How is business?

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

speedtalk
Site Admin
Site Admin
Re: How is business?

Post by speedtalk »

cstraub wrote:Don hope this is okay to post here.
Fine with me. I'd also like to hear some feedback.
In Memory of Don Terrill
SpeedTalk Owner/Admin
Lasher...
Post by Lasher... »

1st quarter was pretty good.... I was feeling pretty optomistic then.... the 2nq quarter slowed down remained mixed.... some lines up and some down..
So far the 3rd quarter has been better than expected.... We didnt get the normal " Back to School " slowdown that we often do..... thus far over all has things up a few percent.

We do have some Chinese stuff..... not much..... Professional Products is one.... it's up.... Proform is another....it's mixed at best.

Ya have to be carefull in who you " Sell " it to.... You must make sure not to allow say a Proform rocker with a quick acting cam..... Then again it's a line designed to be " inexpensive ".... If you are set up not to directly " sell " the product to the account and they are " ordering " it from you, then it's harder to stop a potential mistake from happening.

Not to bash any mfgs but there is one Chinese line that is definetly NOT worth it...... I'll say this in a veiled way.... it ryhmes with Rat..... Only had that one for a couple months..... sent as much as I could back....
bill jones
Guru
Guru

Post by bill jones »

-I'm not a legitimate business but I have been busier this year, all year with about 25 days of slow time total.
-I port and flowtest heads, build & freshen up race engines and do machining of racey things, carburetors, shotpeening, ignition testing, build flowbench tooling, welding and fabrication and a lot of other racey things.
-I've been doing this in my back yard shop since 1978 and this is the 3rd best year I've ever had.
-The imported parts I try use at all if I can help it.
-About half my work is Subaru racing heads, about 1/4 is maintaining big chief BBC and BBF engine type engines.
-Having a really good year so far.

Post by Guest »

1st quarter was slow but picked up in second and most of 3rd starting to slow down but have some big prodjects that should be coming along.

The chinese stuff don,t want to use it but it comes in the door.The only stuff i won,t use is the rat stuff looks like iron ore.

mike
k-star
Guru
Guru

year

Post by k-star »

I was really busy untill the middle of the year. It fell off for about 3 weeks but now i have plenty to do again.

Keith
“If I hit you with this you’re going to be numb, that’s why they call them numb-chucks “Si Robertson
speedtalk
Site Admin
Site Admin
Post by speedtalk »

Hey Keith, Thanks for joining the forum
In Memory of Don Terrill
SpeedTalk Owner/Admin
CNC BLOCKS
Guru
Guru

Post by CNC BLOCKS »

The 1st and 2and quarter was good the 3rd was a little slow but better then the past 2 years and right now the engine shop is picking back up again and the CNC block business seems to going good right know. Usally after the PRI show things seem to really pick up.
Website is up and running
http://hinksonautomotive-cncblocks.com/
Machine shop tour
http://hinksonautomotive-cncblocks.com/shop-tour/
Monthly Specials
http://hinksonautomotive-cncblocks.com/specials/
55MM babbit cam bearings with 1 hole
Adger Smith
Guru
Guru

Post by Adger Smith »

In my part of the country it seem like election years are always different. I've been in business 34 years & it seems wars & elections & oil have the biggest effect on business. Our area economy was tied to defense work for many years, now it is not as dependent on Govt contracts. I have always been lucky to do be able to have the stock / semi stock work pick up the slack in hard times. It is the transition time that is bothersome.
Adger Smith
Adger Smith Performance Engines
903 794 7223 shop
903 824 4924 cell
adgersperf@aol.com e-mail
andyf
Guru
Guru

Post by andyf »

Business has been pretty good this year, up about 35% over last year. Sales always drop off hard in Oct and November but that is actually nice since then I can get back into R&D mode.
Andy F.
AR Engineering