Voodoo lunati cams?

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

wyrmrider
Guru
Guru
Re: Voodoo lunati cams?

Post by wyrmrider »

This has nothing to do with my engine tho??
Exactly
I ave you my best shot when I said contact Harold and if no answer Jones
you should have all the information you need
If I had to pick one like throwing darts at the catalog I'd pick the first one with high lift rockers
As for the longer duration on the exhaust issue.
Out of the box the older heads needed more exhaust than the new heads,
Open headers or through the mufflers the new heads only need 4-6 degrees whereas the older heads liked 8-10-12.
Once they are ported then the actual flows determine.
Adding exhaust for higher revs starts from the base duration (4-6 (8-12) as indicated above.
Best to use your specific flow numbers and someone who knows how to interpret them.

"Lunati's Voodoo series of Hydraulic camshafts deliver more area under the curve than any other series of Hydraulic camshafts."
I quit looking at Lunati's catalog after determining the above statement had no veracity as far as Voodoo Chryslers are concerned.
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Post by Walter R. Malik »

wyrmrider wrote:.Walter Wrote
Yes they do have specially designated VooDoo profiles for a .904" diameter lifter
I was looking for a small block dodge on the Voodoo page
Chry 10200701 to 10200705
Chev 1012701 to -10120705
look like the same grind to me
what are you looking at
They nick the dodge guys some hefty extra $$$
Might be ... what they actually have in their dealer "lobe profile listings" of available LOBE PROFILES and what is simply listed for a catalog camshaft could be two completely different things.
However, the numbers you list are really close but, have DIFFERENT lobes on the camshafts.

Let's pick two:
10200703 = DODGE - 271/279@.006" - 226/234@.050" - 145/153@.200" - .329"/.342" lobe lift.
10120703 = Chevrolet - 268/276@.006" - 227/233@.050" - 140/146@.200" -
.326"/.337" lobe lift.
NOT the same; THAT - is what I am looking at.

They don't have an .875" flat lifter diameter series for VooDoo HYDRAULIC listings but, DO have .904"s. And, in solid flat tappet they have all three lifter diameters; .842" - .875" - .904" available.

Before giving inaccurate information while giving the impression that you know something about the subject - think twice before you talk about the veracity of any statements.
Last edited by Walter R. Malik on Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.rmcompetition.com
Specialty engine building at its finest.
wyrmrider
Guru
Guru

Post by wyrmrider »

You get into the bigger solid lifters I spot checked some 0bvious Lunati 904 profiles
I doubt if the smaller hydraulics are special- most cam grinders (Crane) aren't unless you get a custom grind
and many sub out the smaller grinds too production shops...
Crrower has some excellent 904's but you have to ask
Comp may have added some
Back in the Day Isky had ONE big solid Chrysler special grind- they developed it for our 413 Dodge Stage I Max wedge 3 speed stick shift car may still be in the catalog
I still use it to dial in chassis- it and a Racer Brown are very consistent
Engle has the K series and show in the catalog for AMC but only the larger K6 and K7 show in the Chrysler section
but since ENGLE is all custom it's no big deal - just order the grind from the AMC section.
Engle was back ordered on Small Block Chrysler QUALITY billets...
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

wyrmrider wrote: I doubt if the smaller hydraulics are special- most cam grinders (Crane) aren't unless you get a custom grind
and many sub out the smaller grinds too production shops...
Your doubts are wrong ... you are giving Lunati a very large disservice - they are different lobes with different identification numbers.

This was not about what any other company might have offered in the past or offers now but, simply about the offerings within the LUNATI VooDoo series of lobes.
Don't change the subject to encompass other situations simply because you were found to be wrong about this subject.
wyrmrider
Guru
Guru

Post by wyrmrider »

Lunati advertises
""Lunati's Voodoo series of Hydraulic camshafts deliver more area under the curve than any other series of Hydraulic camshafts.""
This statement is not true
SchmidtMotorWorks
Vendor

Post by SchmidtMotorWorks »

wyrmrider wrote:Lunati advertises
""Lunati's Voodoo series of Hydraulic camshafts deliver more area under the curve than any other series of Hydraulic camshafts.""
This statement is not true
If it is the series of cams I am thinking of that claim may have been sort-of true if you included the caveat "for a given maximum positive and negative acceleration".

