Cylinder Head Epoxy

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Mark Ballance

epoxy pc-7

Post by Mark Ballance »

I have had good luck with PC-7 AB epoxy. I have a set of heads that have had the epoxy in it for 8-9 years with no problems. Anybody else tried it. Gregg Davis (Intake Manifold builder)turn me on to it about 10 yaers ago.

Mark
crazycuda
Expert
Expert

Post by crazycuda »

I tried a test with the goodson brand a+b epoxy a fiew days ago. I put some on the floor of 2 intake ports. Shaped it out, heated the head to help quicken the hardening process. Then let it sit overnight. On wed I put the head in my heated soak tank and forgot about it till this morning. Well the head came out clean as usual but the epoxy was still there hard as a rock. I tried pressure washing the head next and again the epoxy stayed strong.
Anyother tests anyone can think of.
Sorry if I ask alot of questions, but you never stop learning if you ask questions
talon
Pro
Pro

Post by talon »

good morning gents

Do you guys feel that the splash zone is OK to build-up a "wing" before and after the valve guide boss on a Intake port?

I have a port that indicates it wants this.

I was looking at a old winston west head a few weeks ago and this has a pink colored wing built up behind the boss. This head had to be maybe 8 years old at least - I dont know what kind of epoxy it was - but it is still there.

the spash zone is green - correct?

thanks in advance
Jim
Ron E
Guru
Guru

Post by Ron E »

talon wrote:good morning gents

Do you guys feel that the splash zone is OK to build-up a "wing" before and after the valve guide boss on a Intake port?

I have a port that indicates it wants this.

I was looking at a old winston west head a few weeks ago and this has a pink colored wing built up behind the boss. This head had to be maybe 8 years old at least - I dont know what kind of epoxy it was - but it is still there.

the spash zone is green - correct?

thanks in advance
Jim
I've done wings with splash-zone and the A-B stick types with no issues to date. The Goodson brand mentioned earlier appears to be repackaged spash-zone. Not positive, but it looks and smwlls and is colored exactly the same. I;ve seen that pinkish colored epoxy too. I don't have a clue what it is, other than it's good stuff.
PWMAX
Pro
Pro

Post by PWMAX »

Devcon epoxies work well also. If you do a search on google, for Devcon epoxy, their websight comes up. They have a whole bunch of different stuff. They have stuff specificaly formulated for various types of metal. Its pretty amazing some of the applications they use it in. For one, they use it underwater, between maintenance schedules, at nuclear power plants, to fix cracks in the reactor!! So, if it works there, it has to work on a cylinder head, lol. They also have porable stuff, that they use to re-build manufacturing machines, where extrememly heavy parts rub on each other, instead of taking the whole machine apart, to send it off to have it re-done, its a 24 hour job. Its pretty interesting. I was given some of the Devcon aluminumn and steel epoxies to try, and it seems pretty bullet proof.

Frank
Advanced Performance
www.get-ap.com
cboggs
Guru
Guru

Post by cboggs »

I've seen the Devcon epoxies come loose when exposed to fuel.

I always use the splash zone, .. . and it's great for making
those fins behind guides.

Curtis
Race Flow Development
Simultaneous 5-axis CNC Porting
http://www.raceflowdevelopment.com
tjs44
HotPass
HotPass

Post by tjs44 »

I have never used splashzone on heads but have used it for years on my boats.I keep a 5 gal bucket 1/2 full of water,I make a ball with the amount I think I will use and mix it in water untill I get the consistant color and then form where I want it.As long as your hands are wet it is easy to form.Tom
talon
Pro
Pro

Post by talon »

Thanks guys

I called around and found it in stock at cylinder head abrasives - $73 for 2 qts. - they are not making the 1 pint size anymore...darn.

Jim
Ed-vancedEngines

Post by Ed-vancedEngines »

Jim,
If you will phone to Reher Morrison and talk with Darin. I am very certain he will beat that price by a little. It is not a high profit margin item but they buy it in huge quanities.

Ed
talon
Pro
Pro

Post by talon »

Gooood morning sir

yeah ...I called Darins shop( I was trying to support board members).....they must have good prices :) - they were out of stock and on back order.

I will have the epoxy by Friday. I am going to Pomona Thursday to watch qualifying - so Friday was OK by me.

Again thanks
Jim
PackardV8
Guru
Guru

Post by PackardV8 »

The above-mentioned products behave any differently or better choice for iron heads?
Jack Vines
Studebaker-Packard V8 Limited
Obsolete Engineering
Ron E
Guru
Guru

Post by Ron E »

Jack, as far as I can tell, they work just as well with iron. I patched up one of those "oops" at the push-rod with no problems. I've also fixed one that made it's way into water. On that one I was able to get to both sides of the hole and clean boths sides and "rivet" the epoxy. I'm not confident on how just attempting to plug a hole into water may turn out.
ItsA68
Post by ItsA68 »

I hope this isn't a dumb question, but is it necessary or worthwhile to use this epoxy to fill in the bottom of the hole at the top of the port where the rocker studs go? I was surprised on my Brodix Track 1 heads that a couple of the the tapped rocker stud holes go all the way through into the port. Obviously, the studs need sealer, but is there any airflow impact if the bottoms of the holes aren't filled in? The top of the port would seem to have the highest velocity, and the hole would seem to interrupt the flow at a minimum...just doesn't seem to be the best it could be...

Thanks,

~~fred
timdog
Expert
Expert

Post by timdog »

I use belzona 1111. Not runny like JB and you can form it after 10 minutes by wetting your finger. Can be ground in around 3 hours after application. Not seen it come loose yet but don't use methanol.
Ed-vancedEngines

Post by Ed-vancedEngines »

I hope this isn't a dumb question, but is it necessary or worthwhile to use this epoxy to fill in the bottom of the hole at the top of the port where the rocker studs go? I was surprised on my Brodix Track 1 heads that a couple of the the tapped rocker stud holes go all the way through into the port. Obviously, the studs need sealer, but is there any airflow impact if the bottoms of the holes aren't filled in? The top of the port would seem to have the highest velocity, and the hole would seem to interrupt the flow at a minimum...just doesn't seem to be the best it could be...

Thanks,

~~fred
Fred,
It is not necessary to fill those in.
Most of your more serious BB Style heads will have them and it does not seem to be slowing down anyone.

You do want your rocker stud or rocker stand bolts to be threaded as deep as possible in the aluminum or the heli-coiled aluminum. It jsy so happens that the palcement needed for the rocker stud or stand bolt is above the intake ports in many instances.

Also exhaust port openings that get in the way of head hold down bolts or studs do not seem to have any negative effects either.

Hope this helps some.

Ed