Moderator: Team

CNC BLOCKS
Guru
Guru

Re: engine assemply horsepower tricks/tips

Post by CNC BLOCKS »

ParDeus wrote:
CNC BLOCKS wrote:
ParDeus wrote:I will defer, as to not muck this thread up anymore.

Horsepower tip: Sizing your lifters/bores at 210degF

Also, the right finish on spring seats can help high rpm apps live a little longer. Also make sure your retainers/locks fit properly. Profiling to gain contact area is usually needed.
So that would work in a marine application where water temp is under 145 degrees HMMMMMMMM
So you run your lifters in water? Interesting...

You know the oil/block temp can greatly vary from the water temp, right?

210 is not a perfect temp, but it is enough to show significant distortion. Like hot plate valve jobbing; It's not at the actual operating temp, but it's better than 65f. Similar, again, to setting hot lash. It is only a guesstimate, because doing so at operating temp is either impossible or not economical.

I second the previous poster who mentioned a slight offset in head positioning. That, in conjunction with the right head gasket.
Could you copy and paste my quote where I said I run my lifters in water??

You never answered my question
I am a guy with a few machines as you say so what do have for machines???????????? Back at ya. :mrgreen:
Just comparing apples to apples here LOL
Website is up and running
http://hinksonautomotive-cncblocks.com/
Machine shop tour
http://hinksonautomotive-cncblocks.com/shop-tour/
Monthly Specials
http://hinksonautomotive-cncblocks.com/specials/
55MM babbit cam bearings with 1 hole
ParDeus
Pro
Pro

Post by ParDeus »

I don't have any interest in a pissing contest. I'm sure you have more machines. With that said, wait until December 17th :twisted:
I won't lie and say I own something when the deal has not closed. But when in does, I bet you'll be begging for the inventory of SHP's that comes with it :mrgreen:

Hell, I'm not a machinist. Neither are most "machinists". That term is used way too loosely. Automotive machining is a relatively simple undertaking, sorry if that deflates that inflated ego of yours.

I'm a racer, it's in my veins. I'm 28, and recently decided not to finish Med School, and focus solely on racing. Previously, I ran the old Oddy's Perfection Engineering shop after it changed hands. We grabbed a few national championships during my time, and my engines powered many of the APBA and OSS SuperBoats. Yet, I was only 20 when I started there, and my error was thinking I was invincible. I was not as good as I thought; all in all a good lesson. We did REAL R&D, like being the first to marinize the Duramax. Soooo, you're right...I wouldn't know how to handle a marine engine...

Also did a stint in T/F. It made me realize what a shitty mechanic I am. I started on bottom ends, then clutch. My OCD cost us a few rounds, at minimum.

I work for 2 shops, currently. One has a few P/S championships, the other does Cup work, including a championship. One job is strictly mental, with a dash of physical work. The other is full-time, and I learn every day. The more I learn, the more I recognize I don't know.

Every time I see Jon Schmidt, Darin, Keith, Mike Lewis, Kasse, SWR, Stuart, Randy, Erland, Warp Speed et al post, I feel retarded. I have great respect for those guys, and many others here.

They all act as gentlemen, even though 1 of them likes to stir the pot a bit.

They are all class acts, and mostly well known. Guess what? NONE of them have the posting proclivity of yourself. Take note.

I'm sure you're better at everything. That's an honest statement. You're still a dick. I'll be pretty easy to find at PRI, btw.
Now, I've laid it out for you. Judge me how you wish.

PS: I hate to take this thread o/t, but let's face it...Everyone likes drama, lol.
sanfordandson
Guru
Guru

Post by sanfordandson »

Typical Carl talking down to anybody who doesn't have the machines he does.
ParDeus
Pro
Pro

Post by ParDeus »

BTW, several P/S teams have only a few machines... I guess they should bow to "King Rottler" :roll:

EDIT: What a great way to spend the holiday... I wish I drank :?
CNC BLOCKS
Guru
Guru

Post by CNC BLOCKS »

sanfordandson wrote:Typical Carl talking down to anybody who doesn't have the machines he does.

And how many machines do you have Just comparing apples to apples here that's all LOL.
Machine shop tour
Monthly Specials
CNC BLOCKS
Guru
Guru

Post by CNC BLOCKS »

ParDeus wrote:I don't have any interest in a pissing contest. I'm sure you have more machines. With that said, wait until December 17th :twisted:
I won't lie and say I own something when the deal has not closed. But when in does, I bet you'll be begging for the inventory of SHP's that comes with it :mrgreen:

Hell, I'm not a machinist. Neither are most "machinists". That term is used way too loosely. Automotive machining is a relatively simple undertaking, sorry if that deflates that inflated ego of yours.

