Comp Ratio over 15:1 on ProStock - Darrin or Anyone ?

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

shawn
Expert
Expert

Post by shawn »

what a great looking bench!! I'm in the process of building another one for myself also and it looks like we are trying to accomplish the same things.I have a bunch of questions for you, if you don't mind. I can send them in an email, if you prefer. The first one would be, is that the "non-existent" super raised runner pro-topline head sitting there?
thanks,

shawn
maxracesoftware
Vendor

Post by maxracesoftware »

Larry

A couple of pics of the bench as promised:-
====================================

Awesome looking FlowBench !!! :shock:

the best looking FlowBench i've seen !!

Thanks for the Pics !!!
MaxRace Software
PipeMax and ET_Analyst for DragRacers
https://www.maxracesoftwares.com
maxracesoftware
Vendor

bill jones wrote:-Larry,,, do you have an explanation for what happens when you are doing this sonic AIR testing and you introduce a vaporized spray of liquid into the that air that is flowing thru the nozzles?
i'm not doing any sonic air testing

all i'm doing is using a Pitot Velocity Probe ("J"-Style or 180 deg)
to probe the Intake Ports and Intake manifold
as well as using another long 90 degree bend to Probe exhaust ports

the Intake Port is not Sonic while testing on a FlowBench
but by using the Pitot Velocity Probe (180), you can get a very accurate idea of any part of the Port that will go into what is termed "Sonic Choke" or approx .55 or PerCent of the Speed of Sound at the 1116 FPS referrence point when the Engine is actually running on the Dyno or DragStrip
MaxRace Software
ozrace

Post by ozrace »

shawn wrote:what a great looking bench!! I'm in the process of building another one for myself also and it looks like we are trying to accomplish the same things.I have a bunch of questions for you, if you don't mind. I can send them in an email, if you prefer. The first one would be, is that the "non-existent" super raised runner pro-topline head sitting there?
thanks,

shawn

Shawn
Thanks for the compliment - building the bench has been a long process. It's at a stage where I am able to start flow testing "manually" now with manometers, but it will soon be computerised.
You can email me with questions if you like.
The head on the bench is a Pro Topline 12 degree - I'm amazed you could pick that up from the photo.
speedtalk
Site Admin
Site Admin
Post by speedtalk »

maxracesoftware wrote:Awesome looking FlowBench !!!
I'll third that.
In Memory of Don Terrill
SpeedTalk Owner/Admin
Darin Morgan

Post by Darin Morgan »

speedtalk wrote:
maxracesoftware wrote:Awesome looking FlowBench !!!
I'll third that.
Ill Forth that! :lol:
shawn
Expert
Expert

Post by shawn »

hey darin,
I see that you use a standard superflow bench. I realize that switching to something else would probably cause more problems than help, (with readings being different), but if you were starting from scratch again, what type of bench would you utilize?One with a sharp edge metering system again? Or maybe a laminar flow element or pitot/annubar type system? Just curious.
thanks,
shawn
ozrace

Post by ozrace »

Thanks to everyone for your kind words on the bench.

I guess at the end of the day it doesn't matter what kind of bench or measurement system you use.
What you need is a bench that will test as quickly and easily as possible, so you can spend more time on development, and less time checking your results.

For me that means that I want:
Instant switching from Intake to Exhaust mode.
Automatic depression control.
Ability to take readings in cfm without a lot of long hand corrections, etc.
Measure swirl at the same time as flow.
Port mapping to go.

And don't forget:
A flow stand that's quick to bolt to and seal.
Easy to change bore sizes.
Easy to use valve opening fixture.
Easy to move between cylinders on the bench.

Anyone got any more ? :?:

Darin Morgan

Flow Benches

Post by Darin Morgan »

shawn wrote:hey darin,
I see that you use a standard superflow bench. I realize that switching to something else would probably cause more problems than help, (with readings being different), but if you were starting from scratch again, what type of bench would you utilize?One with a sharp edge metering system again? Or maybe a laminar flow element or pitot/annubar type system? Just curious.
thanks,
shawn
I need a bench that can pull about 80+ inches and capable of flowing heads over 1500 CFM. To answer your question, I dont know what bench I would go with right now.
maxracesoftware
Vendor

ozrace wrote: For me that means that I want:
Instant switching from Intake to Exhaust mode.
Automatic depression control.
Ability to take readings in cfm without a lot of long hand corrections, etc.
Measure swirl at the same time as flow.
Port mapping to go.

And don't forget:
A flow stand that's quick to bolt to and seal.
Easy to change bore sizes.
Easy to use valve opening fixture.
Easy to move between cylinders on the bench.

Anyone got any more ? :?:

1-"100.0% PerCent Repeatability" in Flow Tests...being able to FlowTest a Head...then remove the Head off the FlowBench then bolt it back on the FlowBench and get the same Flow Numbers thru out the Lift Curve time after time

2- being able to accurately/repeatably "Position" the Cylinder Head exactly in the correct location as to Flow Fixture Bore diameter , as would be the case when bolted back on the Engine Block

3-"Sensitivity" to small Flow gains/losses ,...make a bunch of small "real" Flow gains,..at the end of the Day..you have a noticeable gain that will show up at the DragStrip/Dyno
MaxRace Software
Speedy Goomba

Post by Speedy Goomba »

Darin,

Would their be any insight gained by wet flow testing the entire induction system from the carb?

Or does this confuse things in comparison to testing individual components?

Do you travel with the pro stock team?
Darin Morgan

Post by Darin Morgan »

Speedy Goomba wrote:Darin,

Would their be any insight gained by wet flow testing the entire induction system from the carb?

Or does this confuse things in comparison to testing individual components?

Do you travel with the pro stock team?

We test from the plenum to the chamber. The runner can effect the wet flow characteristics pretty profoundly so yes, you should flow the whole set up. I do not travel with the team. My brother and I stay at the shop and work on engines. I do go the Texas race because its in my back yard.
Speedy Goomba

Post by Speedy Goomba »

thanks! i made a new posts, with a few questions, if you have time to answer them.
SBC/guest

Comp/VE

Post by SBC/guest »

What relation does chamber CC being, in theory, completely excavated and refreshed but not being swept volume-- have to VE and comp ratio?

Thanks
GC
358T
Pro
Pro

Post by 358T »

Darin,

Going back to the original question regarding CR and you response of the VE.

I may be showing my ignorance here but here goes. I understand that todays technology of heads and cams give better cylinder filling and therfore higher running cylinder pressures. But, why does that restrict the PS engines to 15:1CR. If the static CR was 18:1 or more the cylinder pressures would be even higher. Doesn't the higher pressures create more HP/TQ if the fuel does not detonate?? Or, does the losses associated with pumping, and the fuel restict the engine from making more power. Is reliability a concern? Don't blown and turbored engines run at much higher pressures?

Thanks,
Scott