General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Belgian1979
Guru
Guru

Re: Please school me on dry sump systems

Post by Belgian1979 »

Strange Magic wrote:
I may have missed it, but have you ran the engine without the cooler and accusump? Just with a filter in the standard location?
Could be way to complex to do something that simple.

Why does this engine need an oil cooler? If the oil temps are that hot, than fix it.
What kind of BS is this ? There are more than one indications that the cooler nor the accusump, nor the remote filter is the cause, such as the accusump fully disconnected having no influence on the pressure drop, such as the same pressure drop taking place with cold oil and the oil cooler not in play (lines to the cooler are cold where the lines from and to the thermostat are hot), such as the filter having no effect.

But as soon as I've got the time, I will fab up a line and connect directly to the filter and prove you wrong.

But in all your wisdom I would still like to know how the pump or any wet sump can be modified so that it needs no bypass.

And for the reason for an oil cooler, you should know that running high rpms gives high oil temps.
lorax
Guru
Guru

Post by lorax »

Nobody said you don't need a pressure relief, nobody said you don't need a cooler.
But if the cooler and lines create ANY restriction to flow, then that will lower the pressure you see in the block, and will cause the relief to open at a pressure LOWER than you are reading at the block. The pump doesn't know what the restriction is, it simply opens at X pressure.

What ever the pressure drop is that that the cooler AND lines create, that's the amount you need to raise the relief spring to get the system back to the original relief pressure without the cooler and lines.
The pump WILL move the oil if you raise the pressure high enough, but MAY not be the right way to fix your problem. Shear force of excessive pressure to shove oil thru the system may not be the right answer.

Ever think that the thermostat is causing the pressure drop? All the oil goes thru the lines and thermostat regardless if its going thru the cooler or not.
Belgian1979
Guru
Guru

Post by Belgian1979 »

lorax wrote:Nobody said you don't need a pressure relief, nobody said you don't need a cooler.
But if the cooler and lines create ANY restriction to flow, then that will lower the pressure you see in the block, and will cause the relief to open at a pressure LOWER than you are reading at the block. The pump doesn't know what the restriction is, it simply opens at X pressure.

What ever the pressure drop is that that the cooler AND lines create, that's the amount you need to raise the relief spring to get the system back to the original relief pressure without the cooler and lines.
The pump WILL move the oil if you raise the pressure high enough, but MAY not be the right way to fix your problem. Shear force of excessive pressure to shove oil thru the system may not be the right answer.

Ever think that the thermostat is causing the pressure drop? All the oil goes thru the lines and thermostat regardless if its going thru the cooler or not.
The largest opening in the thermostat is when the oil is hot enough to have the valve close. As I said there is not difference either hot or cold. Same drop. As said I will unhook and see what it does. I just need 2 -10 plugs for that.
Strange Magic
Guru
Guru

Post by Strange Magic »

High rpms give you high oil temps?

Listen up McGiver. You either loosen the clearances up on that engine so that it is not in bypass mode a good portion of the time or you put some basic standard pump into it to match your restrictive clearances. You already have a low viscosity oil which is just fine. Remove all those McGiver tricks you got going on and everything will be just fine.
strangemagicperformance.com
Strange Magic Camshaft Technologies
Decisions on parts and advise should not be based on how much money a company can pour into marketing. This is a common mis-conception in the industry.
Belgian1979
Guru
Guru

Post by Belgian1979 »

Strange Magic wrote:High rpms give you high oil temps?

