Abradable Powder Coating- Piston Skirts

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Geechee
Re: Abradable Powder Coating- Piston Skirts

Post by Geechee »

Most of the tech articles are archived at my parent company in Michigan. However, I tend to see a good many pistons first hand as I visit local shops here in my region during tear downs. I recently started coating pistons for a well known cart engine builder specializing in two strokes and so far great results due to high rpm stability! Should see parts from him within a couple of months so I look forward to following up on this topic. As far as any other combinations, the reduced second hand motion of reducing piston rock pays huge dividends in faster piston speed engines. Parts that were once throw away are recoated and used again!
MadBill
Guru
Guru

Post by MadBill »

I wouldn't be surprised to hear that some beneficial material transfer to the bores might be possible. At any rate, I think it should be a boon for ring life, if only due to reduced piston rock.
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.
David Vizard
Guru
Guru

Post by David Vizard »

groberts101 wrote:I know Madbill recently mentioned having this process done on one of his motors. Has anyone else around here used APC or have feedback about piston/bore analysis after engine teardown?
Yes and with positive results. Now testing on several engines. It has worked well on Top Fuel.
DV
David Vizard Small Group Performance Seminars - held about every 2 months. My shop or yours. Contact for seminar deails - davidvizardseminar@gmail.com for details.
DavidNJ

Post by DavidNJ »

I believe these are now offered from Wiseco and JE and are on some off-the-shelf pistons. https://blog.jepistons.com/a-look-at-je ... ting-types

GM uses it on LS9 supercharger rotors.https://www.adandp.media/articles/gms-l ... r-pressure

BW tried it on the EFR compressor housings. At the time of the EFR release, they said they had mixed results but may release it in the future. They didn't. There are apparently high temp abradables used in aircraft turbine hot sections to 1350C.