Sbc 350 build for drag racing

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

monzter
Re: Sbc 350 build for drag racing

Post by monzter »

Thank's for your answer Randy. The plan was to build a bigger engine down the road. But right now I just wan't to get this thing going again and if I'm able to run 10 sec et N/A i'll be one happy man !
Unfortunately i'we sold the smallest roller cam i had, but it was just a street roller built on cast core, so it probably wouldn't have lasted long with spring pressures north of 200 psi...
So now it's decided that the Crower camshaft is the one that i'm going to try out. With LSA at 105°shouldn't it make peak torque earlier and be even better if i would install it some degrees advanced ? should i still gear it for some rpm's at the traps ?
I see now that this Comp Cam would make it's peak power at some insane rpm's that don't suit my combo as it is now. Maybe it could work with some 5.57 gears and 7000 stall, But that's something i don't have in my car...

Thanks !
TMSJoe
Expert
Expert

Post by TMSJoe »

monzter wrote:So there's really no chance for me to get these big heads to work on my small cid engine... That's not good because it's really not an option to change them at the moment.. At least not this year.

Best regards.
It is against my religion to say "no you can't". Physics on the other hand has less faith in man kind. Look at your air speed with a 235cc head being pulled on by a 350 cu. in. engine. Then calculate the RPM it would take to get the air speed up to a level where things work. Then see how these numbers fit your car and game plan.
randy331
Guru
Guru

Post by randy331 »

monzter wrote: With LSA at 105°shouldn't it make peak torque earlier and be even better if i would install it some degrees advanced ?
The answer to the above question is right below.
monzter wrote: I have also bought a belt drive system i'm going to use.
There is no way to be certain you have the cam in the best position for you engine/stall/gear/car combo, without trying it in different positions. I've seen this go both ways. Check for clearance in an advanced and retarded position, and then run it in different positions to find low ET.
With a belt drive there is no reason not to test this.

Randy
SonnyJames

Post by SonnyJames »

I run a full filled 355 aluminum rodded 13.8-1 Brodixed trac 1 mild port custom "Strange" grind roller with a ported SuperVic. Hp Alky950, 6400 stall, 5:13 12bolt with 31" q-time pros under a 2920lbs ladder bar Vega with a glide. 9:90@ flat 134mph in good air, 10'os in summer heat 1.35 60's shift at 7350 crossing at 7900. PM me if u have any questions.
monzter

Post by monzter »

Thank's for all your help guys.. However I have one question ! how would these big heads respond to small shot of nos on such small engine ?
supergass
Pro
Pro

Post by supergass »

monzter wrote:Thank's for all your help guys.. However I have one question ! how would these big heads respond to small shot of nos on such small engine ?

It would respond very well.
wyrmrider
Guru
Guru

Post by wyrmrider »

I just read this thread
lots of good Ideas
My pick is to put the motor together with the Crower and play with the advance/ retard, keep good notes
then call Mike Jones
his inverse radius roller may be the answer
perhaps he could regrind the Comp Cam
I would not give up on the big heads without talking with Mike
I'm thinking you'll need deep gears and lots of RPM, maybe more converter
but do not make changes without testing what you have and getting a good baseline
monzter

Post by monzter »

Thank's for your advice sir. I think that's what I will do.
On the other hand, would either of these cams that I have do good with small nitrous (150 hp) ?

Thanks in advance !