Dyno tune up---100 HP

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

thedynoguy

Re: Dyno tune up---100 HP

Post by thedynoguy »

bigjoe1 wrote: Where else can you get over 100 HP for six or sever hundred dollars.

JOE SHERMAN RACING
Hey Phil, apparently I don't charge enough... :lol:
nitro2
Vendor

Post by nitro2 »

KnightEngines wrote:^ couldn't agree more.

Had an engine on the dyno a few weeks ago, first few pulls it was fine, we were getting close to the tune.
All of a sudden it dropped 40hp from 5250rpm up.
We thought we hurt it, went through everything, leakdown, valve springs, lifters etc etc, all was fine.
Took a while to find it - the ignition system was pulling 10 deg timing in the top end, didn't do it to start with, just started doing it after a 6 or so pulls.
We got lucky, if it had done it from the first pull we wouldn't have gone looking - even with 10 deg getting pulled in the top end the motor was still making decent HP, we woulda just figured that was all it had.
Left alone it woulda melted stuff, in the end we had to fit a crank trigger to fix it.

If it had never gone on an engine dyno no-one would have known it was pulling timing & the motor would have died.
A combustion pressure analyzer would've picked that up right away, whether it happened on the 6th run or right from the get go on the 1st run. Saved some head scratching and disassembly/re-assembly. :wink:

We've seen this sort of thing on more than one occasion. I recall once the powers that be (at another facility) absolutely insisting the timing was right, despite the fact our combustion analyzer said the combustion location was wrong (meaning the timing was wrong). 30 wasted pulls later the powers that be stopped insisting that the timing was right and changed out the broken parts :lol: In the end it turned out to be human error rather than the ignition system, fortunately that issue was resolved before the engine left their doors.

I remember one time a car with a turbo import engine being tested by one of our customers, for one of their customers. The thing made fairly decent power with the tune it had, but as it turned out the combustion process, was oscillating between normal combustion, pre-ignition and detonation. Basically a few normal cycles, a few detonation cycles, and a few pre-ignition cycles, then a few normal cycles and repeated over and over again, instead of the usual scenario of normal combustion with a certain amount of variability cycle to cycle. I forget now what the culprit ended up being but when fixed power went up some, and durability probably went up in spades. :lol:

Good job Joe, I'm sure that guy will be telling the 100 HP story to his grandkids someday, only by then it'll be 200 HP that you added that day !
High Speed Combustion Pressure Tuning Equipment
TFX Engine Technology Inc.
tfx.engine@yahoo.com
www.tfxengine.com
cfm
Pro
Pro

Post by cfm »

thedynoguy wrote:
bigjoe1 wrote: Where else can you get over 100 HP for six or sever hundred dollars.

JOE SHERMAN RACING

You are not from CA where you can get fined for the green house gases that come out of your lungs. #-o
hondo383
Pro
Pro

Post by hondo383 »

what fuel was being used?
levisnteeshirt
Guru
Guru

Post by levisnteeshirt »

just read an article where a 4777 650 provided more out of the box hp than a 750 HP carb on a 408 ci engine ,, so if you think its as easy as opening a box ,, it isn't ,,
jmarkaudio
Vendor

Post by jmarkaudio »

Nothing the right calibration shouldn't fix. It is simple when you don't do crazy stuff to the emulsion package.
Mark Whitener
www.racingfuelsystems.com
____

Good work isn't cheap and cheap work can't be good.
6sally6
Expert
Expert

Post by 6sally6 »

Great job Joe!!
Too bad your shop isn't in Charleston.
You da MAN!
6sally6
af2
Guru
Guru

Post by af2 »

Lockwire wrote:
greg wrote:Neva knew a Ferd cud make that mush HP hahahahahah... :^o

Greg, this is your great opportunity to get it off of your chest. TELL US WHAT YOU HAVE DONE................. :lol:
He meant to say............... Without spray!!!! LOLOL
GURU is only a name.
Adam
af2
Guru
Guru

Post by af2 »

cfm wrote:
thedynoguy wrote:

JOE SHERMAN RACING

You are not from CA where you can get fined for the green house gases that come out of your lungs. #-o
Or your ass!!!
GURU is only a name.
Adam
fdicrasto
Expert
Expert

Post by fdicrasto »

thedynoguy wrote:

JOE SHERMAN RACING
Dang it Tom, you were not supposed to see that :mrgreen: Phil
steve cowan
Guru
Guru

Post by steve cowan »

this is what i like about big joe-he gets the job done-he answers a question with a straight answer -no fluff-that is why he is a show guest and to me is a true champion =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>
steve c
"Pretty don't make power"
quickd100
Pro
Pro

Post by quickd100 »

I'm sort of an oddball, I like to be a bit different from the crowd. I run carter thermoquads on just about all my own junk. They can be VERY sensitive to rear air door adjustments. When tuning my old 528 hemi on the dyno the first pull the power was down a bit and it was a little rich. I opened the rear air doors, (tunnelram and 2, 850 thermoquads) .050 and picked up almost 60hp. The next pull I opened them up another .050 and lost most of the 60 hp.Dave
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v514/quickd100/9ff3c690.jpg[/img]
A HotRod
Pro
Pro

Post by A HotRod »

Thanks for sharing your story Joe, 100 HP Gain tuning the carb is amazing!
Glenn
Glenn
bigjoe1
Show Guest
Show Guest

Post by bigjoe1 »

The guys I helped on the dyno are going to race their car for the first time with the new, improved engine this week end. I will share with every one how it runs with all the new found horsepower.

JOE SHERMAN RACING
firebuick

Post by firebuick »

thank you joe im looking foward to this
buick regal 1983 357 chevrolet turbo 350 4.10 gn rear eddy rpm heads comp cam 294s 750 double pumper

11,92 @ 113.58 mph 7.59 1/8 1.59 60' street car