pro topline cyclone heads port or not?

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

speedy

pro topline cyclone heads port or not?

Post by speedy »

hi to all im not sure if i should port a set of pro topline cyclone ford heads they are 200cc runners we already have the heads just wandering if they are worth porting on a street motor and is there anything to watch out for on these heads. specs are:

351w stroked to 393ci

10.7.1 comp

250 @ 050 flat tappet hyd
560 lift @ valve
110 deg lobe sep

200cc cyclone iron heads out of box assembled as per instructions
2.02in 1.60ex
meant to flow around 286cfm @28in @700lift

vic jnr manifold

750cfm dp carb

1 3/4 pipes

msd ign

aiming for around 470-490hp 470ft lb tq
all in by 6500rpm
anyone have hp figures for similar combos?all opinions appreciated thanks paul.
speedy

Post by speedy »

anyone out there? :lol:
shawn
Expert
Expert

Post by shawn »

A properly ported set of heads will almost always make an engine run better over a nonported head. Key here is properly. Do you plan on doing these yourself? If so, do you have a way of checking for port thickness? I don't want to jump on the bash protopline/action band wagon, but like all heads you need to be careful of just wacking away. You might have 10 good sets and then the next time you poke holes all over the place. With that being said, and the combo you have outlined, i would think that you you should be in the ballpark with a little work done to those heads.
shawn
EngineTech1
Expert
Expert
Post by EngineTech1 »

The protopline heads can be made to flow some good air. I got a set of them to go almost 360cfm with a 2.12 valve intake and over 230 on the exhaust with a 1.6 valve and not a huge port. The intake was 236cc but I could shrink it up some and use a 2.100 valve without much loss in flow, I just don't have that port done yet.
awesomebill

Re: pro topline cyclone heads port or not?

Post by awesomebill »

I would just clean everything up really nice. Leave the size of the port alone. Being this will be a street engine, I am assuming pump gas will be used? RPM if under 6500 will not warrant any more air flow. If anything, you have too much now. With the exhaust bolted on you should be fine. Now if the RPM is around 7500 and no exhaust, you could use some minor port work. I have used these heads and they work very well. 1 of the best heads I have run. My son built and efi 347 with the 200 cc head and it produced 454 with 460 with a comp hyd roller and ran 11.61 with his box stock 94 stand with a stick walking it off the line. So the hp was there less the traction issue.
speedy

Post by speedy »

thanks guys very much appreciated. i will just clean them up and blend in any sharp edges. i sorta thought just a clean up would do the job. i cant wait to see what it makes on the engine dyno. cheers
awesomebill

Post by awesomebill »

speedy wrote:thanks guys very much appreciated. i will just clean them up and blend in any sharp edges. i sorta thought just a clean up would do the job. i cant wait to see what it makes on the engine dyno. cheers
Post it after you get done!
speedy

Post by speedy »

yes i will do for sure