Moderator: Team

Dan Timberlake
Guru
Guru
Re: Having trouble getting rings to seat, I guess

Post by Dan Timberlake »

Hi Wish,,

Anything to report?

Could try Burd Graf-flox rings as shown on page 259 here - they seat instantly.
http://books.google.com/books?id=CtkDAA ... &q&f=false

in-car re-ringing was a fact of automotive life back in 1948. There is at least one other ad for a piston ring manufacturer (Hastings) in that link.
groberts101
Guru
Guru

Post by groberts101 »

I'm sure there are many pro's that may disagree with this.. but I have personally sealed more than a few "bad re-ring jobs" up by installing a PCV valve on a sealed motor(no fresh air inlet). Some motors will seat/reseat in less than 50 miles of "spirited driving" and then you can return to the traditional closed PCV setup or just run open case/breathers. Even running a header evac setup with free flowing mufflers can help sometimes.

Running manifold vacuum on a sealed case will stress the hell out of the seals and potentially cause a few leaks in the process though. Lessor of 2 evil's and what's easier to fix though.
hodge
Expert
Expert

Post by hodge »

groberts101 wrote:I'm sure there are many pro's that may disagree with this.. but I have personally sealed more than a few "bad re-ring jobs" up by installing a PCV valve on a sealed motor(no fresh air inlet). Some motors will seat/reseat in less than 50 miles of "spirited driving" and then you can return to the traditional closed PCV setup or just run open case/breathers. Even running a header evac setup with free flowing mufflers can help sometimes.

Running manifold vacuum on a sealed case will stress the hell out of the seals and potentially cause a few leaks in the process though. Lessor of 2 evil's and what's easier to fix though.

Ya you best becareful because with 20-30"hg plus vacum, on decel it will create problems
wishicouldbe

Post by wishicouldbe »

I can't hardly drive the truck because it won't do the speed limit as soon as I put it in 3rd gear it falls on it's face and won't increase rpm's
Dodge Freak
Guru
Guru

Post by Dodge Freak »

That isn't good :(

Not sure what to recommend, maybe clean the spark plugs ?

Did the rings go on upside down ?
wishicouldbe

Post by wishicouldbe »

Spark plugs are fine rings went in the correct way
hodge
Expert
Expert

Post by hodge »

wishicouldbe wrote:360, bored 60, forged flat top pistons, stock crank and rods, plasma moly top rings, edelbrock heads, comp cams BMT, rpm air gap...

Freshly built engine with about 100 miles, has lots of blow by, smoke out the exhaust when you give it part or full throttle but not at idle.. Is it the rings not seating or something else possibly.. If its the rings how can I get them to seat where it with quit smoking

You need to go in with a camera with the carb off and look for where the oil is coming in it should show up, may very well be the intake sealing at the ports