Adger Smith
Adger Smith Performance Engines
903 794 7223 shop
903 824 4924 cell
adgersperf@aol.com e-mail
lluciano77
Re: Lean spot from 1800 to 2,500 light throttle

Post by lluciano77 »

I'm at .028" on the 2 and 4 positions. Exactly where they are on holley block.
No t slot restrictors.
lluciano77

Post by lluciano77 »

I have to pull the blocks this weekend. I don't havey drill index with me to measure
n5ifi
Pro
Pro

Post by n5ifi »

lluciano77 wrote:I have to pull the blocks this weekend. I don't havey drill index with me to measure

You understand that I know in real life you fancy yourself a carb expert, right?

I was just playing along for fun and figured some of the other guys knew too.

Dang, I forgot to put "check the float level first".

That's where I would start.

Here is a post you made on another forum. This is not the whole post.

I know more than 99.99% of the people in the world about Holleys and how they work. More than the Holley and more than the techs at BG. I have proven them wrong beyond any doubt on many occasions. Believe it or not I don't care if you guys believe me or not. I come on here to share my knowledge and help people get their cars running better. I am not here to boast or stomp around and bully other posters into submission. You only ruin the chance for other people to learn something by trash talking me and arguing a point you have NEVER researched.
lorax
Guru
Guru

Post by lorax »

n5ifi wrote:
lluciano77 wrote:
It does ring of a setup doesn't it?

Have you ever read the trouble shoot tips on the lid of a washing machine to perform BEFORE calling the repair man? IS THE MACHINE PLUGGED IN?????
Is it out of line to assume that anybody that can gap a plug is smart enough to check the float level before posting online, or even remotely considering modifying a carb?

Is it really necessary for the guy in the tool store to ask a customer returning a drill motor that doesn't run if he plugged it in?

if so, maybe DVs book is just one more PEFECT Holley carb book after all.
GARY C
HotPass
HotPass

Post by GARY C »

lluciano77 wrote:I have a wideband 02 sensor, a vacuum gauge in the dash, and a tach. I know exactly where my engine goes lean....1800 to 2500 RPM. This happens in drive (3rd) with light to moderate accel. My fuel curve is right on the money everywhere else. At the above cruise RPM I am usually around 16" of vacuum. Distributor curve is good as well at 20 initial, 34 total, and basically all in at 3,000 RPM. With a 3 step dist. curve. I have vacuum advance set at 5" via manifold vacuum and all in by ilde vacuum (12"). My torque converter is a 2,500 stall.

My carb is a Demon Annular 830. I am using the lower IFR locations. Metering blocks are at Holley 4 hole spec. Primaries are at .020" showing and square below the blades. I am running a 6.5 PV. Jetting and PVCR area is good all around. At least under full throttle launches.

On the wideband 02 the fuel curve doesn't richen up when the above problem happens. It stays roughly at 14.5:1, untill I pass this range or dowshift and then goes to a more healthy 12.5 under heavier load.

My IFRs are possibly smaller than they should be. I know last time I messed with the carb I brought them down, and enlarged the IABs to get my idle right. I don't have all the sizes...will have to measure this weekend. But I am guessing the IFRs could be at .028"

So with the above known. I was thinking of running a 10.5" PV. But I don't want to waste gas in other conditions. Where is the most likely place to cover this gap? Larger IFRs? The 10.5 PV? Or could this be an MAB problem not bringing my main circuit in in time?
Being the dumb one that I am I have to ask, what engine, cubic inch, compression, head and intake runner cc, and complete cam specs...Type Hyd or solid flat or roller and specs, duration on seat, @.050 and LSA as well as installed centerline????
What car and rear gear?
Idle rpm and vacuum?
Last edited by GARY C on Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:01 am, edited 3 times in total.
Please Note!
THE ABOVE POST IN NO WAY REFLECTS THE VIEWS OF SPEED TALK OR IT'S MEMBERS AND SHOULD BE VIEWED AS ENTERTAINMENT ONLY...Thanks, The Management!
F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Post by F-BIRD'88 »

Start by restoring the IFR and IAB's to stock out of the box.
You got carried away.
n5ifi
Pro
Pro

Post by n5ifi »

lorax wrote:
n5ifi wrote:
lluciano77 wrote:

Have you ever read the trouble shoot tips on the lid of a washing machine to perform BEFORE calling the repair man? IS THE MACHINE PLUGGED IN?????
Is it out of line to assume that anybody that can gap a plug is smart enough to check the float level before posting online, or even remotely considering modifying a carb?

Is it really necessary for the guy in the tool store to ask a customer returning a drill motor that doesn't run if he plugged it in?

It was a setup all the way.
I thought I would play for a minute but Adger blew it wide open with his raise the float level comment and I knew the jig was up. LOL
Now everyone is going to pile on answering a question from a guy that knows more than 99.99 percent of Holly carb users in the world.
I wonder if he checked the throttle bore bushings?
lorax
Guru
Guru

Post by lorax »

bet that thing would richen right up if he closes the choke some. No carb expert, just a hunch.
levisnteeshirt
Guru
Guru

Post by levisnteeshirt »

Please try the 10.5 ,,, there is also a dip in the vacuum whenever you make light throttle changes , the powervalve also enriches the idle circuit ,,, try 1/4 turn more open idle mix screw setting on 2 or all 4 ,, are your throttle plates drilled and how far open are the idle mix screws now ?
GARY C
HotPass
HotPass

Post by GARY C »

lorax wrote:
n5ifi wrote:
lluciano77 wrote:

Have you not read "here" over and over that members would like people to stay on topic and offer useful tips or questions to threads and if all one can add is sarcastic bs feel free to go to the May Tag forum and assist house wives.
Please Note!
THE ABOVE POST IN NO WAY REFLECTS THE VIEWS OF SPEED TALK OR IT'S MEMBERS AND SHOULD BE VIEWED AS ENTERTAINMENT ONLY...Thanks, The Management!
jmarkaudio
Vendor

Post by jmarkaudio »

Raising the float might help, if it's low. .028 is a bit small, try going up to .030 and fine tune with the idle bleeds. Also, lean readings at light throttle/low loads are not an issue as long as you have no stumble or surge. The more efficient the engine is the leaner it will tolerate.
Mark Whitener
www.racingfuelsystems.com
____

Good work isn't cheap and cheap work can't be good.
lorax
Guru
Guru

Post by lorax »

GARY C wrote:
lorax wrote:

Have you not read "here" over and over that members would like people to stay on topic and offer useful tips or questions to threads and if all one can add is sarcastic bs feel free to go to the May Tag forum and assist house wives.
IF it is a setup, and it has that smell, then I would say just about any post is fair. People who go down that path should be given a long vacation.
Not exactly like Marks "open" question about emulsion in his thread. We knew it was Mark, and he posed it as a question, NOT SOME UNDERHANDED SNAR.
Let me know if this is acceptable and common place here and I will consider checking out and spare you the maytag repairman comments.
GARY C
HotPass
HotPass

Post by GARY C »

then I would say just about any post is fair
Does that include my post?
Or are you going to call Don to save you?
Man up!
Please Note!
lorax
Guru
Guru

Post by lorax »

GARY C wrote:
then I would say just about any post is fair
Does that include my post?
Or are you going to call Don to save you?
Man up!
It includes any and ALL posts are fair! I don't need to man up. I could not care any less.

All this thread needs now is Holley Carb Guy Guru to come on and say something really profound and original like "the answer is obvious"