Gen V SBC

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

SchmidtMotorWorks
Vendor

Re: Gen V SBC

Post by SchmidtMotorWorks »

dfree383 wrote:Can we get a 350hp V8 that gets 35-40mpg in a truck?
You have hit on the critical question for the USA market.

One of the USAs best selling products, the F150, has zero possibility to meet the 2025 requirements.

If you live in a swing state be sure to get out and vote, so that there is at least some chance that those regulations will get canceled.
Helping to Deliver the Promise of Flying Cars
ap72
Guru
Guru

Post by ap72 »

You can't get 40mpg with a gasoline engine in anything that resembles what we think of as a truck- at least not if you're wanting to travel at 70 mph- or 85mph as in Texas.

40mpg in a commuter car is easy- as size and aerodynamics play a HUGE part in mileage.
LOL, according to the post count I'm an "expert." The only thing I'm an expert at is asking questions.
apprentice1

Post by apprentice1 »

Check out ecomodder.com 40mpg and 350 hp in a truck is achievable, but what are you willing to do to achieve that? Of course it still has to be a diesel...
DaveMcLain
Guru
Guru

Post by DaveMcLain »

The problem with diesels is that in order to meet the emission standards they have to greatly sacrifice economy. How good is the economy right now on something like a 2 liter turborcharged 4 cylinder diesel in some little car? I would say an easy 60-70mpg with good all around performance most likely but could it meet US emission standards and still do that?

This new Chevy V8 is really amazing in that it's a production engine will all this cool technology. I'm amazed that a car company can sell something with that kind of horsepower given how litigious people are today. It just seems like the days for this sort of thing are numbered...
Orr89rocz
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Orr89rocz »

May be good days but good luck aftermarket modding the new cars

The ECM uses a "public key encryption"/ Stateful connection to prevent tampering from gear heads. To better understand why it will be nearly impossible to crack. The ECM uses (TLS) transport layer protocol allows the ECM and fuel table applications to communicate across a data network via the internet back to GM in a way designed to prevent listening and tampering. This is for your protection and safety. The public key encryption on this ECM requires 2 keys. One to access the servers here at GM and once the integrity is validate then a second key encryption is provide to the ECM within the vehicle to allow diagnostics & restore of the fuel tables & fuel event system. Many of you will have questions about (YOUR PROTECTION). I will get in front of the ball and explain.

The ECM controls the exact point in time the fuel control solenoids closes. What this means you need a very fast computer to control the High Pressure Fuel solenoid cycles which is contained on the high pressure cam driven pump itself. (This ECM is basically a small PC with applications)

The ECM needs the crankshaft and cam position, fuel pressure sensor value to be
able to actuate/control the high pressure pump solenoid. This is dealing with the volume of fuel and all pressure at the same time. If the solenoid would remain closed at all time it would supply 2,175 psi all the time, which would cause all kinds of risk with the injection event. Resulting in total loss of the engine/vehicle.

The fuel system consist of low pressure side (pump in fuel tank) and High Pressure Fuel Pump (camshaft driven by lobe). The High Pressure Solenoid on the pump has zero errors. The ECM monitors the High Pressure Solenoid On/Off signaling duty cycles in real time as an added measure of security (VOLTS & AMPS). Thus this is the learning curve, reason for this is to actuate the fuel pressure control solenoid at a specific camshaft degree value of rotation learned. Self contained ECM system the system will lock if tampered the solenoid will remain open, fuel is then returned back to the fuel inlet and no pressure or volume will be seen. For your safety the engine will not start.
dirtracr5
Guru
Guru

Post by dirtracr5 »

everything can be cracked. its only a matter of time. high pressure direct injection has been around since 2007. my guess is its already been modified.
SchmidtMotorWorks
Vendor

Those regulations are a real mess, I was listening to a truck driver explain how everytime the truck goes into the shop for anything (not even engine related), the shop has to set the fuel injection to EPA mandated settings that hurt mileage almost 1 MPG. On a truck that gets about 4 MPG, that's a lot.
Rizzle
Expert
Expert

Post by Rizzle »

Its nice to see some info about the next Gen v8 from GM. I'm waiting to see how the truck engines do in terms of displacement and compression. These would be the first na direct injection truck engines, correct? Unless ford has added it for their v8, they had the feature in mind with the scorpion? engine if i recall correctly.
I'm sure the ecm protocol will get cracked, just a matter of time with the right people involved.
raynorshine
Expert
Expert

Post by raynorshine »

dezza wrote:The heads are nice looking
yes! 12.5 degree intake valve? :shock: where would they come up with that?

