which tunnel ram and carbs should i buy

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Strange Magic
Guru
Guru

Re: which tunnel ram and carbs should i buy

Post by Strange Magic »

The 10.2 big m has a weight difference of 140 pounds between iron and aluminum. I'm not sure if the small block is the same. I would have to say no.
strangemagicperformance.com
Strange Magic Camshaft Technologies
Decisions on parts and advise should not be based on how much money a company can pour into marketing. This is a common mis-conception in the industry.
nyesgym
Pro
Pro

Post by nyesgym »

not real sure of the exact weight difference, ,but for sure it is lighter. after I get the new motor in, I will reweigh the vega and see where I am at. last time I weighed it, it weighted 2160, but then I went to a dart iron eagle block ,which is heavier,added, pan under neath, changed batteries, carbs, ect, now changing everything again. so will find out.
Strange Magic
Guru
Guru

Post by Strange Magic »

it weighted 2160,
I didn't know it was that light. Wow.
Decisions on parts and advise should not be based on how much money a company can pour into marketing. This is a common mis-conception in the industry.
nyesgym
Pro
Pro

Post by nyesgym »

I figure with new aluminum motor, but I hate to speculate ! weight . will be just over 2000 lbs without me in it. I will weight it for sure. I will rescale my car and replume it to make sure it did not twist on me. then I will adjust my weight on my car so it is where I want it to be
nyesgym
Pro
Pro

Post by nyesgym »

my motor is out of my vega and in my sons nova with the sheet metal tunnel ram on it. this is a 5 speed G force trans ,456 gears and 29" tires. gotta tell you nervous about 1st launch. will keep rpms low, no wheelie bars on this car. and it wheelied with 383 in it. while I have you guys here, new engine build 421 all aluminum block. brodix 18 degree spread port ,ported heads, matched brodix intake set up for dominator. 15.5-1 compression. 488 gears, 2 speed glide. 1.80 1st gear, 32" tires. ,the car with me in it will be about 2200 lbs. I know I will be going through traps about 8300 rpms. cam is 745 lift, 1.6 rockers, 270 duration. 800 hp motor, I am told ? any way I am thinking ultra dominator 1050 cfm 3 circuit [ leave off trans-brake} but pro systems, say 1200 cfm ? what should I do
Strange Magic
Guru
Guru

Post by Strange Magic »

my motor is out of my vega and in my sons nova with the sheet metal tunnel ram on it. this is a 5 speed G force trans ,456 gears and 29" tires. gotta tell you nervous about 1st launch. will keep rpms low,
Nothing to worry about. Assuming the car is 2800 or maybe even more pounds and the gear (4.56) you mention, it should bog when it leaves.
GARY C
HotPass
HotPass

Post by GARY C »

nyesgym wrote:my motor is out of my vega and in my sons nova with the sheet metal tunnel ram on it. this is a 5 speed G force trans ,456 gears and 29" tires. gotta tell you nervous about 1st launch. will keep rpms low, no wheelie bars on this car. and it wheelied with 383 in it. while I have you guys here, new engine build 421 all aluminum block. brodix 18 degree spread port ,ported heads, matched brodix intake set up for dominator. 15.5-1 compression. 488 gears, 2 speed glide. 1.80 1st gear, 32" tires. ,the car with me in it will be about 2200 lbs. I know I will be going through traps about 8300 rpms. cam is 745 lift, 1.6 rockers, 270 duration. 800 hp motor, I am told ? any way I am thinking ultra dominator 1050 cfm 3 circuit [ leave off trans-brake} but pro systems, say 1200 cfm ? what should I do
Two thoughts come to mind, one is start a new thread for the new engine and two is consult with professional carb builders like Pro Systems, AED and Jmark and others with "experience" from this forum viewtopic.php?f=1&t=37693 before choosing a carb and save yourself 59 pages of coulda woulda shoulda.
Please Note!
THE ABOVE POST IN NO WAY REFLECTS THE VIEWS OF SPEED TALK OR IT'S MEMBERS AND SHOULD BE VIEWED AS ENTERTAINMENT ONLY...Thanks, The Management!
Strange Magic
Guru
Guru

Post by Strange Magic »

Nyes gym.......what's the latest?

Any progress or updates?
nyesgym
Pro
Pro

Post by nyesgym »

Just yesterday I finished motor rebuild, and put motor in car. picking up fresh alcohol upper lube and NGK plugs. every single thing is new. I put this together this time. found a lot of mistakes by other motor guy I used, will break motor in on Saturday and hope to take to the track on sunday
wyrmrider
Guru
Guru

Post by wyrmrider »

good to hear from you
you and son be safe
nyesgym
Pro
Pro

Post by nyesgym »

my son is packing as we speak, being deployed again, what do you think about break new rings in ? on alcohol or gas ?
wyrmrider
Guru
Guru

Post by wyrmrider »

If your alcohol tune is good either
if not gas
you do not want to wash down your cylinder walls in any case
load cylinders/ rings, back off create vacuum to flush and oil, repeat
I remember at Lyons the week before Bakersfield we made a half pass on and off the throttle to break in a new T F motor
I have no idea how they do it today
Sometimes and with chrome rings we pre lap in a spare cylinder/ block
rings seal right up with no real break in
not with moly rings but should work with SS
ASK YOUR RING VENDOR
nyesgym
Pro
Pro

Post by nyesgym »

thanks