Oil filter problem on L-79 327 small block chevy

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

rewguy
Expert
Expert
Oil filter problem on L-79 327 small block chevy

Post by rewguy »

For those of you who are familiar with the L-79 327 chevy engine, The oil filter boss portion of the block is very different from most other chevy small blocks. Maybe other earlier small blocks are similar to this, I'm not sure. The inside of the oil pump gasket "barely" seals against the block. There is a slight oil leak because of this. I am using an AC pf454 filter which is the filter it calls for. I need to find a filter with the same thread pitch and overall design, but has the gasket moved inboard about 1/4" all the way around. (as there is ample room inside to seal the gasket). Maybe my block is a little blemished on that edge as compared to others. I'm not certain why the inside of the gasket only seals against the block for maybe less than 1/32". Anyone ever had this issue or know of a filter that may work in replacing the pf454?
Alan Roehrich
Guru
Guru

Re: Oil filter problem on L-79 327 small block chevy

Post by Alan Roehrich »

rewguy wrote:For those of you who are familiar with the L-79 327 chevy engine, The oil filter boss portion of the block is very different from most other chevy small blocks. Maybe other earlier small blocks are similar to this, I'm not sure. The inside of the oil pump gasket "barely" seals against the block. There is a slight oil leak because of this. I am using an AC pf454 filter which is the filter it calls for. I need to find a filter with the same thread pitch and overall design, but has the gasket moved inboard about 1/4" all the way around. (as there is ample room inside to seal the gasket). Maybe my block is a little blemished on that edge as compared to others. I'm not certain why the inside of the gasket only seals against the block for maybe less than 1/32". Anyone ever had this issue or know of a filter that may work in replacing the pf454?
The PF35, PF1218, and PF2232 are similar in design, and will fit the same filter boss. I'd look at those. To me, the only AC Delco filter worth a damn for a Chevrolet V8 is the PF2232, the others have all seen serious quality problems. For about the same price, look at a K&N or a Wix.

Most 68 and earlier V8 blocks are actually made for a canister type oil filter with a replaceable element. If your block has been converted from the old style to the new style spin on filter, the problem may lie with the adapter. My old 66 Chevy II 327 had a canister type filter on it, that was the original block.
rewguy
Expert
Expert

Post by rewguy »

Thanks Alan! This guy rocks...........
FuelieNova
HotPass
HotPass

Post by FuelieNova »

I use the WIX on my Chevy II block w/o any problems.
Tom
novadude
Guru
Guru

Post by novadude »

To add to what Alan said...

The Chevy II block uses "normal" spin-on filters - these are the blocks with the raised filter pad. The other pre-68 blocks used a canister. There are aftermarket adapters for the early canister blocks that allow you to use a PH8A Ford style filter (NOTE: filter is an example of the correct one for the adapter, and the only Ford number I could remember off of the top of my head. I would NOT advocate using a Fram).
cv67
Guru
Guru

Post by cv67 »

WIX 57099
NAPA 7099

replace your pf454 (napa is a wix brand)
dwilliams
Guru
Guru

Post by dwilliams »

I *like* the canister filters. More area and easy to inspect. Granted most modern long tube headers make it impossible to get the thing on and off...