racing gasoline

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Truckedup
Guru
Guru
Posts: 1278
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:41 pm

racing gasoline

Postby Truckedup » Mon Apr 01, 2013 6:05 am

Can anyone explain to me what the various grades of these fuels are used for? I have to pick one to use,vintage Triumph cycle race engine ,10.5 static compression ,maximum 7500 rpm.This engine will detonate with 93 octane pump gas.In the past I mixed 93 unleaded with 110 Sunoco leaded racing fuel for similar tuned engines.The race Sunoco is no longer readily available and mixing fuels is a pain..Leaded is nice for the valve seats......I understand some racing fuels may burn too slowly?
These are the VP fuel grades available at the Ohio Mile...Prices are per 5 gallons,not one gallon.

VP110 (107 Octane) $50

C12 (108 Octane) $65

Q16 (Oxygenated Octane 116) $80

C16 (117 Octane) $75

C 23 (Leaded 120+ Octane) $85

MR 12 (Leaded Oxygenated-87 octane MC) $110

U 4.4 (Leaded Oxygenated-103 octane MC) $70

VP113 (Leaded-Oxygenated Fuel-109 octane) $60

VP 100 (Unleaded / Oxygenated 96 octane Street Legal) $65

MS109 (Unleaded / 101 Octane) $70

VPR (Leaded Oxygenated-101) $55

C9 (Unleaded / Non-Oxygened-92 Octane) $50

C10 (Unleaded / Non-Oxygened-96 Octane) $65

T4 (unleaded-Oxygenated-93 Octane) $55
Naked frame LSR bikes, dressed in animal hides clinging to machines propelled by fire...

bluenose
Member
Member
Posts: 61
Joined: Fri Dec 16, 2011 9:39 pm

Re: racing gasoline

Postby bluenose » Mon Apr 01, 2013 6:43 am

Goggle VP Racing Fuels, call their Teck people, always good to answer your questions, this time of year they use a lot of C-12 in racing snowmobiles up here, same in summer at the Drag races but I would be calling them because of the different burn rates vs compression etc.

User avatar
jmarkaudio
Guru
Guru
Posts: 4035
Joined: Wed Sep 26, 2007 10:26 am
Location: Florida
Contact:

Re: racing gasoline

Postby jmarkaudio » Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:29 am

If you have access to av-gas I would run it. VP 110 should be more than capable of replacing the Sunoco.

http://www.vpracingfuels.com/master-fuels-table
Mark Whitener
http://racingfuelsystems.myfunforum.org
____

Good work isn't cheap and cheap work can't be good.

Truckedup
Guru
Guru
Posts: 1278
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:41 pm

Re: racing gasoline

Postby Truckedup » Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:42 am

Thanks, I contacted VP fuels as suggested.I will post their answer when it comes... Thanks
Naked frame LSR bikes, dressed in animal hides clinging to machines propelled by fire...

Abbottracingheads
Expert
Expert
Posts: 746
Joined: Fri May 18, 2007 5:46 pm
Location: Crane, Texas
Contact:

Re: racing gasoline

Postby Abbottracingheads » Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:56 am

I would use the VP-113.
Abbott Racing Heads and Engines

pdq67
Guru
Guru
Posts: 7040
Joined: Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:05 pm

Re: racing gasoline

Postby pdq67 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 6:46 pm

I flat don't know, but I will say that there are guys burning spec. E85 in up to 17 to 1 CR dedicated race engines so please look into this.

pdq67

David Redszus
Guru
Guru
Posts: 5872
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2007 9:27 am
Location: Chicago
Contact:

Re: racing gasoline

Postby David Redszus » Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:00 pm

If I were stuck with VP fuels, I would use C12 or C44 for your application.

rookie
Guru
Guru
Posts: 1569
Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2007 12:48 am
Location: In the woods

Re: racing gasoline

Postby rookie » Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:00 am

bluenose wrote:Goggle VP Racing Fuels, call their Teck people, always good to answer your questions, this time of year they use a lot of C-12 in racing snowmobiles up here, same in summer at the Drag races but I would be calling them because of the different burn rates vs compression etc.

Let the guys know if they are not sanctioned that VP Blue is the same fuel as C-12 just a different color and $35 dollars a drum cheaper...unless your fuel guy is scamming you.
Last edited by rookie on Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Has Anything You've Done Made Your Life Better?

rookie
Guru
Guru
Posts: 1569
Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2007 12:48 am
Location: In the woods

Re: racing gasoline

Postby rookie » Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:04 am

Truckedup wrote:Can anyone explain to me what the various grades of these fuels are used for? I have to pick one to use,vintage Triumph cycle race engine ,10.5 static compression ,maximum 7500 rpm.This engine will detonate with 93 octane pump gas.In the past I mixed 93 unleaded with 110 Sunoco leaded racing fuel for similar tuned engines.The race Sunoco is no longer readily available and mixing fuels is a pain..Leaded is nice for the valve seats......I understand some racing fuels may burn too slowly?
These are the VP fuel grades available at the Ohio Mile...Prices are per 5 gallons,not one gallon.