I'm a racer, it's in my veins. I'm 28, and recently decided not to finish Med School, and focus solely on racing. Previously, I ran the old Oddy's Perfection Engineering shop after it changed hands. We grabbed a few national championships during my time, and my engines powered many of the APBA and OSS SuperBoats. Yet, I was only 20 when I started there, and my error was thinking I was invincible. I was not as good as I thought; all in all a good lesson. We did REAL R&D, like being the first to marinize the Duramax. Soooo, you're right...I wouldn't know how to handle a marine engine...

Also did a stint in T/F. It made me realize what a shitty mechanic I am. I started on bottom ends, then clutch. My OCD cost us a few rounds, at minimum.

I work for 2 shops, currently. One has a few P/S championships, the other does Cup work, including a championship. One job is strictly mental, with a dash of physical work. The other is full-time, and I learn every day. The more I learn, the more I recognize I don't know.

Every time I see Jon Schmidt, Darin, Keith, Mike Lewis, Kasse, SWR, Stuart, Randy, Erland, Warp Speed et al post, I feel retarded. I have great respect for those guys, and many others here.

They all act as gentlemen, even though 1 of them likes to stir the pot a bit.

They are all class acts, and mostly well known. Guess what? NONE of them have the posting proclivity of yourself. Take note.

I'm sure you're better at everything. That's an honest statement. You're still a dick. I'll be pretty easy to find at PRI, btw.
Now, I've laid it out for you. Judge me how you wish.

PS: I hate to take this thread o/t, but let's face it...Everyone likes drama, lol.
Took you long enough to answer that LOL Thanks.

I have only been in this trade since 1977 and have a lot of circle track champions over the years, Believe it or not I do help a lot of people out and have built engines and machined a lot of blocks for a lot of guys on this board and other boards as well.

It makes me wonder when guys come on here and spew lifter bore clearances, aluminum blocks temps ETC and they have never machined a lifter bore.

I can be a dick and some times that maybe an under statement to say the least LOL.

It has taken a lot of years and money to get where I am at and I consider my self to have a premier shop and am fortunate to have everything paid off no mortgage or nothing. Now I can work on what I want and pass on the jobs I don't feel like doing.

Thanks for your reply. I am glad I stopped drinking LOL
Machine shop tour
Monthly Specials
KnightEngines
Guru
Guru

Post by KnightEngines »

I'm a 1 man show, I have 8 machines, none of them has so much as a digital read out, they are all old manual setup machines, well maintained & in good nick, but old.
My engines win races & championships, I build for guys all over the country.

I care not even a little bit for CNC, I wanna 'feel' the metal, not let a machine make the decisions.
Hell, I use a honing cabinet, stroked by hand - & I do a betterjob with it than most shops with the latest sunnen gear, just takes a little longer & requires a bit more sweat.

CNC does not a good machinist make.

Carl - maybe sit back & admit that the machines do not make the shop, the machinist does.
CNC BLOCKS
Guru
Guru

Post by CNC BLOCKS »

BlackKnight wrote:
CNC BLOCKS wrote:
BlackKnight wrote:what bearing clearences would you guys recommend for a high reving (9500 rpm) small block ford? the oil i will be using is the same i always use, 5w30 synthetic and i would like to keep it as loose as possible. it's a 3.90 billet crank, grp alluminun rods and wiesco coated pistons. cam bearings are of course already installed, which are also coated race deals.
What is the application?
All out drag racing. Mostly 1/4 mile but some 1/8.
It would really depend on what mains and rod journal you are running, That being said aluminum rods do expand more then a steel rod and at running temp there seems to always be enough clearance.

Are you having a problem?
Machine shop tour
Monthly Specials
BlackKnight
Pro
Pro

Post by BlackKnight »

BlackKnight wrote:what bearing clearences would you guys recommend for a high reving (9500 rpm) small block ford? the oil i will be using is the same i always use, 5w30 synthetic and i would like to keep it as loose as possible. it's a 3.90 billet crank, grp alluminun rods and wiesco coated pistons. cam bearings are of course already installed, which are also coated race deals.
Can anyone provide information toward the above post? It's all out drag setup.
Dutchman

Post by Dutchman »

BlackKnight wrote:
I hope you find your answer before this gets booted off,I am interested as well.
CNC BLOCKS
Guru
Guru

Post by CNC BLOCKS »

KnightEngines wrote:I'm a 1 man show, I have 8 machines, none of them has so much as a digital read out, they are all old manual setup machines, well maintained & in good nick, but old.
My engines win races & championships, I build for guys all over the country.

