Engine is a turd

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Joel Dubose
Expert
Expert
Re: Engine is a turd

Post by Joel Dubose »

I've got a set of heads that will fix you right up. I have a few of options. One is a std style BBC head with bigger valves and more flow , #2) I can port your heads and manifold and put bigger valves in it or #3) I've got a set of profiler BBC Hitman heads that rock. I would probably give a good discount for the profiler heads but they are a bit pricey still. They also have steep seats so the valves would need to be coated. I could change the valvejob if required. Pm me if you need anything.
JDE Heads & Manifolds
I'm WD with AFR,Edelbrock and many other parts and castings suppliers.
JDE has port programs In popular castings for performance uses, If you would like a port designed for your project contact me 704-658-6951
af2
Guru
Guru

Post by af2 »

Dave Koehler wrote: Me?, I'm boggled that a 600 CI digger runs that slow and has since day 1.
I think we have seen many Top Sportsman type cars which are heavier with 632 "kit motors" run quicker than this.
Although probably 200 lbs lighter I ran that quick and quicker in 1977 with a 416 ci, single gas carbed BBC. No neat, trick, off the shelf parts that we enjoy today.
Granted, the convertor might not be ideal but there is certainly a giant cork somewhere in this modern digger.
Not dissing on Mark but all the full body cars at 2400# + are running a 7.60 index. Most can go 7.20 and have to slow down.
The engine size is from 590" to 632". As said there are problems being 1 second slower with way less weight...
GURU is only a name.
Adam
Dave Koehler
Vendor

Post by Dave Koehler »

Ahh nuts. I just remembered. He is in Colorado. That explains the ET.....but still.
Dave Koehler - Koehler Injection
Enderle Fuel Injection - Nitrous Charger - Balancing - Nitrous Master software
http://www.koehlerinjection.com
"Never let a race car know that you are in a hurry."
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Post by Walter R. Malik »

Just this past weekend, I witnessed AGAIN what a lot of people simply refuse to believe.

A car going 6.60 in the eighth and about a half second to slow ... he said he tried everything, (changed mixture all over the map, changed ignition timing forward and back, plugs looked great, changed the coil, ohmed all the plug wires and changed shift points several RPM ... all to the improvement of .014" to 6.46 ET.
This engine had NO miss at all and sounded good going down the track.
Put in a NEW set of spark plugs, (all he could get at the time were plugs for nitrous so the heat range was really to cold), and hardly anyone would have guessed that the car now went 5.95 on the next pass.
http://www.rmcompetition.com
Specialty engine building at its finest.
Alaskaracer
Expert
Expert

Post by Alaskaracer »

revolutionary wrote:I have never understood why racers think it is fine to spend $1000 on a converter over and over again to test a problem but won't take their engine to a dyno. Boggles my mind.

At a dyno - you can test all the engine theory you want to get the best output - then show they dyno sheet to your converter guy and he can build you the correct converter the first time.

Just a comment.

Just an FYI, I didn't spend a dime on the converter. It was loaned to me by a fellow racer friend to try......If I had the extra $1000 laying around I would take it to a dyno.......Just not in the budget AT ALL. So I'm using what I have available that doesn't cost me anything but time, and most of my track time is being paid for by someone else......so low budget stuff for now.

I've never really had any reason to suspect the ignition, but I'll definitely look into it. Deal with that though, is that they are not the same from the other car. My old car ran a 7al3 with an older pro power coil. Got the new HVC2 coil and it didn't make any difference then. New car has a 7al2 with the HVC2 coil from before. The first test pass on Friday my plugs were actually kind of fouled, but I wanted to run them anyway. I had fresh plugs waiting ready to go. I pulled them at the end of the run and they were clean.....Haven't put in the new plugs yet, but the ones in it now are clean enough to read the fuel ring and timing mark on the strap clearly.....I didn't think they would burn off that well......I still have the older coil as well, and can swap them out in about a minute, but it just doesn't seem like that's the problem to me. However, this whole thing is throwing me for a loop anyway, so I'll try it next time out...

Joel, what valve sizes are you talking about? I'm at 2.350 intakes and 1.900 exhausts. That was the valve sizes when I bought the heads. Send me a pm on your stuff and pricing for working on mine though, I'm thinking of having more work done to them over the winter, and thanks for the offer!
Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream rear engine dragster
Speed kills but it's better than going slow!
http://www.livinthedreamracing.com
Authorized Amsoil Retailer
Alaskaracer
Expert
Expert

Post by Alaskaracer »

Joel, you have a pm
Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream rear engine dragster
Speed kills but it's better than going slow!
http://www.livinthedreamracing.com
Authorized Amsoil Retailer
yota1280

Post by yota1280 »

What about reversion? Having any problems or signs of it?
greg

Post by greg »

u need to change ur fuel filter its Clogged :lol:
Ted Gerstenslager

Post by Ted Gerstenslager »

Coloradoracer
DRR Sportsman

posted March 27, 2015 07:58 AM Hide Post
I had that issue with the last motor I had in my car. I had figured compression was around 14.5:1 and after I found out the true deck height and stuff, my actual compression was in the low 12:1 area....No wonder it wouldn't run.....

New motor however, VERY different story....

Well now it is no longer a mystery, professional help is sometimes required. Never guesstimate things when building engines, you wont be happy with the end results.
F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Post by F-BIRD'88 »

Ted Gerstenslager wrote:Coloradoracer
DRR Sportsman

posted March 27, 2015 07:58 AM Hide Post
I had that issue with the last motor I had in my car. I had figured compression was around 14.5:1 and after I found out the true deck height and stuff, my actual compression was in the low 12:1 area....No wonder it wouldn't run.....

New motor however, VERY different story....

Well now it is no longer a mystery, professional help is sometimes required. Never guesstimate things when building engines, you wont be happy with the end results.
Are you saying that ColoradoRacer has posted this or sent this message to you?

That he finally figured out that his 14.5:1cr engine is really barley 12:1cr.

His motor was likely designed-intended to run (a big shot of nitrous) all the time.

I designed such a motor for a friend, here. it was only 11:1 but was intended for (and got) a 600HP shot of nitrous.
YUp it was "a Turd" N/A ..Only ran 10's.
But was a animal when on nitrous. 8.60 @163 3800# all steel car. 406 SBC

methanol carb..... 114 octane race gas on the nitrous side.
70imp355

Post by 70imp355 »

I find it funny F-Bird that you said 10s is a turd lol especially in a 3800 pound car with a sbc lmao
F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Post by F-BIRD'88 »

70imp355 wrote:I find it funny F-Bird that you said 10s is a turd lol especially in a 3800 pound car with a sbc lmao
ha ha yup its all relative.. By the way, the custom Nitrous cam in this motor did NOT make it a turd.
This nitrous cam also made the most horsepower, when dyno tested N/A, all motor. (and also the most in car , N/A MPH)
(this motor was never dyno tested with the nitrous, but was extensively dyno tested without the nitrous and various cams)

The car was "a tank" :-) The car needed two different rear gear ratios. One for running N/A and another gear set for nitrous.
When drag tested with the "nitrous gears" it was "a turd" on just the motor. 4.30 and 5.13 gears.

Its all relative. This car was way too heavy too. But was fun.