Importance of Valve Job

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

BlackKnight
Pro
Pro

Importance of Valve Job

Post by BlackKnight »

Gentelmen, I am new to the form and have a question for head porters. If there's some sort of initiation I'm sure to fail, so I hope I can get a response. Questions; How important is a valve job to a race engine? Moreover, are there any head porters that doesn't do there own valve jobs?
JoePorting
Guru
Guru

Re: Importance of Valve Job

Post by JoePorting »

It's very important. If you're doing a intake 45 degree valve job, use the Sunnen #17258 bit. For the exhaust, use the #17536 bit. They're both on page 17 of the below Sunnen catalog.

http://www.sunnen.com/graphics/assets/d ... 3b0d7d.pdf
Last edited by JoePorting on Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Joe Facciano
justahoby
HotPass
HotPass
Location: In Stephenville, Texas, USA from Thunder Bay, Canada

Post by justahoby »

I am no expert, but by my experience valves and piston ring seal are never to be ignored..
Some people find the need to use a roundout gage to less than .0001"
A poorer yet sufficient crappy job on the valves can show fluttering on a vacuum gage.
If a valve dont seal, it can burn over time, and loose even more compression.
A good sealing valve is power..
As I'm approaching 40,I still think I'm 20. What the hell is wrong with me?
BlackKnight
Pro
Pro

Post by BlackKnight »

thanks guys. the reason I asked is because i had a set of heads ported and the valve job sucks (putting it mildly) and they are leaking air everywhere. it's obvious that there is no valve job at all. no little rings around the seats as i've seen on the web, nothing but light shining through and air flowing past the valve. in the end it was a learning process and i will never spend another dime with the guy, but i'm having them fixed now. i will direct my local guy to the site posted here. thanks again
Zebedeehall

Post by Zebedeehall »

BlackKnight wrote:thanks guys. the reason I asked is because i had a set of heads ported and the valve job sucks (putting it mildly) and they are leaking air everywhere. it's obvious that there is no valve job at all. no little rings around the seats as i've seen on the web, nothing but light shining through and air flowing past the valve. in the end it was a learning process and i will never spend another dime with the guy, but i'm having them fixed now. i will direct my local guy to the site posted here. thanks again
Wow, that's amazing! What's really amazing is that I had a similar situation. Probable not as bad but still jacked up. I read your other post on another forum and we seem to have some things in common. Good luck in getting your heads fixed.
Cubic_Cleveland
Guru
Guru

Post by Cubic_Cleveland »

As has been said, the valve job is extremely important. Not only for sealing and valve life, but the right valve job can help get more airflow, and the wrong valve job can hurt considerably.

To answer your second question. No, the head porter doesn't have to do the valve job, but should know what he wants in the valve job. I see it written here a lot that a good porter must do his own seats and if they don't the porter can't be good. This is rubbish. I cut the seats for my own port work as well as others (quite good porters at that too). Just because you don't cut seats doesn't mean you can't port. If you have the seats cut to your specs, and work closely with the guy doing them, what's the difference?
ProPower engines
Guru
Guru

Post by ProPower engines »

Just as an example. Back in the 80's when we used the Busch type V6 in our tour car when the valves started leaking and they did that often till I tightened the guide clearance from what AFR supplied the engine would loose 50-60HP and in track time that was 2-3 10th's.
That was not a real bad leak either maybe 1% but still a leaks of any kind from the valves is just plain bad news.
Real Race Cars Don't Have Doors
Abbottracingheads
Expert
Expert

Post by Abbottracingheads »

The valve job is one of the most critical parts of reworking heads for performance. The valve job sets the basis for what you are going to do with heads. One valve job cutter does not fit all scenarios. Also if the valves do not seal all is wasted.
Abbott Racing Heads and Engines
MaxFlow
Expert
Expert

Post by MaxFlow »

Looks means virtually nothing to me. Will it vacuum test? That tells the story.
Joe Stalnaker
WV
saleen385

Post by saleen385 »

I'm on a 2 sets of heads a week development program for NASCAR cup & nationwide/truck engines. So I play a lot with the VJ. I widened the seat the other day .040 and lost 40hp.
You can make or break a good head with just the VJ.

Jim
wil8115
Pro
Pro

Post by wil8115 »

saleen385 wrote:I'm on a 2 sets of heads a week development program for NASCAR cup & nationwide/truck engines. So I play a lot with the VJ. I widened the seat the other day .040 and lost 40hp.

Jim

I'm curious, from what to what?
BlackKnight
Pro
Pro

Post by BlackKnight »

MaxFlow wrote:Looks means virtually nothing to me. Will it vacuum test? That tells the story.
no! they would not pass a vacuum test. i'm having the valve job re-done by someone else. thanks guys.
BlackKnight
Pro
Pro

Post by BlackKnight »

saleen385 wrote:I'm on a 2 sets of heads a week development program for NASCAR cup & nationwide/truck engines. So I play a lot with the VJ. I widened the seat the other day .040 and lost 40hp.

Jim
i'm hoping the heads pick up after they are fixed. i have been looking on line at back-cut valves and valve jobs that have three rings/cuts around the seat area. my heads don't have single ring/cut around the seat area. is there ever a reason not to cut the rings around the seat area, which is what i thought was a valve job, on a race prepped head?
user-9274568

Post by user-9274568 »

Your saying it has a radius seat on the intake? It doesn't have sharp edges.

Does the intake seat look like the exhaust seat?

This is a sharp edge, both seats.

TMSJoe
Expert
Expert

Post by TMSJoe »

I'm guessing he is not seeing the 3 defined angles from a typical 3 angle valve job.