what do you guys think of this? Part II

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Windsor377
Expert
Expert

Post by Windsor377 »

SWR wrote:
Windsor377 wrote:Has anyone tried the grove in a blown gas application?
Been there done that... not dynoed it yet though,but running on the streets it has lower exhaust temps than last year...by a considerable margin.
Interesting. What kind of piston to head distance do you run on the squish area? Do you mind mentioning the cylinder head type and amount of boost?

Thanks.
Windsor377
Expert
Expert

Post by Windsor377 »

automotive breath wrote:Here's a picture of the Brodix heads I mentioned. With tall domes I put the groove between the valves to assure the squish flow makes the trip over the dome. I thought about adding feeder grooves into the main groove but decided not to mutilate Lobe's prize possession.

Have you noticed differences between deeper chambers vs shallow chambers?...how about "convex" design vs "non convex"?
stevek
Pro
Pro
Post by stevek »

I'd love to know how this would work out with a turboed setup.
The exhaust temps are lower but the pressure differential should theoretically be higher considering the 'more complete' burn and detonation is occuring a lot later than normal...there's got to be some fun to be had there somewhere
automotive breath
Guru
Guru
Post by automotive breath »

stevek wrote:I'd love to know how this would work out with a turboed setup....
I ported and grooved a set of LSx heads for a twin turbo 10.5 heads up car a few months back. They were for a 6.0L Iron block in a Nova body. I haven’t heard from the owner lately, I'll give him a call and try to get some details.
SWR
Guru
Guru

Post by SWR »

Windsor377 wrote:Interesting. What kind of piston to head distance do you run on the squish area? Do you mind mentioning the cylinder head type and amount of boost?
0.0374" in the little squish area that is there...the pistons are dished,just like the ones Automotive Breath had a photo of. It's just a 0.3 or so wide squish band. Heads are 4-valve Mitsubishi 3000 GT (looks identical to a Ford 4.6 (?) I think...saw a photo of that head once and it has the same OHC roller-rocker layout and shape of the chamber and all)...only difference was that it had 4 chambers VS. the Mitsu's 3,it being a V6. It's a GT42R single turbo'ed car. We ran about 34 psi on pump last week,AFR's still a bit rich and the EGT's are so low it's silly....
-Bjørn

"Impossible? Nah...just needs more development time"
Ron E
Guru
Guru

Post by Ron E »

automotive breath wrote:
I ported and grooved a set of LSx heads for a twin turbo 10.5 heads up car a few months back. They were for a 6.0L Iron block in a Nova body. I haven’t heard from the owner lately, I'll give him a call and try to get some details.

That usually means things are good.
Windsor377
Expert
Expert

Post by Windsor377 »

SWR wrote:
Windsor377 wrote:Interesting. What kind of piston to head distance do you run on the squish area? Do you mind mentioning the cylinder head type and amount of boost?
0.0374" in the little squish area that is there...the pistons are dished,just like the ones Automotive Breath had a photo of. It's just a 0.3 or so wide squish band. Heads are 4-valve Mitsubishi 3000 GT (looks identical to a Ford 4.6 (?) I think...saw a photo of that head once and it has the same OHC roller-rocker layout and shape of the chamber and all)...only difference was that it had 4 chambers VS. the Mitsu's 3,it being a V6. It's a GT42R single turbo'ed car. We ran about 34 psi on pump last week,AFR's still a bit rich and the EGT's are so low it's silly....
Cool. Thanks. Do you mind posting some dyno info if you get a chance to dyno it?
Windsor377
Expert
Expert

Post by Windsor377 »

Ron E wrote:
automotive breath wrote:

That usually means things are good.
YEP !
SWR
Guru
Guru

Post by SWR »

Windsor377 wrote: Cool. Thanks. Do you mind posting some dyno info if you get a chance to dyno it?
Sure,as long as the owner of the car agrees to me posting it. I guess we'll slam a few DynaPack units on it and get the AFR's right and find out where the detonation threshold now lurks...it was audible at just under 32 psi before.
-Bjørn

"Impossible? Nah...just needs more development time"
Windsor377
Expert
Expert

Post by Windsor377 »

SWR wrote:
Windsor377 wrote: Cool. Thanks. Do you mind posting some dyno info if you get a chance to dyno it?
Sure,as long as the owner of the car agrees to me posting it. I guess we'll slam a few DynaPack units on it and get the AFR's right and find out where the detonation threshold now lurks...it was audible at just under 32 psi before.
Well, I don't want you to compromise anything. If you can, I'll appreciate it, if not, I'll understand.

I'm in the early stages of as blown R/S - UDR combination and this just might be very helpful.

Thank you and to everyone else, as well.
randydupree

head groves

Post by randydupree »

i've been watching and reading this thread for months now.
maybe 20 years ago i saw a set of max wedge dodge heads that had groves in them,5 groves,in a sun burst pattern.these heads were at a local race shop and i have no history on them. the groves were wider than what i see you guys doing,and maybe not as deep.
randy
landspeed racer
kdrolt

Post by kdrolt »

The following certainly isn't a hipo engine application, but relevant just the same:

http://www.herningg.com/projects/groovyheads.html
automotive breath
Guru
Guru

kdrolt wrote:The following certainly isn't a hipo engine application, but relevant just the same:

http://www.herningg.com/projects/groovyheads.html
Here's another young lad claiming to run 11:1 compression on 87 octane, shooting for 50 MPG

http://jeremiahsviolins.com/grooves.htm
automotive breath
Guru
Guru

Here’s some pictures from Bart Jr.s Nova, he made a final round appearance at the 2006 Sports Nationals at No Problem Raceway. Piston and head pictures are after plenty of run time. The incredible part of this story is the car is no E!

Unkl Ian
Guru
Guru

Post by Unkl Ian »

Would the same size groove in the piston dome,
instead of the head,give the same effect ? :idea:

Harder to swap pistons,but less expensive.

Just thinking out loud.
Please help make Speedtalk a Troll free zone.