Balance...neutral.....over.....under..????

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

BrazilianZ28Camaro
Guru
Guru
Re: Balance...neutral.....over.....under..????

Post by BrazilianZ28Camaro »

SchmidtMotorWorks wrote:
Do they ever miss on their designs?

Do they ever overbalance?
It depends on what you mean by "miss". Miss is is a good word to use because crankshaft design is like the Whack-a-mole game, there are many more issues to deal with besides counterweight design in crankshaft design. Take for example the 2.0 main cranks, the trade-off for reduced bearing drag is a crank that is very flexible. Flexibility brings lots of new problems such as torsional vibration, and distortion because a crank distorts in contorted ways due to it's offset rod pins. One of the problems that comes with distortion is the snout wobbles out of position which causes problems for the cam drive.

There are lot's of things you can do to try to reduce the problem by stiffening the crank but they are all trade-off compromises. For example you can add stiffness by making the rod throw arms stronger, but there are an infinite number of variations for how to do that and just simply making them wider or thicker won't get you competitive anymore.
Making the compromise to have stronger but heavier rod throws will bring new problems, for example it might change the frequency of torsional vibration so that it coincides with the frequency of a force in the engine and now the problems are worse than they were before strengthening the crank. When you run into this problem you have to get weight off the crank or move it to other locations to change the natural frequency. That means another compromise like using counterweight designs that are not what you would choose for bearing loads but they make the crank lighter. As you can see, it is all involved with trade-off compromises, you can't just design a crank that is strong or light and say it is the best design.
So given all those variables and the situation that the team may be able to simulate some of the dynamics but may not have all of the data or technical skills or software or time/priority required to simulate everything, at some point they have to do experiments to determine the consequence of a change. Sometimes those experiments are made without expectation that the problem will be cured, they just need to have data about the consequence of changing some design parameter.
So after many cycles of improvement inevitably a change is made elsewhere in the engine that for example results in faster combustion that introduces a new frequency for the crank to deal with and avoid vibration. It's a game of whack-a-mole, there is no such thing as a final perfect design.
As an engine reaches higher performance levels it becomes impossible to make the required shapes from economical crankshaft forgings.

As you can probably see from this process, in all of this compromise and relocating of counterweights to solve a specific problem, balancing to some particular bob-weight that could result in any infinite number of non-specific results becomes meaningless.

Evaluating a counterweight design and balance by something as simple as bob-weight and over/under-balance is like trying to determine if your meal is nutritious by weighing it, you need more specific information, the weight doesn't tell you much that is useful to determine if the meal is nutritious or not.
Looks like you know a bit about cranks Mr Schmidth !!!

I'm wondering if total ignition timing,CR and fuel come into play when design a top team good "compromised" crank.

If the power stroke induce vibration to the crank I believe the engineers need to know exactly where the pk cylinder pressure happens?

Another question, there are vibration frequencies on a tipical V8 engine wich are naturally canceled out by RPM, number of cylinders or by the "V" degree of the block?

Crankshaft and exaust science is at the top of my list of "fascinating things happening into a engine". :D
'71 Z28 street strip car
Pump gas All motor SBC 427
3308 lbs-29x10.5 Hoosiers
NEW BEST ET
1.38 60' / 4.05 330' / 6.32@111.25mph

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99p13UK ... ture=share
LSP
Pro
Pro

Post by LSP »

Does anyone else know, are the NASCAR cranks overbalanced?
swatson454
Guru
Guru

Post by swatson454 »

Jon,

First off, thanks for posting your experience. Much appreciated!

