Intake and exhaust flow ratio

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

c2xejk

Intake and exhaust flow ratio

Post by c2xejk »

I am trying to understand the balance between intake and exhaust flow...

The head I am looking at right now as a E/I flow ratio of 0.56 (stock.) Which based on some searching is very low... Now that I have ported the head, the ratio is 0.60. Better, but still low I think.

I have been wondering, how much improving exhaust flow will help overall performance? How much do you watch the ratio vs, just improving things... What is the "ideal" ratio?

If I were to just increase the size of the intake or exhaust valves, which would give me better results? ie. Is there a real benifit to going +1mm with the exhaust valve only?

Thanks
SStrokerAce
Guru
Guru

Post by SStrokerAce »

First off it depends on the application at hand. If it's a street motor then yes a higher E/I % will help since it will help with the cam selection and cutting down on exhaust duration to improve midrange and low end TQ. Most NA racing applications have relatively low E/I% ratios due to a lot of things. Mostly that the motors are intake limited so more intake valve will allow more cross sectional area thru the port and usually more gross CFM as well. The exhaust side of things on the other hand isin't always evaluated on more CFM flow the better, that doesn't always make the most power. The thing about these situations is that lots of modifications are acceptable and within the budget for the motor, mainly because they need to be competitive.

I'm guessing your setup is a small displacement motor? What are we looking at here? You are on the other side of the situation with a cylinder head with weak exhaust flow relative to what the majority of us work on with 2 valve american V8 heads, but the same principals apply.

Bret
[img]http://photos-g.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs139.snc1/5928_111214857139_110806152139_2127222_6826389_n.jpg[/img]
[i]Those of you who think you know it all are particularly annoying to those of us who do[/i]- Penske garage sign @ Indy circa '71
buddy rawls

Post by buddy rawls »

Dont get too wrapped up in the E/I relationships of a head (alone) being tested on a flow bench. It is meaningless unless the full inlet path and exhuast path is tested. Or at least the dominant path's cross-section. head and intake and carb, head and full length exhaust primary tube.

what I have found is that too low of E/I ratio and the valve events require too much and too early exhaust events, hurting the capability of the motor by limiting cylinder pressure. Sticking to the .7-.9 range provides a good/forgiving/tunable relationship. If the head (alone) is showing very low E/I, then it may be advantageous to restrict the inlet somewhat, to recover some of the relationship. Or do what you can to increase exhaust flow. But remember, it goes far beyond the 3" of exhaust port on the head. The overall path is what you need to be watching.

With muffled street motors it is not uncommon to achieve some very respectable power out of E/I ranges in the .60 (total system ratio), possibly even a tad lower. But you really have to play the game of dynamic compression versus valve events. The motor can reach a limit. With very low E/I, tuning is going to do best with very mild valve events and reasonably high intake flow capability versus the displaced cylinder volume. also static compression increases are helpful.

Lastly, sometimes what you have is what you have, and you deal with it and do the best you can.
Buddy Rawls
Cross Section Engineering
c2xejk

Post by c2xejk »

Some of the specifics of the application:

Street engine
Chrysler (Mitsubishi) 3L V6
2-valve/cyl
Intake-43mm
Exhaust-35mm
Will be used with a 5-sp manual transmission
MadBill
Guru
Guru

Post by MadBill »

The higher the compression ratio (or rather the expansion ratio), the more you can bias flow to the intake for power, since the rapid pressure drop means using an early exhaust valve opening to combat the lower exhaust flow rate costs little due to the low residual pressure.
Last edited by MadBill on Thu Jun 15, 2006 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.
Joe Mendelis

Post by Joe Mendelis »

SStrokerAce wrote:midrange and low end TQ.
BRET!! I told you only squirrels say "Low End Torque". You know it's true [-X
c2xejk

Post by c2xejk »

How does turbocharging effect what you want the ratio to be?
RT

Post by RT »

I wonder if it is the same head we have in this country for the Magna, which is a shockingly bad, the head looks like it was squashed flat and is probably 2.5 inches high(no SSR), the exhaust port is bigger than the exh valve and is bigger than the inlet port.

There was a big post about required exh flow for turbos, the jury is still out but it seams you don't need any more flow than for a N/A motor, maybe the higher end ie 80%
SStrokerAce
Guru
Guru

Post by SStrokerAce »

Joe Mendelis wrote:
SStrokerAce wrote:midrange and low end TQ.
BRET!! I told you only squirrels say "Low End Torque". You know it's true [-X
You know squirrel speak pretty well too! ;-)
[img]http://photos-g.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs139.snc1/5928_111214857139_110806152139_2127222_6826389_n.jpg[/img]
[i]Those of you who think you know it all are particularly annoying to those of us who do[/i]- Penske garage sign @ Indy circa '71
blown265
Pro
Pro

Post by blown265 »

Midrange and low end torque is sacrificed with 3/4 race cams. Just as well we mopar guys have purple shafts...... :wink:
shawn
Expert
Expert

Post by shawn »

Don't you get that from fiddling with 'em too much?
Shawn
Midrange and low end torque is sacrificed with 3/4 race cams. Just as well we mopar guys have purple shafts......
ClassKing
HotPass
HotPass

Post by ClassKing »

So...it's ok to say, "more torque at a lower rpm?"
8)
Function - the hidden math.
http://www.pontiacengines.com
Joe Mendelis

Post by Joe Mendelis »

ClassKing wrote:So...it's ok to say, "more torque at a lower rpm?"
8)
I like to say more power at a low rpm and more torque at high rpm. The squirrels get confused when you say that because they only look at torque at low rpm because the number is bigger. Then all the sudden above 5252 horsepower is the magic unit and torque isn't talked about as much
rfl28

Post by rfl28 »

"squirrel" beater !
stand on it!
MadBill
Guru
Guru

Post by MadBill »

Hmmm...
Looks like it's time to disable the automatic Topic Reply Notification function on this one. :roll:
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.