That would be the case if the acceleration curves have sharp corners.

That said, I don't think sharp corners on an acceleration curve is a good thing.

A lot of arguments could be quickly settled and the facts could be known if someone would just graph the cam.
Helping to Deliver the Promise of Flying Cars
wyrmrider
Guru
Guru

Post by wyrmrider »

I would think it may have been true at one point in time for .842 lifters where they work well.
If you are running A Ford, or Dodge, you are giving up the the benefits of larger lifters with this series.
Big durations, solid lifters, other series may be a different story. Can't really tell from the Catalog

A .904 cam can give 454 lift (300+ lobe) with 202@.050 on a non radical asymetrical lobe or 209 on a very conservative daily driver lobe
novadude
Guru
Guru

Post by novadude »

Where are you guys finding the Lunati Lobe Profile listings? I've been searching online and coming up with nothing.
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

novadude wrote:Where are you guys finding the Lunati Lobe Profile listings? I've been searching online and coming up with nothing.
AND ... you won't find a profile listing. If you are a Lunati dealer, you can get it.

Lunati MOPAR VooDoo Camshafts are designed for use in conjunction with a .904" diameter lifter.

"wyrmrider" has little idea of what the VooDoo lobes really are although he pretends to know. He should ask the guy he professes to be THE guy to go to - UDHarold.
Harold designed those VooDoo .904" lobe profiles for Lunati as well as all the rest of the VooDoo flat tappet series; I am not sure who designed the hydraulic roller and roller VooDoo profile's.
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Walter R. Malik wrote:
wyrmrider wrote: I was looking for a small block dodge on the Voodoo page
Chry 10200701 to 10200705
Chev 1012701 to -10120705
look like the same grind to me
what are you looking at
The numbers you list are really close but, have DIFFERENT lobes on the camshafts.

Let's pick two:

10200703 = DODGE - 271/279@.006" - 226/234@.050" - 145/153@.200" - .329"/.342" lobe lift.
#1753 - VH44 intake lobe / #1755 - VH45 exhaust lobe

10120703 = Chevrolet - 268/276@.006" - 227/233@.050" - 140/146@.200" -
.326"/.337" lobe lift.
#1703 - VH33 intake lobe / #1705 - VH34 exhaust lobe

NOT the same; THAT - is what I am looking at.

They don't have an .875" flat lifter diameter series for VooDoo HYDRAULIC listings but, DO have .904"s. And, in VooDoo solid flat tappet they have all three lifter diameters; .842" - .875" - .904" available.
I have added the individual profile numbers to the camshaft part number listings above.
wyrmrider
Guru
Guru

Post by wyrmrider »

Thanks
I see your point on the 268 cam, different grind identifiers, about the same result
If they roll the noses over for some reason (like fits 1.7 springs) you can't tell
however
1 The intake description on the 256 cams appears identical
2 Lunati munges the definition of SAE (J640D) so it is not clear how they calculate their "advertised duration"
so what does "268" mean?
3 Hydraulic. The most awesome 268 cam ever produced! Out-powers all others!
Hardly- and no way to tell from the Catalog
I'll try a lunati on the next 360-400 Dodge Magnum I build but most likely not a flat tappett although the 112 LCA would work with the stock computer squeezing the LCA down to 110 would make it tough

"Lunati's Voodoo series of Solid Roller camshafts deliver more area under the curve than any other series of Hydraulic camshafts."
so which is it?
pdq67
Guru
Guru

Post by pdq67 »

How we doing here?

pdq67
Sky rocket

Post by Sky rocket »

Lost.com!!
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Sky rocket wrote:Lost.com!!
My main point is:
The description of operating mannerisms in a camshaft catalog are merely a synopsis for the average person to compare one to another.
Those descriptions have no real technical value and should not be taken as such.
wyrmrider
Guru
Guru

Post by wyrmrider »

Good point
"Those descriptions have no real technical value and should not be taken as such."
The chevy vs chrysler appear to be distinctions without a difference however
Lunati does not give the grind numbers in their catalog
perhaps there is some substantial difference between the grind numbers you provided
I do not see the lift differences I would expect but perhaps a lift design rule was imposed for valve spring or other reason, can't tell
I've never cam doctored a Lunati
Best to stick with grinding good cams and get out of the catalog puffery business
There is no way "for the average person to compare one to another"