Alot of timing to make it run...48

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

PackardV8
Guru
Guru

Re: Alot of timing to make it run...48

Post by PackardV8 »

Forty is about what one might expect to work. So, any hard evidence as to what the extra 8 degrees was all about? Real, imagined, bad parts, whatever?
Jack Vines
Studebaker-Packard V8 Limited
Obsolete Engineering
groberts101
Guru
Guru

Post by groberts101 »

PackardV8 wrote:Forty is about what one might expect to work. So, any hard evidence as to what the extra 8 degrees was all about? Real, imagined, bad parts, whatever?

Yeah.. 8 degree variance seems like a lot and I'd question the previous setup over this one.

I will speculate that if he tunes/richens that carb as he advances it.. it'll take plenty more. Just be sure to hook up the map sensor to dial in some killer ultra-light throttle/lean burn into the mix. I just saved the 80 bucks on MSD's version and repinned the harness to match a factory Vortec unit which I had laying around and it works slick.

That trick little red box ended up giving me a full and steady 15 degrees of vacuum at 900 rpm on my last 246/110LSA solid roller street setup. Because I could never give the motor the advance it wanted at really low rpm without wiping out the mid and top end.. the best I could ever get was 13 degrees with every curve known to man. It wasn't until I started tuning out the surge and lean misses caused by heavy spark lead that I realized just how much initial timing some engines really like.

IMO, these new computers are worth every penny and minute of required tuning if you're running any thing above a moderately cam'd street car. The programmable 7 series is even sweeter with better coil setup too.
SonnyJames

Post by SonnyJames »

I didn't take the time and find out if it was the coil,box or dist. I changed all out at once. I suspect the box