VP110 (107 Octane) $50

C12 (108 Octane) $65

Q16 (Oxygenated Octane 116) $80

C16 (117 Octane) $75

C 23 (Leaded 120+ Octane) $85

MR 12 (Leaded Oxygenated-87 octane MC) $110

U 4.4 (Leaded Oxygenated-103 octane MC) $70

VP113 (Leaded-Oxygenated Fuel-109 octane) $60

VP 100 (Unleaded / Oxygenated 96 octane Street Legal) $65

MS109 (Unleaded / 101 Octane) $70

VPR (Leaded Oxygenated-101) $55

C9 (Unleaded / Non-Oxygened-92 Octane) $50

C10 (Unleaded / Non-Oxygened-96 Octane) $65

T4 (unleaded-Oxygenated-93 Octane) $55

110 is good up to 13.1 compression, I don't know why you would need any more, I have had several circle track guys go to 110 after blowing up to many 10.1 "pump gas" engines.
Has Anything You've Done Made Your Life Better?

jeff8407
New Member
New Member
Posts: 37
Joined: Wed Sep 12, 2012 6:04 pm

Re: racing gasoline

Postby jeff8407 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:53 am

One of the other posters recommended AV Gas. I would caution against it. AV Gas is made to operate at altitude where the air is thinner and much cooler, and as a result, is a relatively "dry" fuel. It can be hard on cylinder walls. As others have suggested, ask the manufacturer.

David Redszus
Guru
Guru
Posts: 5872
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2007 9:27 am
Location: Chicago
Contact:

Re: racing gasoline

Postby David Redszus » Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:16 pm

jeff8407 wrote:One of the other posters recommended AV Gas. I would caution against it. AV Gas is made to operate at altitude where the air is thinner and much cooler, and as a result, is a relatively "dry" fuel. It can be hard on cylinder walls. As others have suggested, ask the manufacturer.

As mentioned above; do NOT us AVGAS in a racing engine.
Octane is only one of several properties that determine the correct fuel for a given application.
Do NOT expect the fuel supplier to know which fuel is best for your specific application. They do not know but often talk as if they really did know.

User avatar
jmarkaudio
Guru
Guru
Posts: 4035
Joined: Wed Sep 26, 2007 10:26 am
Location: Florida
Contact:

Re: racing gasoline

Postby jmarkaudio » Tue Apr 02, 2013 4:38 pm

jeff8407 wrote:One of the other posters recommended AV Gas. I would caution against it. AV Gas is made to operate at altitude where the air is thinner and much cooler, and as a result, is a relatively "dry" fuel. It can be hard on cylinder walls. As others have suggested, ask the manufacturer.



Yep, it really beats up on those aircraft engines that drop out the sky like flies when the engines fail... What's the other one... it doesn't run well below 10,000 feet. Please. :roll:

Did anyone read the app? A 10.5 to 1 engine, wanting to add to pump gas to give it a little protection? I wonder how many thousands of successful race engines have been run on av gas over the years. Sure it may not be good or ideal for some, and the quality isn't the same as it once was, but I would much rather run it over pump gas if the cost was the same. For a 10.5 to 1 engine tune it for the fuel and it will run just fine.
Mark Whitener
http://racingfuelsystems.myfunforum.org
____

Good work isn't cheap and cheap work can't be good.

pdq67
Guru
Guru
Posts: 7040
Joined: Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:05 pm

Re: racing gasoline

Postby pdq67 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:17 pm

Back again, try to find some regular unleaded gasoline w/o ethanol in it and add some KEMCO 130 Supreme real lead octane booster.

It has real Tetra-Ethyl Lead in it that's just like the stuff they used to put in "ethyl" gasoline to boost it's poor octane back when I was a kid.

pdq67

cuslog
Pro
Pro
Posts: 367
Joined: Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:08 pm
Location: BC, Canada

Re: racing gasoline

Postby cuslog » Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:26 pm

I've been running my supercharged 540 BBC on AV Gas for 2 years now, no problems, high quality fuel.

Strange Magic
Guru
Guru
Posts: 1721
Joined: Sun Dec 03, 2006 1:14 am
Location: New York
Contact:

Re: racing gasoline

Postby Strange Magic » Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:30 pm

VP makes a product called "Red" it's 100 octane. It will be perfect for your application, and it's cheap compared to all the fuels you listed.
strangemagicperformance.com
Strange Magic Camshaft Technologies
Decisions on parts and advise should not be based on how much money a company can pour into marketing. This is a common mis-conception in the industry.


Return to “Engine Tech”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], kcengines, tobbe53 and 30 guests