Re: which tunnel ram and carbs should i buy

Post by nyesgym »

pictures of sheet metal tunnel will not load on here, but they do on face book
BrazilianZ28Camaro
Guru
Guru

Post by BrazilianZ28Camaro »

nyesgym wrote:pictures of sheet metal tunnel will not load on here, but they do on face book

You can create a accont at Imageshack and upload there. Then you just cut and paste the link at your reply screen here. :wink:
'71 Z28 street strip car
Pump gas All motor SBC 427
3308 lbs-29x10.5 Hoosiers
NEW BEST ET
1.38 60' / 4.05 330' / 6.32@111.25mph

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99p13UK ... ture=share
nyesgym
Pro
Pro

Post by nyesgym »

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
nyesgym
Pro
Pro

Post by nyesgym »

nyesgym
Pro
Pro

Post by nyesgym »

nyesgym
Pro
Pro

Post by nyesgym »

ok ,got 3 pictures up of sheet metal intake, kind of dirty, must clean up, but should i glass bead inside and remove paint
BrazilianZ28Camaro
Guru
Guru

Post by BrazilianZ28Camaro »

nyesgym wrote:ok ,got 3 pictures up of sheet metal intake, kind of dirty, must clean up, but should i glass bead inside and remove paint
If you dont remove the paint , the engine will. :mrgreen:

You can try a paint remover or a solvent.

Sand blast maybe.
'71 Z28 street strip car
Pump gas All motor SBC 427
3308 lbs-29x10.5 Hoosiers
NEW BEST ET
1.38 60' / 4.05 330' / 6.32@111.25mph

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99p13UK ... ture=share
nyesgym
Pro
Pro

Post by nyesgym »

i will glass bead the inside and clean real good, pin it in place and match the ports.
nyesgym
Pro
Pro

Post by nyesgym »

ok ,finally got the time to check my converter . car all jacked up on stands, warmed motor up.took the chip out of my 2 step. put in 1st gear, turned on trans-brake and floored it. rpms shot to 6300 , then in about 1 second crept to 6500 rpms and held there. did it several times and each time was the same. So seems most everyone on here said thats where it should be, so I am leaving converter alone. I also decided to just put 1 950 carb on my sheet metal intake, since i have 2 different tops for it, this will give me a base line to start from. and no cost me any more money for now.
nyesgym
Pro
Pro

Post by nyesgym »

ok, finally went to test and tune,with new sheet metal intake on. kept everything the same. same jets,same timing. so i launch the car, i could feel ,it had less power, did not pull as hard, right at traps at 8200 rpms, it started rattling, i shut it off and coasted to a stop. towed back to pits, picked up my timne slip. car with wilson super victor,& 950 carb, ran 8.80. 153 mph. 60' was 1.23. new sheet metal intake. 60' was 1.28 and et was 9.000 at 148 lbs . and now motor is hurt. # 7 cylinder burnt hole in piston. sheet metal intake made motor way lean. I shoulkd have went up in jets sizes maybe 4 sizes, Hard lesson learned. A sheet metal intake NEEDS BIGGER JETS !!!!!!!!. will rebuild mnotor and go with 2 -950 carbs and jet the hell out of it at 1st
Strange Magic
Guru
Guru

Post by Strange Magic »

Your sheet metal manifolds volume is way to much for the motor size and cylinder heads, combined with that two speed glide. As you increase the volume from the back side of the intake valve to the throttle blade (in this case) you reduce the air speed otherwise known as velosity. It's the velocity (air speed) that signals your carbs boosters. The only way you can properly shear fuel with a manifold and combination such as you tried, is to lean down on the jet, to get that fuel to shear, but once up on rpm it will go dead lean. For you to take out a piston such as you did, you must have been dead lean, or ran a bunch of timing in to try to over come that poor 60ft from lack of air speed.

I've read through this topic for the first time, and I got the impression that you where dead set on that tunnel ram, come hell or high water.

