Great process and quality control GM...

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

needforspeed66gt
Guru
Guru

Great process and quality control GM...

Post by needforspeed66gt »

Inexcusable amount of core shift on a $22k LS9 crate engine.

Nate @steeldustmachine
Engine Machinist
lorax
Guru
Guru
Re: Great process and quality control GM...

Post by lorax »

I guess it could be worse. It could be in a $113,000 Vette.
ProPower engines
Guru
Guru

Post by ProPower engines »

That's no surprise!!!
All the crate engines are built with reject parts taken from the production line floor that would not be used in a vehicle that would be sold with the new longer warranties available now.Could you amagin taking the engine back to the delaer if it was installed in a vehicle to get warranty on that after a couple years on the road.
Thats why theres a very limited warranty on crate engines and thats why under the warranty they would determine that abuse and neglect would cause that if the engine failed and the owner would get squat.
They know that the HP level is better then a production vehicle would have and thats how they get rid of reject parts by selling crate HP engines. How is the rest of the engine?? Not that it matters at this point you still need a block.

I had an iron headed crate in here last week with valves that never sealed from day one. And 10k later they needed a valve job and they did not even install the oil shields on the valve springs.

It was a 290HP TBI crate for a PU 95 truck.
Real Race Cars Don't Have Doors
SLPRACINGENGINES
Pro
Pro

Post by SLPRACINGENGINES »

i have saw core shift so bad in the older 350 blocks.i had one that a guy dropped off to me to tru bore the lifter bores trhat i had to custom make a set of slugs to put in three of the lifter bores to get them to be right.
needforspeed66gt
Guru
Guru

Post by needforspeed66gt »

ProPower engines wrote:That's no surprise!!!
All the crate engines are built with reject parts taken from the production line floor that would not be used in a vehicle that would be sold with the new longer warranties available now.Could you amagin taking the engine back to the delaer if it was installed in a vehicle to get warranty on that after a couple years on the road.
Thats why theres a very limited warranty on crate engines and thats why under the warranty they would determine that abuse and neglect would cause that if the engine failed and the owner would get squat.
They know that the HP level is better then a production vehicle would have and thats how they get rid of reject parts by selling crate HP engines. How is the rest of the engine?? Not that it matters at this point you still need a block.

I had an iron headed crate in here last week with valves that never sealed from day one. And 10k later they needed a valve job and they did not even install the oil shields on the valve springs.

It was a 290HP TBI crate for a PU 95 truck.
Intake guides were totally smoked after minimal hours, I'm told this is a very common issue with these motors because GM specified too rough of a surface finish on the Ti valves. In every other application the factory GM powdered metal guides show very minimal wear even after tens of thousands of miles.

Other than that it was in relatively good shape considering that the owner fully submerged it in muddy water and then continued to beat on it in a couple more competitions until it had no compression. The motor is in an off-road top truck challenge buggy, pulled the top off the supercharger and there was sandy mud all over the intake ports and in the intercoolers. :lol:
Nate @steeldustmachine
Engine Machinist
GARY C
HotPass
HotPass

Post by GARY C »

I guess they don't do their 50 hour endurance test know that they are owned by the Union!
Please Note!
THE ABOVE POST IN NO WAY REFLECTS THE VIEWS OF SPEED TALK OR IT'S MEMBERS AND SHOULD BE VIEWED AS ENTERTAINMENT ONLY...Thanks, The Management!
ProPower engines
Guru
Guru

Post by ProPower engines »

Intake guides were totally smoked after minimal hours, I'm told this is a very common issue with these motors because GM specified too rough of a surface finish on the Ti valves. In every other application the factory GM powdered metal guides show very minimal wear even after tens of thousands of miles.

Other than that it was in relatively good shape considering that the owner fully submerged it in muddy water and then continued to beat on it in a couple more competitions until it had no compression. The motor is in an off-road top truck challenge buggy, pulled the top off the supercharger and there was sandy mud all over the intake ports and in the intercoolers. :lol:[/quote]

Have you ever had the chance to measure the stem clearance on a new head??
It may also be from too much stem clearance allowing the valve to rock in the guide causing the excellerated wear and also maybe to stiff of stem seal. Like the old style nylon seals that would wear the stems beyond reuse
Real Race Cars Don't Have Doors
POS Dakota

Post by POS Dakota »

No matter how you stack it, I could never just drop a crate engine into my car and go without having things like this in the back of my head.
At that point it just makes sense to build it yourself after careful inspection of the parts.

Kind of silly seeing this on an ls9 where the user is almost guaranteed to turn it up. :lol:
Truckedup
Guru
Guru

Post by Truckedup »

Sloppy GM core shifts and machining is nothing new.I was building a 50's GMC 302 inline 6 for performance. The lack of stamped numbers meant this was a replacement short block.The standard bores were off their centers,the block deck tilted side to side and front to back,the connecting rod centers varied about .006. But the main bearing bores were perfect....The engine will function as intended ,but.......
The last years of GM 250 inline engine had an HEI ignition.Many of the HEI's have a U joint on the shaft. A U-joint? A GM power plant engineer told me the machining was so sloppy the distributor bored hole was cocked causing warranty issues with worn distributor bushings.The U joint was an easier fix than trying to get the tooling sharpened and set up correctly.
I heard that it was common for GM to use dull or poorly set up tooling .These orders came from management trying to save a few cents. I'm sure the other auto makers did the same but GM was the biggest so it made more sloppy stuff.
Motorcycle land speed racing... wearing animal hides and clinging to vibrating oily machines propelled by fire
swatson454
Guru
Guru

Post by swatson454 »

Oh, well isn't this just fantastic news. I "scored" a standard bore, 4 bolt, Vortec roller block from a ZZ4 crate that developed a rod knock around 20k miles. Thanks a pant load for the vote of confidence :lol:
Last edited by swatson454 on Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Live in such a way that those who know you but don't know God will come to know God because they know you.
stealth
Guru
Guru

Post by stealth »

These decisions to use up inferior parts are usually made by people so far up the ladder in management they don’t even know what they are signing off on….but they know the cost savings will look good on a chart and for their career.

Typical of many companies….
mtkawboy
Pro
Pro

Post by mtkawboy »

Am I the only one that sees the picture so large I cant even tell what Im looking at ?
blykins
Guru
Guru

Post by blykins »

Look at the sleeve thicknesses.
Lykins Motorsports
brent@lykinsmotorsports.com
www.lykinsmotorsports.com
www.customfordcams.com
Custom Ford Windsor, Cleveland, and FE Street/Race Engines
DaveMcLain
Guru
Guru

Post by DaveMcLain »

It seems obvious to me that the sleeves are installed and then bored on centers in a difference process. As long as the wall thickness is thick enough what does the picture show us that hurts anything?
Dave Koehler
Vendor

Post by Dave Koehler »

It will be interesting to know if the finished bore is in it's blueprint position or someone really goofed.

Pontiac is the one that always puzzled me. Line honed main bores but rod bores machined with a hatchet. :shock:
Dave Koehler - Koehler Injection
Enderle Fuel Injection - Nitrous Charger - Balancing - Nitrous Master software
http://www.koehlerinjection.com
"Never let a race car know that you are in a hurry."