Great process and quality control GM...

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

wil8115
Pro
Pro

Re: Great process and quality control GM...

Post by wil8115 »

I'd be more worried about whats left of that sleeve.
But as a lot already know GM is not exactly known for quality
casting or production machining.. square decked any 55-86 sbc
blocks lately? LOL
Dodge Freak
Guru
Guru

Post by Dodge Freak »

GM ?

The same company that cheated its past and current workers, investors and suppliers ? You expect outstanding service from GM :lol:

Only thing they do top notch is squeezing every penny profit possible and using every trick in the book to save money.

Just other company using its former good name to sell its stuff.

I knew Mopar died off sometime back in the 1980's..or was it in 1978 when they got rid of the BBM's ?
Baprace
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Baprace »

mtkawboy wrote:Am I the only one that sees the picture so large I cant even tell what Im looking at ?
I see the same thing you see.... nothing that I can identify, the pic is way too large for me to understand what I am looking at.
Larry Widmer
Show Guest
Show Guest

Post by Larry Widmer »

The manager of the crate engine program told me for weeks that the factory ECU that accompanied my LS3 crate engine couldn't show the code that the cam was out of sink with the crank. They finally asked me to "simply" pull the front off the engine and check the camshaft alignment. Here's what I found:http://www.theoldone.com/grandsport/art ... _Grill.jpg
The bastards should have gone out of business and the executives running the company should have all gone to jail.
needforspeed66gt
Guru
Guru

Post by needforspeed66gt »

Baprace wrote:
mtkawboy wrote:Am I the only one that sees the picture so large I cant even tell what Im looking at ?
I see the same thing you see.... nothing that I can identify, the pic is way too large for me to understand what I am looking at.
This forum doesn't resize pictures automatically like pretty much any other I've ever been on...right click the image and choose "Open image in new window/tab"

Larry Widmer wrote:The manager of the crate engine program told me for weeks that the factory ECU that accompanied my LS3 crate engine couldn't show the code that the cam was out of sink with the crank. They finally asked me to "simply" pull the front off the engine and check the camshaft alignment. Here's what I found:http://www.theoldone.com/grandsport/art ... _Grill.jpg
The bastards should have gone out of business and the executives running the company should have all gone to jail.
Hey, but at least they got those ink marks on there to show that they tightened the bolts right? :lol:
Nate @steeldustmachine
Engine Machinist
littleben

Post by littleben »

Gm was once a leader in developing and providing what the customer wanted, they have slipped a lot. Today the company is nothing like the gm of old. Less quality, lots of outsourcing, and a focus on Obamas goofy ideas. We buy a lot of parts from gm direct and things have changed a lot in 5 years. It's not the same company and a lot of good folks from there are gone.
crazyman
Expert
Expert

Post by crazyman »

I agree on GM used to be quality. Today it's more like GM stands for "Gimme Money"
Baprace
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Baprace »

needforspeed66gt, thanks for the tip on resizing the picture, I can clearly see what is wrong now.
ZEOHSIX
Pro
Pro

Post by ZEOHSIX »

Like I have previously stated, I'm surprised they didn't try to run one time only self tapping fasteners in all the LS series aluminum motors. Based on what I have observed the GenIII castings were of great quality and the program went DOWN HILL from there! These seem to be throw away motors with the lack of location on parts like maincaps and the bad oiling system plumbing/routing/sizing. We have had to spend lots of hours detailing oil passages and oil pans where the filter pad area is. I'm surprised there isnt far more warranty claims from Corvette/Camaro owners that use the cars for what they were intended to be used for.
RAS
Pro
Pro

Post by RAS »

Bitch, bitch ,bitch. If you don't like GM parts don't buy them. You experts deserve the junk that came off that worn out engine line in Flint. GM ships out of spec parts. Uses reject parts for crate motors. Really. Next time you have 22K for a crate motor call Lingenfelters. Young guys haven't a clue what your talking about. Like everything GM makes is for racing, right? Work one day at powertrain and you'd have a whole different outlook. Cylinder liners have coreshift from permanent mold casting, but meet minimal spec. nothing wrong there. These aren't pressed in liners. You couldn't afford that block!
user-9613590

Post by user-9613590 »

Few years ago I did the Cad 500" heads..Every seat was offset from the quide :shock:
Then world's biggest car manufacturers top of the line model and such a crap!
dirtracr5
Guru
Guru

Post by dirtracr5 »

You get what you pay for. If you want the same caliber of motor but with all top of the line aftermarket parts vs gm parts then build it. Then let us know what he bill comes to!
Dave Koehler
Vendor

Post by Dave Koehler »

Say thank you to the OEMs. For without them and their bean counter ways you would have no specialty machine shops, no jobs, no careers.
Without those then this forum would not exist to bitch about the OEMs.
Dave Koehler - Koehler Injection
Enderle Fuel Injection - Nitrous Charger - Balancing - Nitrous Master software
http://www.koehlerinjection.com
"Never let a race car know that you are in a hurry."
needforspeed66gt
Guru
Guru

Post by needforspeed66gt »

RAS wrote:Bitch, bitch ,bitch. If you don't like GM parts don't buy them. You experts deserve the junk that came off that worn out engine line in Flint. GM ships out of spec parts. Uses reject parts for crate motors. Really. Next time you have 22K for a crate motor call Lingenfelters. Young guys haven't a clue what your talking about. Like everything GM makes is for racing, right? Work one day at powertrain and you'd have a whole different outlook. Cylinder liners have coreshift from permanent mold casting, but meet minimal spec. nothing wrong there. These aren't pressed in liners. You couldn't afford that block!
What crawled up your ass and died?
Nate @steeldustmachine
Engine Machinist
littleben

Post by littleben »

Gm stuff has changed, not that It's complete crap, but it ain't as good as it used to be. They don't even make most of their crate motors, that's all sub contacted out, power train makes engines for autos, not the crate motors they sell.