I care not even a little bit for CNC, I wanna 'feel' the metal, not let a machine make the decisions.
Hell, I use a honing cabinet, stroked by hand - & I do a betterjob with it than most shops with the latest sunnen gear, just takes a little longer & requires a bit more sweat.

CNC does not a good machinist make.

Carl - maybe sit back & admit that the machines do not make the shop, the machinist does.
I would say I have a pretty reputation out there.

Guys that have never had a CNC machine always criticize some one that does but I can tell you there is nothing like it and it does take a good operator and having a machine that you can go back and probe out the work you done. I use to machine with out a CNC machine I know what it takes!!! Been in this trade since 1977 and have seen it all and have heard worse BS then what your telling me!!!

I have a Sunnen 616 cylinder king and over a hand operated machine it light years, I am sure it does not have an automatic feed and honing by hand does not give you consistent cross hatch either. Rather then argue with me on how good a hand operated hone is call Sunnen and tell them how good you are. I have been over a lot of hone jobs done with an inadequate hone.

Again call Sunnen and see what they say!!
Machine shop tour
Monthly Specials
KnightEngines
Guru
Guru

Post by KnightEngines »

Comparing a hack hone cabinet job to a good one is just like comparing a hack sunnen hone job to a good one.
You're missing my point.
A good job can be done with either, a bad job can be done with either, it's the operator that makes the job, not the machine.

Judging my hone jobs having never seen them just says you're arrogant.

I get my bores within a tenth or 2 & can control the crosshatch angle consistantly, I've been using the same honing cabinet for 16 years.
I've used it to correct bores done by other shops with sunnen gear operated by a hack, being hand stroked makes it a lot quicker & easier to straighten out problem bores.

Just sayin, CNC does not make the shop, the guys in it do.
Zebedeehall

Post by Zebedeehall »

Dutchman wrote:
BlackKnight wrote:
I hope you find your answer before this gets booted off,I am interested as well.
So do I. It can be an informative thread if it stay the course.
KnightEngines
Guru
Guru

Post by KnightEngines »

I'd run it at .003" on the mains, .00225" on the rods.
CNC BLOCKS
Guru
Guru

Post by CNC BLOCKS »

KnightEngines wrote:Comparing a hack hone cabinet job to a good one is just like comparing a hack sunnen hone job to a good one.
You're missing my point.
A good job can be done with either, a bad job can be done with either, it's the operator that makes the job, not the machine.

Judging my hone jobs having never seen them just says you're arrogant.

I get my bores within a tenth or 2 & can control the crosshatch angle consistantly, I've been using the same honing cabinet for 16 years.
I've used it to correct bores done by other shops with sunnen gear operated by a hack, being hand stroked makes it a lot quicker & easier to straighten out problem bores.

Just sayin, CNC does not make the shop, the guys in it do.
You think a hone is a hone and your wrong again call Sunnen and tell them how good your machine is over what they have produced for years don't keep crying to me as I know the difference. There is a big reason big name shops use Sunnen hones and they are not cheap and there is a reason.

Stone shoe stone shoe every 90 degrees is not the hot set just ask Sunnen. More so when a plate is installed and one stone hits a high spot in the cylinder and pushes the other stone into the cylinder, That's why my Sunnen 616 has one stone angled 10 degrees ahead of the other stone that's how a Sunnen hone will round up a Cylinder over a cheaper machine.

Try honing a Brodix block with your machine and tell me how that works.

I have proved myself and my shop I have nothing to hide.

Save your BS for Sunnen and give them a call as I have heard all this type of BS before. I am glad I spent money on what I consider good equipment and I can verify my work when its done!!!

Lets see I use a HAAS CNC machining center and Hendrick Motorsports uses them as well and they still use Sunnen 616 hone if its good enough for them its good enough for my needs.

Having good equipment and being able to run the equipment seems to get me a lot of work for some reason

Remember you brought this up not me as I am just answering with what is factual info no BS
Machine shop tour
Monthly Specials