General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Rizzle
Expert
Expert

Re: Gen V SBC

Post by Rizzle »

Lem Evans wrote:
Rizzle wrote:Its nice to see some info about the next Gen v8 from GM. I'm waiting to see how the truck engines do in terms of displacement and compression. These would be the first na direct injection truck engines, correct? Unless ford has added it for their v8, they had the feature in mind with the scorpion? engine if i recall correctly.
I'm sure the ecm protocol will get cracked, just a matter of time with the right people involved.
The V6 Ford engine very much does have D.I. in the F150.
Very much know that :wink: Hence I worded it v8 NA. I doubt they would have put it in (the v6 I mean) otherwise. However, thats a 1/2 tonne engine, and no more. Since the gen V is not going into trucks until what, 2014? Fords v8 engine might beat them to the punch DI wise, I recall reading that there were locations for the injectors in they cylinder heads but ATM not utilized. So ford is holding back for reasons unknown. My point being I'm interested in what the comp and displacement specs will be for the 3/4 - 1 tonne gas engines rated for some real work with DI. I'm impressed with how much di + vvt can widen the powerband on gm's 4cyl, towards the bottom, easily taking the job of previous v6's. Looking forward to see this tech in a v8. With some low gearing, some aero improvements, Mid 30's might be possible for the next gen trucks.
Currently a major fan of all this tech we are seeing to keep power levels high, while lowering fuel consumption. Seems like with a lot of things, we've found a nice spot in terms of performance and now to quest to lower fuel/power/space consumption is taking over.
Yeroon

Edit: maybe the v8 wasn't so clear (ie missing :oops: ), my bad.
avengerengines
Expert
Expert

Post by avengerengines »

In-Tech wrote:
SchmidtMotorWorks wrote:
I'll hide my code inside their code and my code hides itself while their code searches for changes.
That's clever.

What changes does their code look for? Mirror compare, byte count?
I haven't seen their new stuff, I'll have to datalog the can line to see what they are doing when the time comes. If all they do is a checksum compare, that's easy but I bet they will be more clever than that. They will probably do a compare and overwrite. Once you breakdown the 8,16,32 bit opcodes you scan their packets before execution(usually sitting in a buffer in ram) looking for the opcodes that will allow a compare function to follow. Where ever you place your code you make an exact duplicate of their code elsewhere, then when they have a compare function looking at an address you then change their packet to look where you placed the unmodified code. It's more complicated than this but that's the simplest way I can say it. If interested I will post a code patch showing how it's done in 8 bit in assembly.

This could get fun, I've been looking for a challenge :mrgreen:
I have no idea what you just said, but it sounds cool. :lol:
In-Tech
Vendor

Post by In-Tech »

They have the ability to make it very very hard on the aftermarket. I haven't seen them utilize anything very tough in the past. It will never be fully dynamic code and I doubt they will do anything really clever such as morphing the code, so there is always hope, time will tell. :)
Heat is energy, energy is horsepower...but you gotta control the heat.
-Carl
Runit
Pro
Pro

Post by Runit »

A friend bought a new Corvette ('08?) with an 430hp LS3. He loved it until it started stalling randomly. He took it back to 2 dealers under warantee. The last time, GM installed an ECU capture device to record what was going on when it stalled. All they were able to come up with is loss of fuel pressure so they dropped the tank and replaced the pump. The car continued to stall . My budy traded the car in with the dealer that fixed it and thankfully it didn't stall during their test drive. His '11 Grand Sport doesn't stall. Hope GM does better with the new engine and anti tampering ECU!!!!!!
Big Rat Attack

Post by Big Rat Attack »

Its extremely comical how long it has took for direct injection to show up in USA car and pickup truck gas engines.
ItalianJohnny
Pro
Pro

Post by ItalianJohnny »

Orr89rocz wrote:May be good days but good luck aftermarket modding the new cars

The ECM uses a "public key encryption"/ Stateful connection to prevent tampering from gear heads. To better understand why it will be nearly impossible to crack. The ECM uses (TLS) transport layer protocol allows the ECM and fuel table applications to communicate across a data network via the internet back to GM in a way designed to prevent listening and tampering. This is for your protection and safety. The public key encryption on this ECM requires 2 keys. One to access the servers here at GM and once the integrity is validate then a second key encryption is provide to the ECM within the vehicle to allow diagnostics & restore of the fuel tables & fuel event system. Many of you will have questions about (YOUR PROTECTION). I will get in front of the ball and explain.

The ECM controls the exact point in time the fuel control solenoids closes. What this means you need a very fast computer to control the High Pressure Fuel solenoid cycles which is contained on the high pressure cam driven pump itself. (This ECM is basically a small PC with applications)

The ECM needs the crankshaft and cam position, fuel pressure sensor value to be
able to actuate/control the high pressure pump solenoid. This is dealing with the volume of fuel and all pressure at the same time. If the solenoid would remain closed at all time it would supply 2,175 psi all the time, which would cause all kinds of risk with the injection event. Resulting in total loss of the engine/vehicle.