If you want a suggestion on making your car faster, than get yourself a very good performing cast aluminum intake manifold that is set up for a single dominator. Edelbrock typically has some good manifolds, although the technology changes so frequently, that I am not up on the latest and greatest dominator 23 degree head manifolds. I have my own picks for who I think is knowledgable and has great results when it comes to a dominator carb. If you want a suggestion for a killer piece you can pm me and I will give you that individuals name. Get yourself a mechanical diode in that converter and have someone get a beter look at the amount or how those fins are welded in that converter. The correct converter will not "creep" as you described. It will flash and dead stop without that climb as described.

P.S. I would suggest that you not throw any hail marys at this thing, or you will end up with more hurt parts and less money. Have a clear understanding before you make any hasty decisions. How confident are you, that your fuel system is adequite for the task? Are you having fuel delivery issues? Are your floats set correctly?
turned on trans-brake and floored it. rpms shot to 6300 , then in about 1 second crept to 6500 rpms and held there. did it several times and each time was the same.
I do not endorse this concept, unless it is a very well needed situation to get an understanding of the stall. For high hp applications, I wouldn't recommend this at all. If your going to do this, than just do it once and no more. Make sure you warm it up, cool it down, and than flash it for no more than a 2 second count at the most.
strangemagicperformance.com
Strange Magic Camshaft Technologies
Decisions on parts and advise should not be based on how much money a company can pour into marketing. This is a common mis-conception in the industry.
bigjoe1
Show Guest
Show Guest

Post by bigjoe1 »

I bet you wish you would have run the new setup on the dyno now. This is what a dyno is used for. No big expensive mistakes

JOE SHERMAN RACING ENGINES
F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Post by F-BIRD'88 »

Using a single carb on a tunnel ram manifold never ends well.
Now you know why. Get two carbs.
nyesgym
Pro
Pro

Post by nyesgym »

yes, i sure wish ,i had run it on a dyno 1st, from now on, i will do that. Yes I really wanted to try this tunnel ram, why not ? not 1 person told me it would go slower, not 1 !. I did have a wilson super victor intake on 1st and thats a $850.00 intake, it worked, but everyone says a tunnel ram would be faster,so i tried it. Yes I am bull headed, when i buy something, i want to try and make it work. The plenum on this tunnel ram is very small,compaired to others I have seen. I think the 4 center cylinders get much more fuel then the outter ones. So 2 carbs are the way to go. I would be , I think nuts to put smaller jets in. Funny thing, I put this car together and all the local speed shops, told me ,i will never get it out of the tens, with my backwords indeas. and my crude looking parts. so, i try their ideas and sure enough my car goes slower. i try my ideas and i keep going faster. 8.78, is my best so far. Hey, I know, i screwed up ,by not putting it on a dyno, but i am not ready to give up on this tunnel ram yet. I know it needs 2 carbs. I just do not know what size - 2 dominators ,i think are 2 big. cheapest way is buy another 950 and run those 2. buy , I will buy 2 new ones if someone can convince me what to buy. i want to try this 1 more time
F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Post by F-BIRD'88 »

I would use 2 750 holley HP's. Not that hard to upgrade two used-donor 650 to 750 DP'ers to HP level status using two
Holley/Proform 750HP body kits.
Minor tuning of the jetting and air bleeds may be required.

Two used Edelbrock 750 AFB's (1407) will work well, on a budget.

May want to fabricate a prototype wooden top/plenum for that tunnel ram so you can try various thickness/plenum heights-plenum volumes to find out what the motor likes. A simple Low cost (heated) narrow band AFR gauge will keep you out of tuning trouble.
(warn of and avoid excessive lean conditions) I doubt the carb jetting was too lean on the single 950 but the end cylinder
fuel distribution was probably real bad. 5 and 7 tend to rob each other on a single carb application.

@ 15:1 compression you might want to look at the quality of the fuel you are using.

That sheet metal fabricated tunnel ram is a bit of an unknown-untested item.
It got removed and sold off for a reason.