General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

af2
Guru
Guru

Re: Worn Thrust bearing ............again

Post by af2 »

ProPower engines wrote:
Turns out the rad was done about 10yrs ago and the original cooler was reused and when I cut it in half today the crap still trapped inside was incredible.
Dave
This is all anyone needs to know!
GURU is only a name.
Adam
no green

Post by no green »

Dave Koehler wrote:If it hasn't been pulled yet check pressure before and after the cooler.
Had a local shop not believe that. The first two engines didn't make it off the lift. After the 3rd gratis NAPA rebuild he finally got to checking it. Shore nuff!. He didn't believe me the first time because a tranny shop told him that was impossible due to the pump relief in the tranny. Guess what? It can't dump off that much.
We're having a thrust issue right now.

If this line pressure is the issue, why would it push the crank forward, if it doesn't balloon the converter, is it trying to push the whole converter forward?
Dave Koehler
Vendor

Post by Dave Koehler »

Not believing anything that came up in previous posts?
Can you see a ballooning convertor? Check pressures to confirm or eliminate questions.
Dave Koehler - Koehler Injection
Enderle Fuel Injection - Nitrous Charger - Balancing - Nitrous Master software
http://www.koehlerinjection.com
"Never let a race car know that you are in a hurry."
no green

Post by no green »

Dave Koehler wrote:Not believing anything that came up in previous posts?
Can you see a ballooning convertor? Check pressures to confirm or eliminate questions.
I believe it, now I'm trying to understand it. This thread has been a huge help.

We are taking the converter back today to be checked out, and I'm trying to come up with plan b if he cant find anything wrong.

I should have worded my question a bit differently.

Assume we have a billet converter strong enough it wont balloon (what the converter builder told me). Could there be enough pressure buildup, that the fluid exiting the converter will push the crankshaft forward and mess up the thrust surface?
Dave Koehler
Vendor

Post by Dave Koehler »

Billet so I assume race car.
If no cooler then you have to look at all the mechanical interference possibilities mentioned.

Edit: I am going to have to say yes the convertor moves some naturally. It has to.
1: Action - reaction.
2: Hydraulics
3: There is a reason flex plates flex.
Dave Koehler - Koehler Injection
Enderle Fuel Injection - Nitrous Charger - Balancing - Nitrous Master software
http://www.koehlerinjection.com
"Never let a race car know that you are in a hurry."
pamotorman
Guru
Guru

Post by pamotorman »

cbeng wrote:thrust is wearing on the back side because the torq converter is ballooning i been threw this before many times
GM ad this problem with 454 motorhomes. they added more trans fluid cooling to fix this. make sure you have a extra .001 rear main earing clearance to allow extra oil flow to the thrust surface
no green

Post by no green »

Dave Koehler wrote: look at all the mechanical interference possibilities mentioned.

3: There is a reason flex plates flex.
This just clicked, thanks for the help.
no green

Post by no green »

I believe we found our problem. This is a Mopar RB to TH400 with JW bellhousing, flexplate, and hub.

The hub didn't fit the converter quite right, the JW hub wasn't deep enough for our converter and the oversize billet front plate on the converter was just barely touching the grade 9 hardware in the JW kit.

We're having the converter people modify the JW hub and changing to arp "flat head" type flexplate bolts.
hodge
Expert
Expert

Post by hodge »

Make sure you remove bell from trans and indicate the back of the bell to block and also the hole is centered to crank I had two of jw's bell's that where scrap, off .020" and off parallel by .018"

8.47 et 164 mph 500 ci, all motor, mopar door car
no green

Post by no green »

hodge wrote:Make sure you remove bell from trans and indicate the back of the bell to block and also the hole is centered to crank I had two of jw's bell's that where scrap, off .020" and off parallel by .018"

That's the weekend plan.

And to think the guy from JW said he never had a mopar/th400 problem...
af2
Guru
Guru

Post by af2 »

hodge wrote:Make sure you remove bell from trans and indicate the back of the bell to block and also the hole is centered to crank I had two of jw's bell's that where scrap, off .020" and off parallel by .018"

It is not just JW. Every one needs to be checked. Factory blocks and bell's are way off some times. By the way my Bell had to move .020 right to make me happy.
GURU is only a name.
Adam
hodge
Expert
Expert

Post by hodge »

your rite trust nothing
chevy art
Pro
Pro

Post by chevy art »

guys this was an extremely enlightening session with the posts. one question about a reference to converter balooning. if it did baloon, will it be permently balooned, or will it return to original outside specs. also, what would cause one of the legs on the converter to snap off. maybe some sort of misalignment. thanks art
hodge
Expert
Expert

Post by hodge »

chevy art wrote:guys this was an extremely enlightening session with the posts. one question about a reference to converter balooning. if it did baloon, will it be permently balooned, or will it return to original outside specs. also, what would cause one of the legs on the converter to snap off. maybe some sort of misalignment. thanks art

bad converter to start meaning cracked when welded at the lug, or misalignment. Was there any indication of movement on flexplate.