The fuel system consist of low pressure side (pump in fuel tank) and High Pressure Fuel Pump (camshaft driven by lobe). The High Pressure Solenoid on the pump has zero errors. The ECM monitors the High Pressure Solenoid On/Off signaling duty cycles in real time as an added measure of security (VOLTS & AMPS). Thus this is the learning curve, reason for this is to actuate the fuel pressure control solenoid at a specific camshaft degree value of rotation learned. Self contained ECM system the system will lock if tampered the solenoid will remain open, fuel is then returned back to the fuel inlet and no pressure or volume will be seen. For your safety the engine will not start.
Who pays the Data plan to get the Data to the GM Servers? I am assuming cellular data Streaming
dirtracr5
Guru
Guru

Post by dirtracr5 »

ItalianJohnny wrote:

The ECM uses a "public key encryption"/ Stateful connection to prevent tampering from gear heads. To better understand why it will be nearly impossible to crack. The ECM uses (TLS) transport layer protocol allows the ECM and fuel table applications to communicate across a data network via the internet back to GM in a way designed to prevent listening and tampering. This is for your protection and safety. The public key encryption on this ECM requires 2 keys. One to access the servers here at GM and once the integrity is validate then a second key encryption is provide to the ECM within the vehicle to allow diagnostics & restore of the fuel tables & fuel event system. Many of you will have questions about (YOUR PROTECTION). I will get in front of the ball and explain.

The ECM controls the exact point in time the fuel control solenoids closes. What this means you need a very fast computer to control the High Pressure Fuel solenoid cycles which is contained on the high pressure cam driven pump itself. (This ECM is basically a small PC with applications)

able to actuate/control the high pressure pump solenoid. This is dealing with the volume of fuel and all pressure at the same time. If the solenoid would remain closed at all time it would supply 2,175 psi all the time, which would cause all kinds of risk with the injection event. Resulting in total loss of the engine/vehicle.

The fuel system consist of low pressure side (pump in fuel tank) and High Pressure Fuel Pump (camshaft driven by lobe). The High Pressure Solenoid on the pump has zero errors. The ECM monitors the High Pressure Solenoid On/Off signaling duty cycles in real time as an added measure of security (VOLTS & AMPS). Thus this is the learning curve, reason for this is to actuate the fuel pressure control solenoid at a specific camshaft degree value of rotation learned. Self contained ECM system the system will lock if tampered the solenoid will remain open, fuel is then returned back to the fuel inlet and no pressure or volume will be seen. For your safety the engine will not start.
Who pays the Data plan to get the Data to the GM Servers? I am assuming cellular data Streaming
onstar
BrazilianZ28Camaro
Guru
Guru

Post by BrazilianZ28Camaro »

A good way to reduce future fuel consumption would be make the carbon fiber cheaper to produce.

A 2800 lbs truck would MPG well with a modern V8, wouldn't it?

Regarding craking the ECM codes and all, I'll stay with my old four barrel and a dizzy, ok. :mrgreen:
'71 Z28 street strip car
Pump gas All motor SBC 427
3308 lbs-29x10.5 Hoosiers
NEW BEST ET
1.38 60' / 4.05 330' / 6.32@111.25mph

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99p13UK ... ture=share
ItalianJohnny
Pro
Pro

Post by ItalianJohnny »

dirtracr5 wrote:
ItalianJohnny wrote:

onstar
Doesn't the owner have the choice of not renewing the onstar service after 1 year?

What if you don't want onstar after the 1st year? do they just make you pay the onstar fee for the life of the vehicle... What if you miss a payment or 2, does the Car quit running ?
dirtracr5
Guru
Guru

Post by dirtracr5 »

ItalianJohnny wrote:Doesn't the owner have the choice of not renewing the onstar service after 1 year?

What if you don't want onstar after the 1st year? do they just make you pay the onstar fee for the life of the vehicle... What if you miss a payment or 2, does the Car quit running ?
onstar is always active. as an owner you have an option to pay for a service that onstar provides. just because you dont pay for it doesnt mean that onstar cant communicate vital vehicle data to gm. as long as its on the data line and has cell communication it can relay info to gm. next time your in a gm vehicle with no onstar contract hit the onstar button and see if it instantly sends you to an onstar rep or not.

ps: onstar doesnt make the car run. but if the module is unhooked from the high speed lan line then yes the vehicle will not start.
Ron E
Guru
Guru

Post by Ron E »

Big Rat Attack wrote:Its extremely comical how long it has took for direct injection to show up in USA car and pickup truck gas engines.
The newer "ecotech 2.2L 4cyl GM engines are DI. They are fine but don't seem head and shoulders above comparable conventional injection engines in output or emissions. What suggests DI will be a big help? Not arguing, I just don't know.
dirtracr5
Guru
Guru

Post by dirtracr5 »

according to gm, when the 3.6 dohc engine was converted to direct injection in 2008 it resulted in a gain of 15% hp 8% tq and an increase in fuel economy of 3%
Lem Evans
Expert
Expert

Post by Lem Evans »

"Edit: maybe the v8 wasn't so clear (ie missing ), my bad."

Thanks.
B F Evans Ford Race Parts
270-278-2376