Do you have any thoughts or words of wisdom concerning the 4/7 swap that's common on Gen 1 SBC engines? How much of the info out there is accurate?
Live in such a way that those who know you but don't know God will come to know God because they know you.
Strange Magic
Guru
Guru

Post by Strange Magic »

Having a tough time believing that the top engines running in competition are under balanced. Adding weight from design, in the correct places will flaten out the fuel curve from reduced harmonics, and that in its self is worth power. I've removed crankshafts that where of the same stroke, 2-4 pounds lighter and have replaced them with heavier ones of a better design from counter weight clocking, and they have showed gains of 8-12 hp.
strangemagicperformance.com
Strange Magic Camshaft Technologies
Decisions on parts and advise should not be based on how much money a company can pour into marketing. This is a common mis-conception in the industry.
MadBill
Guru
Guru

Post by MadBill »

David Vizard relates a story told him by Dick Maskin of Dart. Time constraints forced the latter to throw an engine together with significant underbalance and it ran better than expected so Vizard is now experimenting with same. :-k
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.
CNC BLOCKS
Guru
Guru

Post by CNC BLOCKS »

MadBill wrote:David Vizard relates a story told him by Dick Maskin of Dart. Time constraints forced the latter to throw an engine together with significant underbalance and it ran better than expected so Vizard is now experimenting with same. :-k
Might work great on 500 inch Prostock engine but I would not try that on circle track engine.
Website is up and running
http://hinksonautomotive-cncblocks.com/
Machine shop tour
http://hinksonautomotive-cncblocks.com/shop-tour/
Monthly Specials
http://hinksonautomotive-cncblocks.com/specials/
55MM babbit cam bearings with 1 hole
SchmidtMotorWorks
Vendor

Post by SchmidtMotorWorks »

I'm wondering if total ignition timing,CR and fuel come into play when design a top team good "compromised" crank.

If the power stroke induce vibration to the crank I believe the engineers need to know exactly where the pk cylinder pressure happens?
Look at this video, the cylinder pressure data as you see in graph is input to the computation.
Notice in the graph that the forces that are applied to the crank from compression and combustion loads are much sharper than sinusoidal, if you do Fourier series decomposition you can find out what frequencies are produced. Since these frequencies are not the same as crank rpm, there is ABSOLUTELY NO DIRECT RELATIONSHIP between over balance and under-balance to this problem other than that the crank balancer might by coincidence add or remove wight to a place that changes the harmonic frequency of the crank in a way that it does not coincide with the excitement frequency at a critical RPM and load.

http://www.lmsintl.com/demo-movie-powertrain-motion

Think about it, the phenomena that some people claim over-balance has helped is a vibration at a particular range of engine speed, this is a symptom of a torsional vibration. Since a crank balancer operates at a constant speed and load and doesn't even measure vibration within the crank body it has absolutely no capability to measure anything to do with vibration within the crank body itself. You might as well use an ohm-meter to measure the electrical resistance in the crank it would be just as irrelevant.

Another question, there are vibration frequencies on a tipical V8 engine wich are naturally canceled out by RPM, number of cylinders or by the "V" degree of the block?
It depends on what vibration you are thinking of, if you mean the inherent benefits of a 90 degree V , yes of course but this is completely different issue from the vibration within the crankshaft itself.

Maybe this analogy will make it clear. Lets say you made a huge tuning fork, as big as a crankshaft and you made it with journals so that it could be spun on a crankshaft balancer. You can clamp any sized neutrally balanced bob-weights and run it at any speed you want, it will not cause the tuning fork to vibrate at its harmonic frequency. If however you hit it with a hammer with a force that is equal to or sharper than its natural frequency it will vibrate. I hope this illustrate that a crankshaft balance is a useless, irrelevant tool for anything to do with crankshaft harmonics. If you have experienced a benefit to reducing harmonics by changing BW, it is simply a coincidence.
Last edited by SchmidtMotorWorks on Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Helping to Deliver the Promise of Flying Cars
SchmidtMotorWorks
Vendor

CNC BLOCKS wrote:
MadBill wrote:David Vizard relates a story told him by Dick Maskin of Dart. Time constraints forced the latter to throw an engine together with significant underbalance and it ran better than expected so Vizard is now experimenting with same. :-k
Might work great on 500 inch Prostock engine but I would not try that on circle track engine.
Flat cranks are under-balanced, sometimes as low as 100% rotating and 0% reciprocating. You can do that because it doesn't change the vibration of the engine.

Cross-plane cranks are typically balanced neutral to minimize vibration that would fatigue the driver and car (loosen screws etc).

