Aluminum rod reduces shock load to crank

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

SchmidtMotorWorks
Vendor

Re: Aluminum rod reduces shock load to crank

Post by SchmidtMotorWorks »

SchmidtMotorWorks wrote:
SchmidtMotorWorks wrote:Kevin can you demonstrate with specific examples how your wiki link is useful to anyone that makes decisions for a professional motorsports engine development program?
Crickets chirping. :lol:
Still waiting., please explain how someone could use your link to improve a connecting rod design (the subject at hand).

If you really meant to show a constructive way to do something I would be happy to hear it.

It is becoming obvious that it is just another rabbit hole to nowhere.
Helping to Deliver the Promise of Flying Cars
Kevin Johnson
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Kevin Johnson »

SchmidtMotorWorks wrote: Kevin, Luerenbaum was the worst example of a crankshaft design I have ever seen and there is no design anything like it in a modern engine. So you think that someone that designs a crank like this should be taken seriously? Get a clue.
Jon, get a translator. Luerenbaum tested numerous designs in cast and forged metal.
Driving Force Online: BREAKING NEWS—Ohio Governor Signs SEMA-Supported Vehicle Freedom Bill Into Law!
SchmidtMotorWorks
Vendor

Kevin Johnson wrote:
SchmidtMotorWorks wrote: Kevin, Luerenbaum was the worst example of a crankshaft design I have ever seen and there is no design anything like it in a modern engine. So you think that someone that designs a crank like this should be taken seriously? Get a clue.
Jon, get a translator. Luerenbaum tested numerous designs in cast and forged metal.
That is the one he chose to photograph, it is a terrible design, the WORST I HAVE EVER SEEN!

I'm curious do you think it is a good design? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Kevin Johnson
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Kevin Johnson »

SchmidtMotorWorks wrote:
SchmidtMotorWorks wrote:
SchmidtMotorWorks wrote:Kevin can you demonstrate with specific examples how your wiki link is useful to anyone that makes decisions for a professional motorsports engine development program?
Still waiting., please explain how someone could use your link to improve a connecting rod design (the subject at hand).

If you really meant to show a constructive way to do something I would be happy to hear it.

It is becoming obvious that it is just another rabbit hole to nowhere.
:lol:

As I mentioned elsewhere, it's not your first rodeo, that's for sure.

And, I repeat, "whoosh".
Driving Force Online: BREAKING NEWS—Ohio Governor Signs SEMA-Supported Vehicle Freedom Bill Into Law!
SchmidtMotorWorks
Vendor

As I mentioned elsewhere, it's not your first rodeo, that's for sure.

And, I repeat, "whoosh".
I understand the lame dodge you are trying to make here.

Just admit it, your link was a useless rabbit hole.
Kevin Johnson
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Kevin Johnson »

SchmidtMotorWorks wrote:
Kevin Johnson wrote:
That is the one he chose to photograph, it is a terrible design, the WORST I HAVE EVER SEEN!

I'm curious do you think it is a good design? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
So, again, I suggest you get a translator. That design was tested in a dyno or teststand for 90 hours before the crank broke. It was cut up and smaller segments were tested on the reverse torsion machine.

You just keep digging a deeper hole...

Oh, by the way: PLEASE -- Read the article or at least look at the pretty pictures. The very first picture in the article is of a failed test sample. Your Lieblingsfoto is two pages after that.
SchmidtMotorWorks
Vendor

So, again, I suggest you get a translator. That design was tested in a dyno or teststand for 90 hours before the crank broke. It was cut up and smaller segments were tested on the reverse torsion machine.

90 hours in the 1930s by a war profiteer wow. I should really discard all of my experience in 1,000's modern billet racing cranks. :roll:

Another lame dodge, can you answer the question?

Do you think that crank is a good example to be followed? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
SchmidtMotorWorks
Vendor

SchmidtMotorWorks wrote:
Kevin Johnson
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Kevin Johnson »

SchmidtMotorWorks wrote:

90 hours in the 1930s by a war profiteer wow. I should really discard all of my experience in 1,000's modern billet racing cranks. :roll:

Another lame dodge, can you answer the question?

