Re: What is the Max HP on a sealed GM 604

Post by dirtracr5 »

somebodys pants are on fire...lol :^o [-X
raceman14
Expert
Expert

Post by raceman14 »

We probably would have if you tended to any of the ARCA engines we were using, we might have crossed paths as I used to show up on a Tuesday or Wednesday and load a couple engines to take back to GA. Them white trailers used to park at my shop with a couple cars in them every now and then. I wanted to buy the one with the machine shop in it but like a duma$$, I bought 3 cars insteaad. We had a guy from the Carb area that dressed out the engines, I can't recall his name but he worked for Keith Dorton for a couple years...I'll call Jeff and get his name. Dustin / Damon / Darren working with us on the engine installs and run-in at the track.He mostly stood around eating our BBQ and Drinking our sweet tea as we were sponsored by Glenn @ Old Country Smokehouse in Anderson SC. ??? Just can't recall I remember he lived by the Church on Timberline and drove a white 2500GMC truck with a shell camper.

The Superflow dyno you guys got was the one that sat at my shop for about a week and then after Ray and Randy found out that I purchased the first one at the first Superflow ATEC we came to a good mutual agreement that benefitted both of us for many years to come. I was sitting at the same table as Neil & Mary from Superflow, Jim Feuling, Randy Dorton and Ray Evernham, Fritz Kayl and the dude that owns Arrow in MI - Bill Hancock I think???, he married a girl from GA that I knew. I knew them guys as some of them had Serdi's and I used to run Katech Engines in my ASA cars. HMS was Sunnen sponsored but their Skunk shop at Binghams had a couple Serdis. Anyway as soon as they announced I was getting the ChassisDYno I became the most popular guy in the room.
More is always better!!! Most of the time.
billet
Pro
Pro

Post by billet »

You know with how great he is at everything, you'd think Mark would have actually done something in ARCA with all the equipment that he made so much better then everyone else and obviously he can get more power then anyone else. So with superior equipment and HP, why didn't you ever finish worth a crap? I know the driver stunk, but with that equipment and power you should have had drivers lining up to get in such a quality ride [-X
raceman14
Expert
Expert

Post by raceman14 »

Warp,
Check you PM's, the dude that worked with us was named Devin.

Billet,
No excuses here, we should have won a couple. I think the fields back then in the late 90's was about 25 deep with really good cars. Now I think there are only about 10 cars to beat.

Out of about 35 races, I only had my driver in the cars maybe 5 times total as the rest of the times it was first time drivers getting their Super Speedway licenses. I guess we were fully funded for tires and rental crew for maybe 3 or 4. My best guys on tires could only show up for Charlotte and that was Robbie Watson and Slattery with The big dude on Gas, all 3 from BSR. The rest of the time my #1 House car was running with a 30second 2 tire stop bunch of good guys, but not fast.

I had 2 good chances with Kevin Belmont and a late caution at Charlotte bit us in the butt with about 15 laps left and we were the only car on the track in the top 20 that did not need fuel, I made the mistake telling Kevin over the radio and 2 laps later there was a Debris Caution. I learned a painful lesson that time. The next time we were at Daytona and I think we were running about 7th just waiting on Gerhardt to make a move and we got took out in a big crash with a couple cars 10 laps down. It took probably 5th-15th out of the race. We spent probably 5 different practices with Geerhardt that year and had a Hendrick car and house engine and we were about 1mph off Bobby but drafted with him some of the day.

We also had a good chance at Talladega with Dave Davis running up thru the pack with Jeremy Clements, we had both just took tires and fuel and were good to the end and was running 6th/7th about 3mph faster than the lead group. Jeremy killed his transmission shifting and we were on his bumper and spun up the front stretch for about a mile. Popped all 4 new tires and liners, killed the front valence but we put tires on it and Dave fought his way back up to 12th.

I should have done a couple things different but no regrets, just wish I could have found driver, sponsor, crew at the same time as I usually had 2 of 3 and never all at the same time.

When I was renting to folks there were less than 200 qualified and licensed Super Speedway drivers, including all of NASCAR. I worked pretty hard for 3-4 years to find someone to partner up with but it never did happen just right. I am betting the number is probably no more than 300 today so there is pretty slim pickens when it comes to finding a quality person, with enough smarts to drive a car at 200mph.

My program made a huge jump when Waddell Wilson started coming to the races with me. When he left AJ's I introduced him to Jerry Hemmingson as he was looking for a place to sprout some roots and I think he is still running outside sales there today. He was one of the sharpest dudes I ever met. He knew the whole race car including the engine. I guess he was worth an easy 1-2 seconds wherever we went.

The only money he ever took from me to help was the first day when he bet me $100 he could pick up my car at Talladega 1 second and it would only take him a minute to do it and a roll of 200mph tape. He put a couple pieces of tape on the car in some key places and damn if it did not pick up 1.2 sec. from that point on he was our "technical director eggstroirdonairre". It did not hurt that his posse included Bobby Watson, Jeff Hammonds, Tim ???, Rusty Wallace and just about anybody else he wanted to go get to tell us what we needed to know.

Not really part of the original question on 604HP but this is an information site and that might be some good information for somebody.

I can say that I tested my 15th, 16th and 17th custom set of 604 headers and all 3 went in the right direction for the first time. +3HP, +7HP and +11HP. Set #18 will incorporate all 3 ideas. If things work out OK we should see more improvements. The last 2 sets were designed for a Bloomquist Chassis 604 engine customer. This is over a header that is already a really good design I have just made plenty of changes that even the header builder thinks should not work but things are not always what they seem to be and air does not always do what you think it should, especially when it comes winding out of a Vortec head.
More is always better!!! Most of the time.