602 GM Crate vs. Built Engine

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Brian W
Pro
Pro

Re: 602 GM Crate vs. Built Engine

Post by Brian W »

Back when I had my own car and raced in the IMCA hobby stock class, I had a 355 that made 275 peak HP on this same dyno with a set of slightly modified ex manifolds and a 2" to 3" stepped pipe. With a set of headers it made 325 peak HP. Everywhere I ran, at every track, I always thought my engine ran just as good or better then any other car on the track. I ran in several states, and at the end of the season was winning my home state points and 2nd in the nation. Right up until the last race where I refused a engine claim and lost all my points and quit racing IMCA... My engine was put together right, with the best parts I could afford at the time.
IMCADW

Post by IMCADW »

Where are you spending the other 5000 dollars on the claim engine? The engine does not care if it has an eagle or scat rod, je weisco or mahle piston. I woukd like to see what this engine makes with a custom matched camshaft.
Brian W
Pro
Pro

Post by Brian W »

My engine prices might be a little higher because when I build an engine it is complete ready to drop in. Meaning pulleys, WP, starter, Dis, PS pump..ect and add $600 for dyno time. The extra is pistons, $250 more. Crank $350 more. Cam/lifters $200 more. springs, ret, locks, $350 more.... ect. All new ARP fasteners... It all adds up. Even a lower budget engine is going to cost you alot more than $3000 total... that is if you have a professional shop build it and you buy new parts.
IMCADW

Post by IMCADW »

What 500 dollar crankshaft is legal? Understandable that the little things do add up but parts and machine work for what is legal do not top 4500 and that is going with top of the line valve train parts. I buy pistons at 410 grams with a metric ring pack for 565.
dirtracr5
Guru
Guru

Post by dirtracr5 »

IMCADW wrote: I buy pistons at 410 grams with a metric ring pack for 565.
the good stuff will cost you 1100-1200 with rings.
Brian W
Pro
Pro

Post by Brian W »

Cam King or any other cam guru's.... what cam would you have custom ground to put in this engine? The PRC 105 cam is a very popular budget cam for this class of racing, that is why we chose to run it in this engine. I'll tell you right now, I have never claimed to be a cam guru... I call comp, lunati, jones,...ect and tell them what I am doing and they grind the cam and send it to me!!
IMCADW

Post by IMCADW »

Don't think a set of pistons is going to be the factor that makes more power. That 600 you spent on pistons is better put elsewhere imo. Then again I know guys that overspend and then get upset when they are average at best.
Brian W
Pro
Pro

Post by Brian W »

IMCADW wrote:What 500 dollar crankshaft is legal? Understandable that the little things do add up but parts and machine work for what is legal do not top 4500 and that is going with top of the line valve train parts. I buy pistons at 410 grams with a metric ring pack for 565.
You must be running the 2bbl Mahle power pack piston? The good pistons are the JE superfly @ 312 grams and a 87 gram pin. They are not "legal" though they are lateral gas ported, as I believe the Mahles are as well. CP and Wiseco also have good piston choices for 2bbl engines. All will cost you $750- $1250 with rings.

The bobweight on my good engines is around 1480.

The crankshaft is custom made and will cost $1250+ weighs in the high 40's and appears legal. Not that I believe the crank makes that much difference, but spending the extra on the good one will last, and you will be able to use it if you jump up and race a different kind of car... that is why I use them, its actually cheaper in the long run, depending on what you intend to do.
IMCADW

Post by IMCADW »

No I do not run the Mahles. That crank would also be illegal, I ran gas ported pistons in 06 before they outlawed them.
Brian W
Pro
Pro

Post by Brian W »

Why is the crank illegal? It does not appear to be lightened, does not have holes through 2nd or 3rd rod throw. Does not have bullnose, aerowing, or any other external modifications. It is a forged crank and the rules don't say anything about that. Will pass, and has passed any tech inspection that matches IMCA rules. Even when they took the pan off and checked it at the super nationals last year.
IMCADW

Post by IMCADW »

Must be made of titanium. Which car was this crank in, Brian L in the 2?
MidgetMotorsports07

Post by MidgetMotorsports07 »

You guys are spending a lot of money on something that can be claimed for 550! Hobby stuff will run forever with a stock crank and cheap capscrew rods. I don't know a whole lot about a professional shop but I build them for fun on the side, and I promise you if someone handed me 8 grand they would have an A-Mod engine when they came to pick it up.
IMCADW

Post by IMCADW »

My last a mod engine made 625 horse and 560 ft lbs of torque, won 10 races against the 2010 and 2011 Supernationals champs, ran at 8200 rpm for 60 nights and cost me 7200 to build.
CamKing
Guru
Guru

Post by CamKing »

Brian W wrote:Cam King or any other cam guru's.... what cam would you have custom ground to put in this engine? The PRC 105 cam is a very popular budget cam for this class of racing, that is why we chose to run it in this engine. I'll tell you right now, I have never claimed to be a cam guru... I call comp, lunati, jones,...ect and tell them what I am doing and they grind the cam and send it to me!!
Somewhere in the 244 to 248 @.050" range, with .550" to .580" net lift. LSA would depend on the track
Mike Jones
Jones Cam Designs

Denver, NC
jonescams@bellsouth.net
http://www.jonescams.com
Jones Cam Designs' HotPass Vendors Forum: viewforum.php?f=44
(704)489-2449
Brian W
Pro
Pro

Post by Brian W »

IMCADW wrote:Must be made of titanium. Which car was this crank in, Brian L in the 2?
No it is steel, and does have some work done on it, you just can't see it...! LOL

And I do not give up the names of my customers. I will let them tell people if they want to.