2.15" intakes? small chambers? not sure what the runner volume is? wonder what they flow?
Use it up
Wear it out
Eat it all!

-the greatest..."Dale Armstrong"
JohnnyB
Pro
Pro

Post by JohnnyB »

Sure,.... as long as you only drive it "down hill", then tow it back up the other side, then start all over again. :idea:
If life was easy I would be bored. My EX-Wife has assured me I will never be bored.
Lem Evans
Expert
Expert

Post by Lem Evans »

Rizzle wrote:Its nice to see some info about the next Gen v8 from GM. I'm waiting to see how the truck engines do in terms of displacement and compression. These would be the first na direct injection truck engines, correct? Unless ford has added it for their v8, they had the feature in mind with the scorpion? engine if i recall correctly.
I'm sure the ecm protocol will get cracked, just a matter of time with the right people involved.
The V6 Ford engine very much does have D.I. in the F150.
B F Evans Ford Race Parts
270-278-2376
1989TransAm
Guru
Guru

Post by 1989TransAm »

"If you live in a swing state be sure to get out and vote, so that there is at least some chance that those regulations will get canceled"

I agree with your assessment.
In-Tech
Vendor

Post by In-Tech »

Orr89rocz wrote:May be good days but good luck aftermarket modding the new cars

The ECM uses a "public key encryption"/ Stateful connection to prevent tampering from gear heads. To better understand why it will be nearly impossible to crack. The ECM uses (TLS) transport layer protocol allows the ECM and fuel table applications to communicate across a data network via the internet back to GM in a way designed to prevent listening and tampering. This is for your protection and safety. The public key encryption on this ECM requires 2 keys. One to access the servers here at GM and once the integrity is validate then a second key encryption is provide to the ECM within the vehicle to allow diagnostics & restore of the fuel tables & fuel event system. Many of you will have questions about (YOUR PROTECTION). I will get in front of the ball and explain.

The ECM controls the exact point in time the fuel control solenoids closes. What this means you need a very fast computer to control the High Pressure Fuel solenoid cycles which is contained on the high pressure cam driven pump itself. (This ECM is basically a small PC with applications)

The ECM needs the crankshaft and cam position, fuel pressure sensor value to be
able to actuate/control the high pressure pump solenoid. This is dealing with the volume of fuel and all pressure at the same time. If the solenoid would remain closed at all time it would supply 2,175 psi all the time, which would cause all kinds of risk with the injection event. Resulting in total loss of the engine/vehicle.

The fuel system consist of low pressure side (pump in fuel tank) and High Pressure Fuel Pump (camshaft driven by lobe). The High Pressure Solenoid on the pump has zero errors. The ECM monitors the High Pressure Solenoid On/Off signaling duty cycles in real time as an added measure of security (VOLTS & AMPS). Thus this is the learning curve, reason for this is to actuate the fuel pressure control solenoid at a specific camshaft degree value of rotation learned. Self contained ECM system the system will lock if tampered the solenoid will remain open, fuel is then returned back to the fuel inlet and no pressure or volume will be seen. For your safety the engine will not start.
It sounds like you are saying it will be uncrackable? :lol: :lol: Dynamic code is nothing new and it does not scare me :mrgreen:

And two keys???? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: I'll hide my code inside their code and my code hides itself while their code searches for changes. :wink:
Heat is energy, energy is horsepower...but you gotta control the heat.
-Carl
SchmidtMotorWorks
Vendor

I'll hide my code inside their code and my code hides itself while their code searches for changes.
That's clever.

What changes does their code look for? Mirror compare, byte count?
In-Tech
Vendor

Post by In-Tech »

SchmidtMotorWorks wrote:
I'll hide my code inside their code and my code hides itself while their code searches for changes.
That's clever.

What changes does their code look for? Mirror compare, byte count?
I haven't seen their new stuff, I'll have to datalog the can line to see what they are doing when the time comes. If all they do is a checksum compare, that's easy but I bet they will be more clever than that. They will probably do a compare and overwrite. Once you breakdown the 8,16,32 bit opcodes you scan their packets before execution(usually sitting in a buffer in ram) looking for the opcodes that will allow a compare function to follow. Where ever you place your code you make an exact duplicate of their code elsewhere, then when they have a compare function looking at an address you then change their packet to look where you placed the unmodified code. It's more complicated than this but that's the simplest way I can say it. If interested I will post a code patch showing how it's done in 8 bit in assembly.

This could get fun, I've been looking for a challenge :mrgreen:
Heat is energy, energy is horsepower...but you gotta control the heat.
-Carl