SBC 383 build Advice shooting for 550hp to 600hp

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

cv67
Guru
Guru

Re: SBC 383 build Advice shooting for 550hp to 600hp

Post by cv67 »

Dont worry its easy to get lost. Theres a science to getting the "right one" for sure.
At some point its just best to have an expert make or select it and take the guesswork out
Nothing worse than spending the money/time only to have a car that "doesnt run". Dont know about you but Ive been there more than once where the parts on paper shoulda worked out but they didnt. Ignorance is bliss :mrgreen:
Desmosis10

Post by Desmosis10 »

cuisinartvette wrote:Dont worry its easy to get lost. Theres a science to getting the "right one" for sure.
At some point its just best to have an expert make or select it and take the guesswork out
Nothing worse than spending the money/time only to have a car that "doesnt run". Dont know about you but Ive been there more than once where the parts on paper shoulda worked out but they didnt. Ignorance is bliss :mrgreen:
YeahI hear you on that, I been through a few cams I bought that I either sold for less then what I bought them for or I just sent them the cam back to summit to get my money back. It seems like every HYD CAM I have chosen seem to be the wrong cam for my application and parts I have for my SBC 383 stroker. When I have called a few cam experts, and ask them for a good HYD ROLLER cam for my set up they don't really tell me a lot or want tell me the specs of what CAM THEY ARE CREATING me for my set, Which I do have the money to buy the cam so I would like to know what i'm getting. Which don't make since if i'm paying out of my Pocket I want to know what i'm getting and not just send you my money and their not giving me to much info on what they are making me HYD CAM wise...
kirkwoodken
Guru
Guru

Post by kirkwoodken »

[quote="Desmosis10"][quote="A Atwood"]Have you not caught on to the fact that EVERYONE is trying to steer you away from the Howard's cam??!!
Gees!
What does it take, an anvil?[/quote]

LOL yeah I see that, I wonder why? Whats wrong with Howards cams????[/quote]

Nobody is trying to steer you away from Howards cams. They are trying to steer you away from THAT particular Howards cam, or the same style cam from any other cam grinder. The majority of people giving you advice think a cam with shorter seat duration and greater duration at .200" will give you an all around better performing engine. A modern assymetrical grind will trap more intake mixture in the cylinder. That's where power comes from.

Most of the people suggesting a different cam ARE NOT in the cam grinding business. They will make no money from you. They are giving sound advice based on their experience. Mike Jones, "Cam King" and Harold Brookshire aka "UDHarold" are two of the best cam grinders on the planet. Both have designed cams for record setting cars. Comp Cams also makes some good cams, but in my experience, they are seldom recommended by the people who answer the phone. I can't tell you why that is. Many of Comp Cams, Lunati, Ultra Dyne, Bullet, Cam Dynamics, and some others were designed by Harold Brookshire. (If I got some wrong, I hope Harold will correct me.) I am presently running one of Harold Brookshires solid roller cams in my 406 SBC. Intake seat duration is 288. 255@.050", 174@.200" lift. 109 LDA. About .650 lift with a 1.6 rocker. This is an assymetrical cam and is a strong performer. Even though this cam design is over 25 years old, it is still a good cam for my engine and what I expect from it. This is not a cam I would advise for a daily driver, but is a good cam for 406 with a 7000 RPM limit.

One of Lunati's VooDoo cams would not be a bad choice for your engine. Cam King stated he thinks they are the best off-the-shelf cams available at this time. They are Harold Brookshire designs. I would use whatever Harold recommends. The choice is that simple.
"Life is too short to not run a solid roller cam."
"Anything is possible, if you don't know what you're talking about."
I am NOT an Expert, and DEFINITELY NOT a GURU.
Kirkwoodken
Desmosis10

Post by Desmosis10 »

kirkwoodken wrote:
Desmosis10 wrote:
A Atwood wrote:Have you not caught on to the fact that EVERYONE is trying to steer you away from the Howard's cam??!!
Gees!
What does it take, an anvil?
LOL yeah I see that, I wonder why? Whats wrong with Howards cams????
Nobody is trying to steer you away from Howards cams. They are trying to steer you away from THAT particular Howards cam, or the same style cam from any other cam grinder. The majority of people giving you advice think a cam with shorter seat duration and greater duration at .200" will give you an all around better performing engine. A modern assymetrical grind will trap more intake mixture in the cylinder. That's where power comes from.

Most of the people suggesting a different cam ARE NOT in the cam grinding business. They will make no money from you. They are giving sound advice based on their experience. Mike Jones, "Cam King" and Harold Brookshire aka "UDHarold" are two of the best cam grinders on the planet. Both have designed cams for record setting cars. Comp Cams also makes some good cams, but in my experience, they are seldom recommended by the people who answer the phone. I can't tell you why that is. Many of Comp Cams, Lunati, Ultra Dyne, Bullet, Cam Dynamics, and some others were designed by Harold Brookshire. (If I got some wrong, I hope Harold will correct me.) I am presently running one of Harold Brookshires solid roller cams in my 406 SBC. Intake seat duration is 288. 255@.050", 174@.200" lift. 109 LDA. About .650 lift with a 1.6 rocker. This is an assymetrical cam and is a strong performer. Even though this cam design is over 25 years old, it is still a good cam for my engine and what I expect from it. This is not a cam I would advise for a daily driver, but is a good cam for 406 with a 7000 RPM limit.

One of Lunati's VooDoo cams would not be a bad choice for your engine. Cam King stated he thinks they are the best off-the-shelf cams available at this time. They are Harold Brookshire designs. I would use whatever Harold recommends. The choice is that simple.
Do have then Number to those two guys that way I can give them a call??? An I can get the right and best cam for My set up... :) 8) :wink:
A Atwood
Expert
Expert

Post by A Atwood »

Now you're talking! (listening)
Harold Brookshire 662-562-4933
Mike Jones (Camking on this board). You can send him a pm on this board. He also has a website as well. During business hours 704-489-2449.

Both of these guys know their chit and will hook you up.

ARN
www.atwoodperformance.com
wyrmrider
Guru
Guru

Post by wyrmrider »

IMHO you and the other 383 stick shift builder could swap cams and heads and both be better off :)
I have no problem with Howards cams per se- they whupped my has many times back in the day
I am concerned about the tendency to build a bracket race motor for a street car
If you are really hard core you can live with it
jacked up idle and a bang when you put it in gear- just keep your foot hard on the brake
choices are to go ahead and build your motor the 11:1 and the big cam sorta go together
DO not use a thick gasket to lower compression- ever- the cure is worse than the disease
just run better fuel
your combination should fly in passing gear
I just question what the power band is from 3500 to 6500 5000-7000 should be fine
choices then are higher stall and lower gears- but then you do not have the car you are thinking of today- unless you are very very hard core street racer
If you do call mike ask him about the rockers- he has a computer program that will get you real close
off the cuff I'd go with 1.65 or the 1.7 crowers on the intakes-- the head flow could use it and you already have the heads so might as well go for the power- the idle will not change
looking at the head flows the exhausts do not need much
you could regrind your intake lobe - but would that work with 11:1?-- go over that with mike
interested to see what you come up with and how it works out
cheers
Desmosis10

Post by Desmosis10 »

A Atwood wrote:Now you're talking! (listening)
Harold Brookshire 662-562-4933
Mike Jones (Camking on this board). You can send him a pm on this board. He also has a website as well. During business hours 704-489-2449.

Both of these guys know their chit and will hook you up.

ARN
alright Thanks.. :)