaJim wrote:I apologize for the misunderstanding justahoby. When I asked you if you had pulled the post off, I didn't understand that you had disconnected the terminal from the post and not pulled the post/stud off the battery. So where was the burned up alternator and dimming headlights in the chronology of your events? You did indicate you had both of those issues, didn't you? I'll gladly send you an empty box with an airbill.

Jim McIlvaine
eCare Manager, OPTIMA Batteries
http://www.pinterest.com/optimabatteries
Jim,

You don't need to apologize. His smartass attitude and cynical remarks point to an inferiority complex. Student, go figure. Thanks for contributing your battery knowledge.
As I'm approaching 40,I still think I'm 20. What the hell is wrong with me?
justahoby
HotPass
HotPass

Post by justahoby »

treyrags wrote:
OptimaJim wrote:I apologize for the misunderstanding justahoby. When I asked you if you had pulled the post off, I didn't understand that you had disconnected the terminal from the post and not pulled the post/stud off the battery. So where was the burned up alternator and dimming headlights in the chronology of your events? You did indicate you had both of those issues, didn't you? I'll gladly send you an empty box with an airbill.

Jim McIlvaine
http://www.pinterest.com/optimabatteries
Jim,

You don't need to apologize. His smartass attitude and cynical remarks point to an inferiority complex. Student, go figure. Thanks for contributing your battery knowledge.
I apologize if I come off smart ass.. But the fact is if you see what I was saying ,
People point fingers , and diagnose without listening to all the facts. I had to say it three times
You can become a student at any age... My father quit turning wrenches years ago, and works in hospitals now.
I did not however make a personal attack as you just did. I am in my mid 30s and have a wonderful family. You meant your comment to hurt , well it did...
Hope that makes you feel better...

Optima Jim got your pm pm sent thanks for your response.
justahoby
HotPass
HotPass

Post by justahoby »

Again I apologize for being "'cynical" . It was far
From my intentions. -Nathan
barnym17
Guru
Guru

Post by barnym17 »

Perhaps if you get the battery back to optima jim they can dissect and find the problem and if necessary correct an issue before it bites some one else.
John Wallace
Guru
Guru

Post by John Wallace »

I apologize if I come off smart ass.. But the fact is if you see what I was saying ,
People point fingers , and diagnose without listening to all the facts. I had to say it three times
I think the main problem was in your 1st 3 posts, you kept saying you pulled the "post" off.
Everyone here (or most everyone) thought this was the battery post coming out of the battery, not good for the battery.
:mrgreen:

He even mentioned it twice and you kept saying "yes the post".

Then finally you replied with a comment about him putting 'words' in your mouth.
He quoted you exactly.

It is called the battery cable clamp.
(that you pulled off the battery post which is an integral part of the battery and not removable)

Besides that, not answering his other questions or blowing them off, doesn't 'prove ' the battery is bad.

Anyway, BTT.

:)
John Wallace
Pontiac Power RULES !
www.wallaceracing.com
racinnut15xm
Pro
Pro

Post by racinnut15xm »

barnym17 wrote:Perhaps if you get the battery back to optima jim they can dissect and find the problem and if necessary correct an issue before it bites some one else.
i hope they work it out to get the battery back to optimajim to determine if that was really the case. Maybe he got a bad altenator whenever he replaced it most recently?
justahoby
HotPass
HotPass

Post by justahoby »

My apology for using the wrong terminology , I see the confusion now.
I have a knack for the slang ... As you can see the post itself didnt come off, but to some it made them wonder...

Optimajim has sent a way to send the battery back so it may be refurbished/ recycled.
I guess gel cells can sulfate too.
OptimaJim

Post by OptimaJim »

"Gel cells" are another term used to describe our battery, which is not accurate, although some folks see the "G" in AGM and make the connection to gel, when that really stands for glass. Optima batteries are AGM lead-acid batteries in a SpiralCell design. The unusual shape probably also adds to the confusion, but they are definitely not gel batteries. In fact, I have yet to come across a gel battery in an automotive application. The difference is significant, because gel batteries have very narrow charging parameters that may not fully-charge non-gel batteries and could damage them over time. There are also a lot of chargers on the market that have "gel" or confusing "agm/gel" settings, that may not fully-charge non-gel batteries.

Because our batteries are lead-acid in their design, they can sulfate. I sent a pre-paid box out to Nathan today (I hope your wife is doing better).

Jim McIlvaine
www.pinterest.com/optimabatteries