Subaru-Robin ignition problem

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

SupStk
Guru
Guru

Subaru-Robin ignition problem

Post by SupStk »

I have a pressure washer with the 9hp EX27 engine. Ran great last time I used it, which was about a week ago. Went to start it earlier this week and no spark. Tried a different plug, no spark. Disconnected the low oil shut down and the kill switch, no spark. Adjust the magnet gap at .020" then down to .010, no spark. Replaced the coil with a new one, still no spark.

I'm at my wits end... what am I missing in this simple ignition system?
Monty Frerichs
B&M Machine
Kevin Johnson
HotPass
HotPass
Re: Subaru-Robin ignition problem

Post by Kevin Johnson »

http://www.arkansas-ope.com/ROBIN_SUBARU_EX27.pdf

This will let people see the parts involved.
Driving Force Online: BREAKING NEWS—Ohio Governor Signs SEMA-Supported Vehicle Freedom Bill Into Law!
Greaser

Post by Greaser »

Did a quick internet search and found this

http://www.diygokarts.com/vb/showthread.php?t=14766

Says he had a bad flywheel, weak magnets. Same motor.

I would have guessed a bad resistor in the plug boot or a partially sheared flywheel key.
SupStk
Guru
Guru

Post by SupStk »

Thanks for the replies.

I find it hard to believe this one has a weak flywheel magnet. When adjusting the air gap the 10mm socket got stuck to the magnet. Had to roll it off the edge of the magnet since I couldn't pull it straight off.

I did a visual check of the flywheel key without pulling the flywheel off. Since it's not sparking at all and not a timing issue i dismissed that.

I didn't know about the resister built into the plug boot, something else to check that I hadn't considered.
Monty Frerichs
B&M Machine
SupStk
Guru
Guru

Post by SupStk »

Got it figured out.

The magnet sits in a plastic cup on the flywheel which inbedded deeper in the flywheel with use. The magnet's leading edge was raising enough to barely touch the lamanated pole. After breaking the Loc-tite bond, reseating the screws, readjusting the pole gap, it had spark and fired right up.
Monty Frerichs
B&M Machine
Kevin Johnson
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Kevin Johnson »

SupStk wrote:Got it figured out.

The magnet sits in a plastic cup on the flywheel which inbedded deeper in the flywheel with use. The magnet's leading edge was raising enough to barely touch the lamanated pole. After breaking the Loc-tite bond, reseating the screws, readjusting the pole gap, it had spark and fired right up.

Good work. You should send them an email to have that added to a troubleshooting list.
Driving Force Online: BREAKING NEWS—Ohio Governor Signs SEMA-Supported Vehicle Freedom Bill Into Law!
redone

Post by redone »

Hello I just found this site. About Problem with Sabaru robin engine. I have been dealing with no spark.after buying a new coil, safety oil switch.no spark. I discovered this magnet is broken. It actually became a piece of junk. All magnet broken.
I have been looking for a replacement magnet. No luck.
Has anyone found this as a problem. .
I LIKE TO GET THIS ENGINE RUNNING.
THANK YOU
BILL
SupStk
Guru
Guru

Post by SupStk »

redone wrote: Tue May 01, 2018 6:33 pm Hello I just found this site. About Problem with Sabaru robin engine. I have been dealing with no spark.after buying a new coil, safety oil switch.no spark. I discovered this magnet is broken. It actually became a piece of junk. All magnet broken.
I have been looking for a replacement magnet. No luck.
Has anyone found this as a problem. .
I LIKE TO GET THIS ENGINE RUNNING.
THANK YOU
BILL
Welcome to the forum. Think you'll end up having to buy a flywheel.
Just for what its worth, my pressure washer is still running. Those Subaru-Robin engines seem to be good.
Monty Frerichs
B&M Machine
Krooser
Guru
Guru

Post by Krooser »

Check this out... for the guys who have obsolete engines without ignition parts support.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=In4YV7j ... x=19&t=17s
Honored to be a member of the Luxemburg Speedway Hall of Fame Class of 2019