Jones Cam Design

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

MadBill
Guru
Guru

Re: Jones Cam Design

Post by MadBill »

We were pretty happy with the little 256° @ 0.050" SR Mike came up with for our 302" SBF road racer. Dynoed it two weeks ago at 530 WHP @ 8,000 RPM with 12:1 CR and 50-50 C110/Sunoco Ultra 94. With the previous solid flat tappet cam and 170 Vs. 185 cc Trick Flow heads it made 421 @ 7,400..
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.
Belgian1979
Guru
Guru

Post by Belgian1979 »

I got a cam from Mike in my new engine. Still will have to see it perform though. This was one that was designed for a IR system. Will start the engine and break in on a regular 4bbl 650 and Victor Jr though, because of ease of tuning and getting it to run vs the EFI of the IR system.
Will change over after break in though.

Still thinking of putting her on that old dyno (if I can get it pieced up) and doing all of that tuning on it.
AA Performance
Guru
Guru

Post by AA Performance »

Heaven forbid if I say something negative about "MIKE" [joking] but I would be interested in anyone who did JUST A CAM CHANGE ONLY with Mikes cam & the basic engine combo with the 2 cam specs. Just curious in seeing an A-B test with no other changes. Please don't mention if it is a new engine build as it wont be an A-B test. Thanks guys.
BlitzA64
Expert
Expert

Post by BlitzA64 »

Dynos, ABA testing and such the list may go on but certainly am happy with wins on the course, I'm not into racing Dynos. Could I have won with someone elses cam? I have in the past so sure but I was very happy with the customer service especially with a bit of an odd ball set up and the cam is very drivable with plenty of steam on the top. In fact it kept running through the rev limiter with our usual set up. There are plenty of good cam guys out there and you are free to choose whom you wish but I for one am very happy with Jones. I gave him all the correct information and came out with a nice product, garbage in = garbage out as they say. It is just nice to trust in good service and a quality product in the days of voicemail runarounds and chinese chit!
CamKing
Guru
Guru

Post by CamKing »

Sky rocket wrote:Just a balanced view, I bought a $500 jones cam to here in the UK, but unfortunely its sitting in a box in my garage because it got betten by a off the shelf girly crower cam by 100ftlbs tq with the same topend. #-o #-o
PM me the Invoice number, and I'll see if I can find one of my Euro-customers to buy it from you.
Mike Jones
Jones Cam Designs

Denver, NC
jonescams@bellsouth.net
http://www.jonescams.com
Jones Cam Designs' HotPass Vendors Forum: viewforum.php?f=44
(704)489-2449
Pavillion

Post by Pavillion »

CamKing wrote:
Sky rocket wrote:Just a balanced view, I bought a $500 jones cam to here in the UK, but unfortunely its sitting in a box in my garage because it got betten by a off the shelf girly crower cam by 100ftlbs tq with the same topend. #-o #-o
PM me the Invoice number, and I'll see if I can find one of my Euro-customers to buy it from you.
Great comeback 8)
CamKing
Guru
Guru

Post by CamKing »

Pavillion wrote:
CamKing wrote:
Great comeback 8)
Not a comeback. I just don't see the point in having a well made cam sit in a box. Every once in a while one of my customers in europe will need a cam right away, and can't wait the 2 weeks to grind, plus the shipping time from U.S.
If I've got the info on his cam, maybe I can find it a home, put some money in his pocket, and help out one of my customers in a crunch.
Mike Jones
Jones Cam Designs

Denver, NC
jonescams@bellsouth.net
(704)489-2449
avengerengines
Expert
Expert

Post by avengerengines »

Great comeback 8)[/quote]
Not a comeback. I just don't see the point in having a well made cam sit in a box. Every once in a while one of my customers in europe will need a cam right away, and can't wait the 2 weeks to grind, plus the shipping time from U.S.
If I've got the info on his cam, maybe I can find it a home, put some money in his pocket, and help out one of my customers in a crunch.[/quote]

Old man.......speak much wisdom....... :lol:
CamKing
Guru
Guru

Post by CamKing »

avengerengines wrote:Old man.......speak much wisdom....... :lol:
Who are you calling old ????
Mike Jones
Jones Cam Designs

Denver, NC
jonescams@bellsouth.net
(704)489-2449
af2
Guru
Guru

Post by af2 »

Pavillion wrote:
CamKing wrote:
Great comeback 8)
I would call it good business ethic.

What I said earlier about the flat bottom boat is a fact and is the best DYNO built.
GURU is only a name.
Adam
Ron E
Guru
Guru

Post by Ron E »

mmmitch588 wrote:Heaven forbid if I say something negative about "MIKE" [joking] but I would be interested in anyone who did JUST A CAM CHANGE ONLY with Mikes cam & the basic engine combo with the 2 cam specs. Just curious in seeing an A-B test with no other changes. Please don't mention if it is a new engine build as it wont be an A-B test. Thanks guys.
Early 90's bracket car 440 Mopar. Flat top Ross, stock forged crank/rods. Only 6400-ish RPM. Went from a comp flat tappet cam to one Mike suggested. Also flat tappet, the new one had .060" more lift and 19° less duration.(don't recall the LSA's) It was worth over a tenth. No other changes. Hope that helps
utmost

Post by utmost »

mmmitch588 wrote:Heaven forbid if I say something negative about "MIKE" [joking] but I would be interested in anyone who did JUST A CAM CHANGE ONLY with Mikes cam & the basic engine combo with the 2 cam specs. Just curious in seeing an A-B test with no other changes. Please don't mention if it is a new engine build as it wont be an A-B test. Thanks guys.
very good point, great guy, great looking product, great service. I too was wondering how they are doing out on the tracks before and after
BlitzA64
Expert
Expert

Post by BlitzA64 »

My cam made BAD AZZZZ power but went away as we couldn't find a cam core and had to regrind, not Mike's fault. Also due to regrind the spec was a tad different due to what we could fit on what we had. I found one new cam core for a new engine I am building, I plan on using Mike to grind it for me....
Prostreetbike

Post by Prostreetbike »

Hey MIke how about the difference in HP between your previous grinds and the new grinds that you have recently released ? Was the main goal to increase power under the curve and the max power is still about the same ?
Have you done some back to back dyno testing ?
Just curious, I seen the new Hydraulic roller profile shown on your website but not much info about what can be expected from the new line?
Thanks for your time
HDBD
Expert
Expert

Post by HDBD »

I wish he did Harley cams