which tunnel ram and carbs should i buy

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

nyesgym
Pro
Pro
Re: which tunnel ram and carbs should i buy

Post by nyesgym »

you are right, gotta buy some different gauges, so i can read them after my run. sorry, but my car is 95" wheel base and it does not always go straight. it lifts the wheels about 2', bottom of tire to road, so looking at the tack to see what happens when i launch at 4500 is not easy. thing is, when i lower the wheelie bars ,I spin. and truth be told, i like pulling that wheelie, so what gaues to buy ? 6500 converter, and victor ramn with 2 -850 on it, what else
zums
Guru
Guru

Post by zums »

look up autometer playback tachs, you choose the model that fits your needs, set the shift light to flash your eyes, get back to the pits read your stall, tire spin, shift rpm ect ect
fdicrasto
Expert
Expert

Post by fdicrasto »

Question; do you launch with a 2 step and 4500 chip? If so than you may have a decent stall speed converter after all.If I was in your shoes I would concentrate on the TR and call Quick Fuel about the possibility of purchasing another 950 and having them recalibrate your present carb to match the new one for a Tunnel ram app.This would be budget friendly and free up some money for something else. Go with a 32" tall tire and figure out what you need to do to have a 6000+ launch rpm. Don't get too many changes going on. You are looking for a tenth or tenth and a half and too many changes can be confusing. Get your tenth then go to suspension as previously mentioned. Your numbers for what you have are pretty good. Phil D.
bigjoe1
Show Guest
Show Guest

Post by bigjoe1 »

I would get an Edelbrock victor ram, and two 660 , or similar size carbs as a good starting point. I have used this same setup many times with great success, and it will save you thousands over the Hogan sheet metal that I never see work well anyhow

JOE SHERMAN RACING ENGINES
nyesgym
Pro
Pro

Post by nyesgym »

i have a 5500 converter, my bad information on that. yes i launch on a 2 step with a 4500 chip. launch higher ? i can try it and see what happens. what i do not understand is, right now i have 1 950 carb on and jetting is just right, how can i run 2 950 carbs on a tunnel ram and not be way too rich. I was thinking 2 660 carbs. ? but then alot of people say run only one carb
jmarkaudio
Vendor

Post by jmarkaudio »

Your car runs pretty good now, if the converter truly is a 4500 stall you need more. An 8" that stalls about 6000 will do it, and you might try borrowing a good 1050 Dominator. Between the two you should pick up almost all of what you need. And if the converter hit it too hard, readjust the suspension.
Mark Whitener
www.racingfuelsystems.com
____

Good work isn't cheap and cheap work can't be good.
nyesgym
Pro
Pro

Post by nyesgym »

ok question, if i have a 5500 converter, and i put a 6000 rpm chip in and i launch at 6000 rpms, what happens with the 5500 rpm converter
greywolf
Expert
Expert

Post by greywolf »

It won't launch on the chip, it should not be able to rev to 6000 if it is truly a 5500 stall.
When I turned 47 years old, I entered into my 5th decade of drag racing.
fdicrasto
Expert
Expert

Post by fdicrasto »

Okay,running too much carburetion does not mean you are running too rich. You have 421 cu inches, decent heads ,a little small on cam but not hopeless,a light car, it hooks decently, and you want to go faster. When I and lots of other modified and comp eliminator cars were running 277-296 cu in. iron headed, high winding motors, 2-done 750 carbs worked fine, slightly better than 850 base plated 660's and no sheet metal intakes. I believe that 130 more cu inches will handle the chore of 2-950 carbs.But good tricked out 660's will get you where you want to go and for $150-200 will get your converter loosened and freshened as long as you know what it stalls at with no chip. There are lots of good suggestions on this post and I am only stating my own but If this was my car,my budget, based on what I have experienced myself, I would not hesitate to do what I have suggested. I once was told that my 2-Chuck Gulledge 1150's were too big for my 486" old style BBC brodix headed combo. THEY WERE WRONG. Phil D.
nyesgym
Pro
Pro

Post by nyesgym »

Thanks Phil, you are right ,alot of good info. I thank all you guys for helping. I know what to do, now just gotta find the parts and buy them
Robert Kane
Pro
Pro

Post by Robert Kane »

S L A W K O. . SLAWKO. Please. it's Slawko racing heads.
Thanks.
Robert
nyesgym
Pro
Pro

Post by nyesgym »

yes thank you for correcting my spelling, been hit in the head too many times. yes that is the guy who did my heads, he is the one who told me to use that cam lift, I wanted a higher lift, but Tom, said no, listen to him, so I did. But, I will buy this victor ram and put 2 950 's on it, get my converter to 6500-7000, put 32" tires on and buy a ultimate tack. www.nyesgym.com ,,you know, I am 62 years old been racing ,since i was 16 years old. I really love drag racing, real excited about making these changes and then hopefully seeing the inprovement ! Nothing feels better, than a launch at 4500 and the car stands up and carrys the front end. Hey, if I win cool, if not, does not bother me. I am having fun. Thanks Terry Nye
Horndog
Pro
Pro

Post by Horndog »

To confirm what your current convertor's true stall RPM is, all you need to do is to pull the 4500 chip from the MSD box, set the trans brake, then mat it. Watch the tack to see what the highest RPM it reaches is. You shouldn't be on the mat no longer than 2-4 seconds. Before ordering a new conv, I think it would be in your favor to see exactly what you have first.
Jim Horner
avengerengines
Expert
Expert

Post by avengerengines »

nyesgym wrote:you are right, gotta buy some different gauges, so i can read them after my run. sorry, but my car is 95" wheel base and it does not always go straight. it lifts the wheels about 2', bottom of tire to road, so looking at the tack to see what happens when i launch at 4500 is not easy. thing is, when i lower the wheelie bars ,I spin. and truth be told, i like pulling that wheelie, so what gaues to buy ? 6500 converter, and victor ramn with 2 -850 on it, what else
I had a Vega and I know what you're talking about. I put a BBC in it and spent two months trying to get the wheelstand out of it. I slowed it down to 8.70s and it was a lot of fun with 2' wheelstands. The guy I sold it to didn't listen when I warned him. He put an injected 540 in it and crashed at the top end. He was ok but the car a total loss.
Bob
nyesgym
Pro
Pro

Post by nyesgym »

Will check rpms, wed, and thanks again for all the info, its great !. My vega was getting lose on top end, but I put a front and rear spoiler on and lower the car and that fixed that,