Still waiting to hear any physics based explanation for using overbalance.
SchmidtMotorWorks
Vendor

Strange Magic wrote:Having a tough time believing that the top engines running in competition are under balanced. Adding weight from design, in the correct places will flaten out the fuel curve from reduced harmonics, and that in its self is worth power. I've removed crankshafts that where of the same stroke, 2-4 pounds lighter and have replaced them with heavier ones of a better design from counter weight clocking, and they have showed gains of 8-12 hp.
Somehow every professional engine developer that I know of runs the the absolute lightest crank they can, how do you think they missed that?

Can you explain your connection between weight, harmonics and fuel curve?

A heavier crank that has a lower natural frequency is more vulnerable to internal vibration than a light one most of the time, unless by coincidence the engine and crank have an unfortunate match. But that isn't predictable just looking at the parts.
BrazilianZ28Camaro
Guru
Guru

Post by BrazilianZ28Camaro »

SchmidtMotorWorks wrote: It depends on what vibration you are thinking of, if you mean the inherent benefits of a 90 degree V , yes of course but this is completely different issue from the vibration within the crankshaft itself.

Maybe this analogy will make it clear. Lets say you made a huge tuning fork, as big as a crankshaft and you made it with journals so that it could be spun on a crankshaft balancer. You can clamp any sized neutrally balanced bob-weights and run it at any speed you want, it will not cause the tuning fork to vibrate at its harmonic frequency. If however you hit it with a hammer with a force that is equal to or sharper than its natural frequency it will vibrate. I hope this illustrate that a crankshaft balance is a useless, irrelevant tool for anything to do with crankshaft harmonics. If you have experienced a benefit to reducing harmonics by changing BW, it is simply a coincidence.

Sorry, I didn't explained it well, I was asking if the vibrations caused by the power strokes at specific RPM bands may be used to cancel out some crank torsional vibrations, meaning, the crank balance could be "set" to a different RPM band to create a smoother running engine trhough a wider rpm band. :-k

With this question, I'm assuming the counterweights are working "almost perfectly" only at determined RPM band.

I'm also wondering if the torque converter wouldn't be a excellent torsional harmonic dampner ??

Am I way off on this?

Thanks for the explanations.
'71 Z28 street strip car
Pump gas All motor SBC 427
3308 lbs-29x10.5 Hoosiers
NEW BEST ET
1.38 60' / 4.05 330' / 6.32@111.25mph

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99p13UK ... ture=share
Strange Magic
Guru
Guru

Post by Strange Magic »

I've seen on numerous occasions where the center counters where deliberatly left out in an effort to create the lightest possible crankshaft. Over a 30 year period, I have learned that weight reduction is a great asset in the acceleration rate of an engine, of which rarely shows up on anything but an inertia dyno, and down teh race track, but i've also learned to not sacrafice weight for less mechanical reliability and increased harmonics. A poorly designed crankshaft will produce unequl loads amoungst the 5 main journals, and when you can get that weight equally distributed accordingly amoung those 5 journals, not only does the engine look brand new when taken apart, but the harmonics are that much less, which has a direct relationship to the fuel curve of that given engine.

let me explain a real senerio rather than just some hyped up rumour spewed on some internet forum because i've got nothing better to do with my time.

Here is the deal. In working with many engines over the years, it was customery to recieve a crankshaft from a major crankshaft company that pretty much immulates that of a factory crankshaft, just in better material. Been there and have done that. Then as the years rolled on, not only where crankshafts made of better material but where re-engineered in there counter weight clocking (as mentioned herein this thread). Then came along an understanding of load variences and a quest to equalize those loads amoungst the 5 main saddles. I have taken many of my customers engines, re-vamped them, added a crankshaft of the same stroke, yet heavier with the addition of center counters, and those engines not only increased power on the dyno, but averaged a flatter fuel curve and went down the track faster.

