THX BJ1,

Pease call UDHarold .

pdq67
bigcam406
Pro
Pro

Re: Voodoo lunati cams?

Post by bigcam406 »

i have heard alot of good things about the Voodoo line.from what ive read so far on this post about your combo,i'd run the first cam with a 1.6 rocker on the intake.if you want more higher end torque and hp,run the second grind with a 1.6 rocker on the intake.that second cam will compliment your big bore short stroke combo at higher rpms,so,it all depends on what you want.i wouldnt worry about the split between the intake and exhaust durations.
Sky rocket

Post by Sky rocket »

bigcam406 wrote:i have heard alot of good things about the Voodoo line.from what ive read so far on this post about your combo,i'd run the first cam with a 1.6 rocker on the intake.if you want more higher end torque and hp,run the second grind with a 1.6 rocker on the intake.that second cam will compliment your big bore short stroke combo at higher rpms,so,it all depends on what you want.i wouldnt worry about the split between the intake and exhaust durations.

Thanks for your reply, on the 2nd cam grind, do you think this street motor will turn into horrible street motor?
bigcam406
Pro
Pro

Post by bigcam406 »

it wont be horrible with the second cam,but it wont be as responsive at lower rpm's as much as the first cam will be.if its strictly a street motor,go with the first cam.in this case,less is better.
BrazilianZ28Camaro
Guru
Guru

Post by BrazilianZ28Camaro »

Sky rocket wrote:
BrazilianZ28Camaro wrote:With your CR and Gears, I'm with Lunati,,,cam number one, BUT the AFR 227 dont like that big spread from intake duration to exaust duration.

Somemething about two to four degrees more exaust duration works better, Tony Mamo tould us this, if I remember correctly.

If want more, increase the CR to 11.5 to 1, bigger cam and 410 gears. With a five or six speed tranny I'd go with 108LCA.
Can you please explain why the large split hurts the AFR's?

I'm just saying what somebody tested. I'd luv to have a dyno data about this but havent....
Big Joe have found different results,which are perfectly aceptable.

This is the proof every engine is unique.

About the small duration split, I do believe that every parameter in the engine is a compromise.

You can choose a bigger exaust duration, to compensate a weak exaust port to increase the power after the HP peak up in the rpm range;

or, if you have a strong exaust port like the AFRs have, remove a bit of exaust duration to take more advantage of the cylinder pressure to build more torque at lower rpms.

Since the car in question have 3.54 gears, roll the torque curve down by keeping the cylinder pressure longer into the cylinder may be a good move.

The RPM involved, CR and exaust system will be a big factor on this also. High CR, high RPM engines will benefit more from more exaust duration than the hot street cars.

JMHO
'71 Z28 street strip car
Pump gas All motor SBC 427
3308 lbs-29x10.5 Hoosiers
NEW BEST ET
1.38 60' / 4.05 330' / 6.32@111.25mph

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99p13UK ... ture=share
383hoopty

Post by 383hoopty »

Are the new Lunati TL2 & TR2 just a revised voodoo or a new design?
66Vette

Post by 66Vette »

I run the smaller Voodoo cam (PN 60131 237/243 .566/.578 at 1.5, I use a T&D 1.6 shaft rocker). This line of cams was designed by Harold and I talked to him before I bought the cam. He was going to do a custom cam for me, but said the Voodoo was a great profile for what I was trying to do. The motor is a 374 SBC (4.125" x 3.5"), AFR 195 comp ported heads, 10.5:1, 1.75" headers. The motor dynoed at 540 ish HP, 500 fl/lbs. The motor is in a 66 Vette that I autocross. I also drive the car to and from events. I have about three years of competition with the car and all is well.
Caprimaniac
Guru
Guru

Post by Caprimaniac »

bigjoe1 wrote: The stronger the horsepower and the higher the engine will rev has the most to do with the extra exhaust duration.
JOE SHERMAN RACING
I run a similar cam on a SBF stroker and after the install i asked myself why such difference between duration and lift on inlet VS ex? I plotted the engine data into DesktopDyno and compared it to a cam with identical lobes (as far as duration and lift goes)- and I now remember they're called symmetrical. The curve was reaching top torque and Hp as the symmetrical cam, but the curve held it's high values to the right, just as Joe says.

BTW engine has been running strong and well with the cam, although I'm a little bit down on comp, so there's more to be found.... I'm shifting at 7000- 7500. 624/640 lift.
How to turn GURU in an instant.....
Sky rocket

Post by Sky rocket »

66Vette wrote:I run the smaller Voodoo cam (PN 60131 237/243 .566/.578 at 1.5, I use a T&D 1.6 shaft rocker). This line of cams was designed by Harold and I talked to him before I bought the cam. He was going to do a custom cam for me, but said the Voodoo was a great profile for what I was trying to do. The motor is a 374 SBC (4.125" x 3.5"), AFR 195 comp ported heads, 10.5:1, 1.75" headers. The motor dynoed at 540 ish HP, 500 fl/lbs. The motor is in a 66 Vette that I autocross. I also drive the car to and from events. I have about three years of competition with the car and all is well.
Interesting, my cam is similar to yours but ground on 112 lca.
Sky rocket

Post by Sky rocket »

So would it be better to give it a little more spring and choose the first cam profile? Would it be better on 108lsa instead of 110lsa?
6sally6
Expert
Expert

Post by 6sally6 »

I vote for the 108 LSA to "bleed off" like you originally posted. Have a sweet "lick" too!
6sally6
wyrmrider
Guru
Guru

Post by wyrmrider »

.Walter Wrote
Yes they do have specially designated VooDoo profiles for a .904" diameter lifter
I was looking for a small block dodge on the Voodoo page
Chry 10200701 to 10200705
Chev 1012701 to -10120705
look like the same grind to me
what are you looking at
They nick the dodge guys some hefty extra $$$
Sky rocket

Post by Sky rocket »

wyrmrider wrote:.Walter Wrote
Yes they do have specially designated VooDoo profiles for a .904" diameter lifter
I was looking for a small block dodge on the Voodoo page
Chry 10200701 to 10200705
Chev 1012701 to -10120705
look like the same grind to me
what are you looking at
They nick the dodge guys some hefty extra $$$
This has nothing to do with my engine tho??
66Vette

Post by 66Vette »

I think at this point you talk to Harold or Cam King. Harold and I were kicking around this very subject before I bought the Voodoo profile. We were bouncing back and forth on a 108 or 110 LSA. There are a mix of factors including how the car is being used that play into this. Get the advice of someone who has BTDT.
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Post by Walter R. Malik »

383hoopty wrote:Are the new Lunati TL2 & TR2 just a revised voodoo or a new design?
Completely different series than the VooDoo series.
http://www.rmcompetition.com
Specialty engine building at its finest.