Diamond Pistons

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

CNC BLOCKS
Guru
Guru

Re: Diamond Pistons

Post by CNC BLOCKS »

I see more Diamond pistons in my shops and so far no issues over the years and on custom sets a week and half turn around is not bad. I like their anodized coated pistons.
Website is up and running
http://hinksonautomotive-cncblocks.com/
Machine shop tour
http://hinksonautomotive-cncblocks.com/shop-tour/
Monthly Specials
http://hinksonautomotive-cncblocks.com/specials/
55MM babbit cam bearings with 1 hole
bolsa99

Post by bolsa99 »

To revive a older thread, I'm having the same issue with Diamond... this was my first attempt at ordering custom pistons from them at a customers request. I have faxed the build form, called several times, sent emails and I get zero response.... after several weeks I am now giving up on them as this kind of service is pathetic... I mean they couldn't even confirm they had received my fax.
engine101

Post by engine101 »

Just recently Diamond has lost some of their sales force.
One of the guys moved on to another piston company and another
guy was there last Friday and on Monday morning they told me he
didn't work there any more. Not sure what's happening there but
service is lacking, the product is still fine. :(
bolsa99

Post by bolsa99 »

I actually felt sorry for their secretary when I called one of the times, she sounded so lost trying to answer questions and transfer me to people. Oh well, when a company doesn't care about their customer service then why should I care about their product.
On the plus side, Racetech pistons gets a big thumbs up for customer service. It took them less than an hour to email me back with details, prices, options and time frames to my basic inquiry.... now that is showing respect for customers.
FLYIN FINN

Post by FLYIN FINN »

I never have had a problem with diamond and hope Nick is still there. JE gets me sometimes though.
fastvette
Expert
Expert

Post by fastvette »

Nick is not there anymore. Every time I get to know someone there they leave.
Sounds like thet are short on help. Hope they get things worked out or they are going to loose customers.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=itIITBanJDs
http://www.harshmanauto.com
gordonr

Post by gordonr »

I have run into the same problem. Placed my custom order in late Dec and as of today I still dont have complete order. I was dealing with Nick, then another rep who handled my complaint then later he was gone as well.
SLPRACINGENGINES
Pro
Pro

Post by SLPRACINGENGINES »

ive been a engine builder for 30 years..ive had problems with everyone..its not the piston companys..its the time of the year..i can tell you from christmas till the end of march..its a nightmare to get custom stuff..everyone is building this time of the year..they just get backed up from all the orders.
DCal
Expert
Expert

Post by DCal »

I agree With the December thru March thing, we see it every year. It's a catch 22 situation though for companies in our industry, If you see a two week spike in sales it doesn't warrant the purchase of another $400k machine. If however, that spike lasts two months then you've got act but it takes time to purchase, install and tool that new equipment and you usually don't see the benefit until the next season. Diamond has had great growth and they might be in the situation I just descibed
Strange Magic
Guru
Guru

Post by Strange Magic »

During the winter months or during the months of December, Januray, February, March and April, these companies are slamming and thats because there are not enough good quality ones to support the work load that comes in during this time. The expedites and expedite fees associated with the rush orders have pushed back the normal orders as well. Here is a tip on how you can make your order go faster. Here is information you should really know when ordering something custom. If you are missing some information, this might delay the process.

1.Bore size
2.Compression height
3. Pin length and width
3. spiro locks or wire locks
4. Piston to wall clearance (the manufacture will make that recommendation if you are not sure)
5.If a dish, the cc of negative displacement
6. If a dome, the positive cc's of displacement. (This process might need some time to work in engineering because this dome your asking for might not be feasable based upon the chamber design and valve relief depths you are asking for, and engineering will have to get back to you on what they can do and what they can't do). If the piston requires a dome and you have never done this design before, than try to be flexable in your approach and allow them to make you a "max dome". A max dome is about the most engineering can get for you with the parameters set forth for that application. Ask them to scale it back .010 from an exact copy. A chamber mold helps significantly and is suggested if it is a forien chamber design that you have not worked with in the past and is not on file with your pistons company of choice.
7. Valve relief depths both intake and exhaust.
8 Valve sizes both intake and exhaust.
9 Material you desire 2618 or 4032.
10 Ring sizes, and that means have a complete understanding in your thickness and radial wall depths for all three rings. Contact your ring manufacture for this information if your not sure.

If your an engine builder you should somewhat know how to do the stack (grooves, lands, pin) accordingly to determin weather it's a go or no go siuation on your design. The piston manufacture will help assit you with determining weather that top ring groove will interfere with the intake or even exhaust valve relief (not enough material there).

Come to the table with as much information as you can, and your orders will go through quicker as opposed to not. If you don't have this information, than there is a good chance that it could be on a waiting list for engineering to get to.

If you need assistance or this is unchartered teritory for you, get with a dealer/engine builder that you feel comfortable with. He can help you through the questions and get that order placed with these companies. In the worst case, it will be the same cost and your product will have less chance of issue. If you don't want to go trhough that dealer, your just going to have to be patient and understand that there is a great chance of it being kicked back whereas you have to start all over again.
strangemagicperformance.com
Strange Magic Camshaft Technologies
Decisions on parts and advise should not be based on how much money a company can pour into marketing. This is a common mis-conception in the industry.
Lem Evans
Expert
Expert

Post by Lem Evans »

Diamond is darn sure 10-12 days behind. Not that it makes me feel any better, but it is not as bad as I got from JE before I got off that train.

S. Magic does make several good points, but unless it's just a small change to the c.d./c.h. or bore of a known job number I'd doubt it'd escape "engineering".

This is not a case of engine builders delaying orders it's purely a case of the end user 'hiding-under-the-bed' untill after Christmas.
B F Evans Ford Race Parts
270-278-2376
bolsa99

Post by bolsa99 »

I understand this time of year is big, its one of the reasons I hate when customers delay bringing me their stuff. However, when Diamond can't even return a call or email to confirm they received the build slip you have to start questioning a company. That has nothing to do with time frames on custom pistons.... I guess I don't know any engine builder that can run their business like this and have customers just assume they are in line when the company has ZERO communication. I've been waiting 2 weeks just to get a call or email back on pistons that just required a C.D. and ring thickness change, personally I have never had a company do this to us. I will never recommend Diamond pistons to anyone, I don't care how good their pistons are.. too many companies are forgetting customer service and I would rather support ones that do.
machineman

Post by machineman »

Aside from being nearly impossible to get my rep on the phone, I have rarely had any problems with them. I just use e-mail and everything goes fairly smooth.
Chris
A.H.M. Performance
Baltimore, MD
engineguyBill
Guru
Guru

Post by engineguyBill »

There are two contacts at Diamond Pistons who will be able to help you with any issues or problems: Mike Panetta (Sales Manager) and JJ Zimmerman (sales associate).
Bill

Perfect Circle Doctor of Motors certification
SAE Member (30 years)
ASE Master Certified Engine Machinist (+ two otherASE Master Certifications)
AERA Certified Professional Engine Machinist