Exhaust thrust

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

wyrmrider
Guru
Guru
Re: Exhaust thrust

Post by wyrmrider »

First car over two hundred, 204 at Alton Ill 1960 (Chris Karamesines not us), was running weed burners,
maybe Hydrazine
SchmidtMotorWorks
Vendor

Post by SchmidtMotorWorks »

Lets do the math.

Taking the last upward turn of the zoomie pipe alone (the problems is much more complex though)
Using large #s 3" ID and 12" length in Z axis the volume is about 84 cubic inches
The air mass is 0.004 lbs, let's round up to 0.01 for fuel.
Let's say the exit velocity is 1,000 feet per second (I think it is much lower).
The force from the last turn in the pipe doesn't appear to be much.

Another place to look for down/side force from exhaust gas motion is from the acceleration of the gas in the exhaust valve seat throat during blow down. The acceleration is 100's of times higher there.

Helping to Deliver the Promise of Flying Cars
Stan Weiss
Vendor

Post by Stan Weiss »

MadBill wrote:The governing principle is Newton's Third Law of Motion: "Every action has an equal and opposite reaction", so the force of the exhaust being directed upwards causes a reaction force driving the exhaust pipe downward.The equation is F = MA, so what's needed to compute it is the exhaust mass and the acceleration (from zero vertical velocity to whatever). Mass will be ingested air plus fuel, or 14/13 x CFM x 0.076 lb., but acceleration is a little trickier as it depends on exhaust gas velocity, which in turn depends on density and exit pipe diameter. For example, compared to a typical collector, a proper rocket nozzle would increase thrust at the expense of power lost to backpressure.

I have a policy of not doing math in public, so someone else can take it from here... :)
Bill,
A 600 ci engine @ 100% VE @ 6500 RPM - Inlet Temp 70 F - BP 29.92. A/F ratio 13:1 will have a Mass air flow of 5070 lbs/hr and a mass fuel flow of 390 lbs/hr.

Stan
Stan Weiss/World Wide Enterprises
Offering Performance Software Since 1987
http://www.magneticlynx.com/carfor/carfor.htm
David Vizard & Stan Weiss' IOP / Flow / Induction Optimization Software
http://www.magneticlynx.com/DV
SchmidtMotorWorks
Vendor

Thinking about why funny cars swerve when a cylinder goes dead, might have more to do with aerodynamics.
Malvn
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Malvn »

funny cars swerve when a cylinder goes dead, might have more to do with aerodynamics.

Are you able to do a Simulations with the CFD for the above ?? It would be really interesting to see that :)
SchmidtMotorWorks
Vendor

Malvn wrote:
funny cars swerve when a cylinder goes dead, might have more to do with aerodynamics.

Are you able to do a Simulations with the CFD for the above ?? It would be really interesting to see that :)
I am doing work for a FC team now but I don't have a model of the body, it is one of those things that I would like to do.
I have a list of instruments that I am working on now to measure a chain of clutch, tire and track values to help with clutch tuning.
Malvn
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Malvn »

I am doing work for a FC team now but I don't have a model of the body, it is one of those things that I would like to do.

Darn I was getting really excited about seeing that in your CFD program :(

It does sound very interesting to me on how this CFD program really works :)
To be able to look at clutch settings airflow crankshaft designs etc. :)

My thoughts on why they swerve is the loss of Torque in one cylinder that was there then gone real quick causing a negative
torque steer plus the aerodynamics.
Last edited by Malvn on Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SchmidtMotorWorks
Vendor

Malvn wrote:

Darn I was getting really excited about seeing that in your CFD program :(

It does sound very interesting to me on how this CFD program really works :)
To be able to look at clutch settings airflow crankshaft designs etc. :)
CFD wouldn't be for the clutch. I am making actual machines to measure the friction on the red-hot discs and another machine to measure the pressure plate force and other instruments for tire and track friction.
Then a solver to pick clutch adjustments from that data.

Surprisingly the one of the most challenging parts of the project is making the machines so that they can fit in the trailer, be moved easily, run on the power from the generator. These projects are 1% idea, 99% work.

Any of this tech is available to learn and use at community colleges, even some high-schools have it now.

Here is a link to some classes in PA to get started.

http://www.hacc.edu/NonCredit/upload/Co ... hining.pdf
Malvn
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Malvn »

Thanks for the link on classes in Pa

But that is to far from my actual Home

Although I have signed up for Classes on Fluid Dynamics for this up coming Fall :)

SchmidtMotorWorks

Just to let you know I Ment no pun or digs about the CFD
SchmidtMotorWorks
Vendor

Malvn wrote:Thanks for the link on classes in Pa

But that is to far from my actual Home

Although I have signed up for Classes on Fluid Dynamics for this up coming Fall :)
Great decision! =D> =D> =D>
srq

Post by srq »

I was just reading about aerodynamics on a F1 tech forum (I should of copy and pasted it) and one member from a TF team said their exhausts can have as much as 800 lbs of downward force. I know these engines make some hellish power but does this sound right ?
Any thoughts from the TF guys ?

WB
SchmidtMotorWorks
Vendor

srq wrote:I was just reading about aerodynamics on a F1 tech forum (I should of copy and pasted it) and one member from a TF team said their exhausts can have as much as 800 lbs of downward force. I know these engines make some hellish power but does this sound right ?
Any thoughts from the TF guys ?

WB
Most nitro guys think it does but the math shows otherwise at least as a result of the curved pipe shape.
There are plenty of physics issues that people in all levels of motorsports are mistaken about.
Frankly, very few people in the sport would take the time to pick up a calculator to check their beliefs.
rookie
Guru
Guru

Post by rookie »

As one crew man found out a few of years ago, it's enough to rip you pants clean off!
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1087115_.html
Has Anything You've Done Made Your Life Better?
SchmidtMotorWorks
Vendor

This looks like the instant where the exhaust was blew into his pants:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
SchmidtMotorWorks
Vendor

Here is after the car has passed, his pants don't seem to be off.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.