Listen up McGiver. You either loosen the clearances up on that engine so that it is not in bypass mode a good portion of the time or you put some basic standard pump into it to match your restrictive clearances. You already have a low viscosity oil which is just fine. Remove all those McGiver tricks you got going on and everything will be just fine.
They are both positive displacement pumps and although 25 % less pumped volume, it will still mean it's in bypass most of the time. The moment at which it will cavitate will be higher than the HV pump but still far below redline.
mbrooks
Expert
Expert

Post by mbrooks »

what are your inlet line to the pump and pressure line size? if you're running oil in the pan with external pump, you are going through the oil so fast i'm surprised there is any in the pan. a 12 qt tank can empty in about 20 seconds.
Strange Magic
Guru
Guru

Post by Strange Magic »

For those who stepped in recently or who are browsing on through, the topic starter does not own a dry sump system and he doesn't have one on his engine. He has an internal wet sump system that he is having some issues with. Those issues are somewhat related to all the trick of the day accessories that he has tagged onto it as well as the bypass area size in the pump being large enough so that when it goes on bypass (poppet opening) the pressure has a spike down and remains there. Nothing uncommon and nothing unusual when your clearanced in a manor that the pump is bypassing a substaintial amount.

It's not to complicated to understand.
Decisions on parts and advise should not be based on how much money a company can pour into marketing. This is a common mis-conception in the industry.
mbrooks
Expert
Expert

Post by mbrooks »

thanks, i tried to read it all, a couple times, and kept getting lost.
Kevin Johnson
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Kevin Johnson »

mbrooks wrote:thanks, i tried to read it all, a couple times, and kept getting lost.
There are several other threads on this particular system as well and they are being referred to at various points in the discussion.
Driving Force Online: BREAKING NEWS—Ohio Governor Signs SEMA-Supported Vehicle Freedom Bill Into Law!
Belgian1979
Guru
Guru

Post by Belgian1979 »

Strange Magic wrote:For those who stepped in recently or who are browsing on through, the topic starter does not own a dry sump system and he doesn't have one on his engine. He has an internal wet sump system that he is having some issues with. Those issues are somewhat related to all the trick of the day accessories that he has tagged onto it as well as the bypass area size in the pump being large enough so that when it goes on bypass (poppet opening) the pressure has a spike down and remains there. Nothing uncommon and nothing unusual when your clearanced in a manor that the pump is bypassing a substaintial amount.

Wrong.
Belgian1979
Guru
Guru

Post by Belgian1979 »

mbrooks wrote:what are your inlet line to the pump and pressure line size? if you're running oil in the pan with external pump, you are going through the oil so fast i'm surprised there is any in the pan. a 12 qt tank can empty in about 20 seconds.
That's were Strange has got it wrong. 20 seconds to empty 12 gallons. That means 36 gallons in 1 minute. An engine can consume only how much ???? Where does all of the other gpm go to ?
allencr267
Pro
Pro

Post by allencr267 »

HV pump is not only bypassing way too much, eating power & chain & drive gear, but is also looping increasingly heated oil if it's bypassing to its intake port.
A dry sump would only compound OP caused problem/s.
Belgian1979
Guru
Guru

Post by Belgian1979 »

allencr267 wrote:HV pump is not only bypassing way too much, eating power & chain & drive gear, but is also looping increasingly heated oil if it's bypassing to its intake port.
A dry sump would only compound OP caused problem/s.
Are you of the opinion a bypass not exiting to the inlet would help/cure ?

why would a dry sump compound the problem ?
Strange Magic
Guru
Guru

Post by Strange Magic »

Strange Magic wrote:
For those who stepped in recently or who are browsing on through, the topic starter does not own a dry sump system and he doesn't have one on his engine. He has an internal wet sump system that he is having some issues with. Those issues are somewhat related to all the trick of the day accessories that he has tagged onto it as well as the bypass area size in the pump being large enough so that when it goes on bypass (poppet opening) the pressure has a spike down and remains there. Nothing uncommon and nothing unusual when your clearanced in a manor that the pump is bypassing a substaintial amount.

Wrong.
Oh, you have a dry sump Belgian? which dry sump do you have and how many stages is it?
Belgian1979
Guru
Guru

Post by Belgian1979 »

Strange Magic wrote:
Strange Magic wrote:

Wrong.
Oh, you have a dry sump Belgian? which dry sump do you have and how many stages is it?
If you have nothing more to add, stay out and go bother someone else. If you're looking for a piss contest, step outside there is some place for that.