Oxygenated fuel 20+ Horse power?

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

rookie
Guru
Guru

Oxygenated fuel 20+ Horse power?

Post by rookie »

Has any here done any dyno testing with oxygenated fuel and if so what was your experience?

Here is the test that David Vizard and Terry Walters did for VP Fuels with DV’s 10:7.1 496 BB Chevy books front cover budget build street motor to see just what the difference is in the best combination (5 HP difference from one brand to the other) of non-oxygenated unleaded fuels versus VP’s oxygenated unleaded fuel. As you can see there are some details below the video of the engine, changes made for the swap from one fuel to the other.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0seJHZ5kBs
Has Anything You've Done Made Your Life Better?
brad_m
Pro
Pro

Re: Oxygenated fuel 20+ Horse power?

Post by brad_m »

428cu SBF that was around 750hp on pump fuel made an extra 20hp or so on ROO16 that was a pretty basic engine with only 10.5:10
Pretty sure it needed to go up 4 sizes, and the timing wasn't touched
Abbottracingheads
Expert
Expert

Post by Abbottracingheads »

On a 1140 hp 565 Q16 was worth 27 hp over C-15 Vp racing fuel. This was my own engine.
Abbott Racing Heads and Engines
harry k

Post by harry k »

SP1 TO Q16 is a good gain every time testem depending your aplication
someone who thinks logically is a nice contrast to the real world.
Old Grey

Post by Old Grey »

Does anyone notice the engine running hotter, that's what happened to us.
bigjoe1
Show Guest
Show Guest

Post by bigjoe1 »

On my pretty good full race small block, Q-16 was 31 HP better than C-14 plus (860 to 891 HP ) Engines runs cool in the car too, no problems== I went up four jet sizes too

JOE SHERMAN RACING
andyf
Guru
Guru

Post by andyf »

I've run dyno tests that lost power when switching to Q16. So I'd say that the results depend on the combination.
Andy F.
AR Engineering
rookie
Guru
Guru

Post by rookie »

andyf wrote:I've run dyno tests that lost power when switching to Q16. So I'd say that the results depend on the combination.
Can you give some details?
Baprace
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Baprace »

andyf wrote:I've run dyno tests that lost power when switching to Q16. So I'd say that the results depend on the combination.
That does not seem right, did you add the extra fuel that was needed ?
dieselgeek
Guru
Guru

Post by dieselgeek »

I have seen as much as 40hp on a 900hp N/A engine, to a slight power loss on a 700hp N/A engine. Both cases included adjusting fuel and timing to maximize power. It depends on your combo, I wouldn't switch to Oxygenated fuel unless I had data to back up the power gains.
Calibration Engineer
www.DIYAutotune.com
bigjoe1
Show Guest
Show Guest

Post by bigjoe1 »

I have guys call me that say they saw little or no gain in performance at the drag strip. It seems to me that the engine has to be a pretty serious player, especially high compression ( over 14 to one )or else the gains might be very small. My test mule is over 15 to one, and I built it for this Q-16 race gas exculsively I did get a good result with a SB Ford ( 438 ) that was making 783 HP=it picked up around 30 HP too.When guys try the Q-16 in their car and do not see a gain, other factors might be to blame

JOE SHERMAN RACING
Mike Croley

Post by Mike Croley »

Oxygenated race gas like Renegade K-16 , will always make more power in a normally aspirated engine than non - oxygenated gasoline . How much depends on the engine combo and the tune - up . Forced induction and nitrous applications are a very different thing , there you may not see much if any gain . And using oxygenated race gas in a nitrous application ( as the main fuel ) is risky .
The much higher price per gallon , the possible increase in power ( if any ) , and the health risks should all be considered .
Mike Croley
Florida Master Dist. for Renegade Racing Fuels/Methanol
386-341-4308
rookie
Guru
Guru

Post by rookie »

I agree u would want to verify that your getting gains with the oxygenated fuel, but Q16 only cost me $10.00 more per drum than C16 so cost is not a factor we are seeing carb metering and inlet temps issues limiting power but not compression or engine combos.

Also know who your buying it from I know of tracks and shops that don't move a lot so its not fresh, I know of one guy that has been selling out of the same drum for two seasons and some of these guys leave the drum open with the pump in it all weekend long....can't be good.
rookie
Guru
Guru

Post by rookie »

One thing i forgot regarding compression is a lower compression engine would use something like ms109 oxygenated unleaded as per DV's test or VP 113 oxygenated, Q16 would need higher compression as Joe stated.
1989TransAm
Guru
Guru

Post by 1989TransAm »

While we are on the subject are there any reports as to horsepower gain using MS109?