Do you think that crank is a good example to be followed? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

You're really off-base in your characterizing Luerenbaum as a war profiteer. Huh? WOW!

Oskar Schindler ran the enamel works -- easy to mix up, I know. #-o

They were evaluating automobile type casting of cranks (and materials) for possible use in aircraft engines (but this was only part of the testing performed).
SchmidtMotorWorks
Vendor

Still waiting for you to answer questions, why are you dodging them?

Here my guess:

You don't know of any way to do anything useful with your wiki link.
You know that is a terrible crank design but since you suggested it was an example to follow you can't admit it now.
Kevin Johnson
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Kevin Johnson »

SchmidtMotorWorks wrote:Still waiting for you to answer questions, why are you dodging them?

Here my guess:

You don't know of any way to do anything useful with your wiki link.
You know that is a terrible crank design but since you suggested it was an example to follow you can't admit it now.
1) I already answered your question. You simply did not understand and/or appreciate the answer.

2) I am sorry for triggering you somehow and we are now off in Bizzaroland, circa the Third Reich.
SchmidtMotorWorks
Vendor

Kevin Johnson wrote:
Truckedup wrote:Taking it one step more.....Suppose you have an engine that's breaking crankshafts with steel rods.Lets say this engine is not an alcohol or nitro fuel engine.. Would the crank last longer with aluminum rods? Yes,many variables,just a theory question.
There are too many variables. Moreover, merely stating "variables" tends to imply that higher order combinations of variables (and variables themselves) can be directly equated. Look at how Transcendental numbers differ fundamentally from numbers that are algebraic http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transcendental_number

You need to guard against the fallacy of equivocation.
Here is your suggestion and link.
Show us how to use Transcendental numbers to answer his question.
SchmidtMotorWorks
Vendor

Still waiting, is this a good crankshaft design or not?
PFC1
Expert
Expert

Post by PFC1 »

Warp Speed wrote:
Truckedup wrote:Ok,does an aluminum rod really transmit less shock to the crankshaft compared to a steel rod? Performance aluminum rod manufacturers make this claim.Yes,I know aluminum rods have a short life span. :D
Yes it does......

It also soaks up work to a certain extent. Work compressing the rod that could be used to turn the wheels.
Only needed, recomended, advantagous when serious cylinder pressures are present.
I can see the aluminum rod absorbing a bit of shock and spreading the shock load out which could be good. How would the aluminum rod "soak up work"? Where would this soaked up work go to?

Bret
Last edited by PFC1 on Sat Apr 20, 2013 12:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pullin' for Christ
Kevin Johnson
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Kevin Johnson »

SchmidtMotorWorks wrote:
Kevin Johnson wrote:
Truckedup wrote:Taking it one step more.....Suppose you have an engine that's breaking crankshafts with steel rods.Lets say this engine is not an alcohol or nitro fuel engine.. Would the crank last longer with aluminum rods? Yes,many variables,just a theory question.
There are too many variables. Moreover, merely stating "variables" tends to imply that higher order combinations of variables (and variables themselves) can be directly equated. Look at how Transcendental numbers differ fundamentally from numbers that are algebraic http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transcendental_number

You need to guard against the fallacy of equivocation.
Here is your suggestion and link.
Show us how to use Transcendental numbers to answer his question.
I think I see where you are confused. The set of possible solutions has a cardinality of at least Aleph 1 and each solution can itself be a variable in a counter-proposal; the set of chosen solutions is a finite subset of Aleph null but even if infinitely many solutions are chosen the cardinality of that set will still be Aleph null. Selecting or choosing solutions imparts rationality (in the mathematical sense).

So, I am Leibniz. You are Clarke. Who is Newton? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Clarke-Leibniz correspondance. Newton's Bulldog. I studied Kant under Professor Schoenfeld at USF. The Philosophy of the young Kant: the precritical project