Bigger oil gallery

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

SWR
Guru
Guru

Bigger oil gallery

Post by SWR »

Anyone seeing any issues with machining the main oil gallery of a block bigger? I have an engine with some oiling problems to a specific rod and it's basically an oil volume problem,not pressure...so I'm thinking about increasing the volume available in the main gallery (it's just over 3/8" dia at the narrowest point,in the middle of the gallery) and probably port the junctions to increase volume flow. Issues? :)
-Bjørn

"Impossible? Nah...just needs more development time"
highVE
Expert
Expert

Post by highVE »

I know it was commen practice opening up the main oil galleys in a stock SB chevy block to .500" years ago. I've never done it, but i've seen it. And know there were no issues as far as problems.

Mike
Mike Theroux
www.mikesportingservice.net

There is never enough time!!
SWR
Guru
Guru

Post by SWR »

Thanks Mike :)

Do you know if the reason for doing so was to get rid of bearing issues due to oil volume being too low,like in my application? Why did they stop doing so (or is it still done on hi-perf engines)?
-Bjørn

C Stevens
Pro
Pro

Post by C Stevens »

Back "in the day", I used to open up all the passages in center oiler FE engines. The reasoning was to slow down the flow so the oil could make all the convoluted turns in that system. Seemed to work well...back then.
Some people can break a cannon ball, in a sand box, with their bare hands
tweaks

Post by tweaks »

What motor are you working on...suggest you look at machining out pump body / housing and fitting larger gears in pump to increase capacity of oil as well as opening up that critical area..
The price of racing will always exceed the money available.
SWR
Guru
Guru

Post by SWR »

tweaks wrote:What motor are you working on...suggest you look at machining out pump body / housing and fitting larger gears in pump to increase capacity of oil as well as opening up that critical area..
Porsche 944 Turbo... there's a pic at my "oil pump cavitation"-thread now. viewtopic.php?t=3170 ... Not much room to make anything bigger there...
-Bjørn