TITANIUM RODS

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

BRENT FAY

TITANIUM RODS

Post by BRENT FAY »

First experiance with titanium rods. The question is any special does or dont's? Special lubes or torque procedures?

It is a size large BBC.....wants to make sure the rod bearings are okay. The oil pump belt came off but didnt know when it came off. It hasnt been raced yet...... basically idle time and checking things out. He forgot to turn the electronic dash on. So he wants to take a look at the bearings.

We were all virgins once in our lifes :lol: if not everyday! Thanks, Brent
bsfc9

Post by bsfc9 »

Most manufactuers of Ti rods usually recommend a special bolt lube, make sure to use it. Also closely inspect the rod in any place in contacts steel(cranshaft). There is usually some sort of coating to prevent galling. Make sure the coating is intact. Make sure overall there is no signs of galling where Ti touches steel(including bearing shell backs). Clearance should be the same as steel rods. Hope this helps.
k-star
Guru
Guru

RODS

Post by k-star »

Somebody else needs to confirm this but i think you don't want to use any typ of brakecleen around them, unless it's non-clorinated (sp?) There can be a chemical reaction with the ti...

Keith
“If I hit you with this you’re going to be numb, that’s why they call them numb-chucks “Si Robertson
Ron E
Guru
Guru

Post by Ron E »

......also I don't remember the title, but there's a recent thread here that offers up some valuable info on titanium rod set up. A search out to bring it up.
Mark Workman
Pro
Pro

Re: RODS

Post by Mark Workman »

k-star wrote:Somebody else needs to confirm this but i think you don't want to use any typ of brakecleen around them, unless it's non-clorinated (sp?) There can be a chemical reaction with the ti...

Keith

That is correct. I don't remember the exact reason, I think it may have been because of a corrosion-inducing reaction leading to a higher probability of failure under stress. I used to work in a shop that machined a lot of titanium aircraft parts, and to meet the McDonnell-Douglas process certification, we had to use nothing but MEK to clean those parts. I'm sure there are other suitable solvents that aren't quite so pungent, but MEK is safe(at least for the titanium).
BRENT FAY

Post by BRENT FAY »

Thanks for the replies,

k-star that was me that had posted about TI and chlorinated solvents.... good recall!

Mark, I thought we might've got more input from when I posted about about chlorinated solvets since I had read that you have worked on aircraft engines. I never thought of MEK and yes the odor is nasty.

bsfc9, Thanks, just got back from checking the bearings. Everything looked good. I looked for galling where you stated, none! The owner sent a friend on a 6 hour round trip this afternoon for a small vial of the special lube. The only thing I saw that was a concern that 2 rod bearings on the chamfer side that it had gotten into the radius a small bit. The bearings were coated also. The owner said he will be able to sleep now, so it must've happened when unloading the car.

It's bedtime, thanks guys, Brent