It's the same deal that goes with pistons and the design of. You don't sacrafice mechanical reliability for weight, to only have a piston flex in the pin bosses. A stable piston at a slighter higher weight, will out preform one that is unstable.
Decisions on parts and advise should not be based on how much money a company can pour into marketing. This is a common mis-conception in the industry.
SchmidtMotorWorks
Vendor

Sorry, I didn't explained it well, I was asking if the vibrations caused by the power strokes at specific RPM bands may be used to cancel out some crank torsional vibrations, meaning, the crank balance could be "set" to a different RPM band to create a smoother running engine trhough a wider rpm band. :-k

With this question, I'm assuming the counterweights are working "almost perfectly" only at determined RPM band.

I'm also wondering if the torque converter wouldn't be a excellent torsional harmonic dampner ??

Am I way off on this?

Thanks for the explanations.
A balance is not set to an RPM.
Counterweights don't cancel out torsional vibration, they either absorb it or go into resonance with it.

Yes all objects connected to the crank are involved in torsional vibration, a torque converter might dampen at some frequencies and the additional mass might lower the natural frequency to make it more vulnerable resonate more, there are no one way streets or absolutes.
SchmidtMotorWorks
Vendor

Having a tough time believing that the top engines running in competition are under balanced. Adding weight from design, in the correct places will flaten out the fuel curve from reduced harmonics, and that in its self is worth power. I've removed crankshafts that where of the same stroke, 2-4 pounds lighter and have replaced them with heavier ones of a better design from counter weight clocking, and they have showed gains of 8-12 hp.
I've seen on numerous occasions where the center counters where deliberatly left out in an effort to create the lightest possible crankshaft. Over a 30 year period, I have learned that weight reduction is a great asset in the acceleration rate of an engine, of which rarely shows up on anything but an inertia dyno, and down teh race track, but i've also learned to not sacrafice weight for less mechanical reliability and increased harmonics. A poorly designed crankshaft will produce unequl loads amoungst the 5 main journals, and when you can get that weight equally distributed accordingly amoung those 5 journals, not only does the engine look brand new when taken apart, but the harmonics are that much less, which has a direct relationship to the fuel curve of that given engine.
Over or under-balance has no direct connection to counterweight design. Both the best and worst counterweight designs can be either over balanced or under-balanced, it means nothing to the bearing loads compared to having the counterweights in the correct size and index.

In regards to center counterweights or not, again there is no one-size-fits-all rule for that either. It depends on the BW, and the available room in the block for CW 2 & 3, how much you are willing to spend putting heavy metal in 2 & 3 and the flexibility of the crank due to small mains and or long stroke etc.
Strange Magic
Guru
Guru

Post by Strange Magic »

Over or under-balance has no direct connection to counterweight design.
I noticed that you high lighted my post and started yours with the following above. I've seen this done numerous times over and over again on the internet, where as one is addressing an answer to response that is not even there. With that said, I ask you, where in my post do I, or did I say that there is a direct relationship between an over or under having to do with static or unladden weight?

It's not there, so with that said there is no reason to put words in my mouth or anyone elses for that matter.

Same applies to the below, where as you commented in your post with my post high lighted within. Do you do this often on speedtalk? I don't post to much, but I can see it being annoying to the readers and the individuals posting.
In regards to center counterweights or not, again there is no one-size-fits-all rule for that either
Last edited by Strange Magic on Sun Feb 03, 2013 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SchmidtMotorWorks
Vendor

Strange Magic wrote:
Over or under-balance has no direct connection to counterweight design.
I noticed that you high lighted my post and started yours with the following above. I've seen this done numerous times over and over again on the internet, where as one is addressing an answer to response that is not even there. With that said, I ask you, where in my post do I, or did I say that there is a direct relationship between an over or under having to do with static or unladden weight?

It's not there, so with that said there is no reason to put words in my mouth or anyone elses for that matter.
I got that impression from this: Did it mean something else?
I can tell you this, I see the cranks used in the highest levels of many forms of racing and can't think of one where 2-4 lbs are added to improve them with the exception of center counterweights.

When you say "harmonics" do you mean torsional or cross-axis bending?

Flat cranks are customarily underbalanced.

Still wondering what the connection is to fuel curve.