boss

Re: Just for interest's sake - Weslake SB Chevy 4-valve head

Post by boss »

good close up rocker pics from HAMB member that has 2 pairs of Weslakes

boss

Post by boss »

Ratu wrote:Fantasic pictures. Any more?

By the way, there was a Gurney V-8 engine which had three valves per cylinder. I'd be very keen to know if anyone has any pictures of that one!

Ratu
i understand Weslake was also involved with the design of the 2 and 3 valve gurney sbf heads, also a oil baron here has said he bought a one off 4 valve sbf head setup from Gurney 25+yrs ago, was not able to get more info on it but i know Weslake did make some one off stuff in the past.

http://www.gt40s.com/forum/gt40-tech-en ... nce-2.html

Weslake was also involved with the Detomaso version head too

boss

Post by boss »

pic of M/T's 3 valve pushrod head chamber for comparison

Belgian1979
Guru
Guru

Post by Belgian1979 »

Best design I've seen so far was the Moser DOHC conversion for SBC.
kid7755
Pro
Pro

Post by kid7755 »

I wouldn't doubt it hp/litre vs hp/litre.. but for cool factor LS can't compete. 8)

Mercruiser marine is putting 4-valve heads on the LS. I saw some pics on Hot Rod.com. They appear to be plastic in the pic though. Anyone who knows the facts care to step in? I think that is way bad ass!
lada ok
Guru
Guru

Post by lada ok »

Lotus did a set of 4 valve heads not to long ago for GM V 8
boss

Post by boss »

kid7755 wrote:I wouldn't doubt it hp/litre vs hp/litre.. but for cool factor LS can't compete. 8)

Mercruiser marine is putting 4-valve heads on the LS. I saw some pics on Hot Rod.com. They appear to be plastic in the pic though. Anyone who knows the facts care to step in? I think that is way bad ass!
i can only imagine how much more popular the junkyard ls would be if gm would of put there 3 valve pushrod ls into production

MadBill
Guru
Guru

Post by MadBill »

That engine must have miniature hydraulic lifters in the intake rocker pads. Is that common on production 3 valve pushrod engines? :-k
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.
boss

Post by boss »

yes you are correct, some of the production/oem setups use a hyd lash adjuster for smooth/quiet operation

kawasaki's version

for more high rpm performance though you would want to use the standard elephant foot

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=41144
kid7755
Pro
Pro

Post by kid7755 »

boss wrote:
kid7755 wrote:I wouldn't doubt it hp/litre vs hp/litre.. but for cool factor LS can't compete. 8)

i can only imagine how much more popular the junkyard ls would be if gm would of put there 3 valve pushrod ls into production

Pretty cool. Hate to see the Jesel upgrade price tag for that set up though. :-#
boss

Post by boss »

this new Mercury dohc 4 valve kit for the ls is excellent news as with the Arias ls/sbf hemi kits out, i can also see a 4V sbf dohc kit in the future now too [-o<

http://www.hotrod.com/events/mercury-ra ... sema-2014/

http://www.mercuryracing.com/all-charged-up-at-sema/

man!, Mercurys QC4V 1650hp crate engine sure is a beast too

http://www.guideautoweb.com/en/articles ... s_at_sema/
140Air
Guru
Guru

Post by 140Air »

lada ok wrote:Lotus did a set of 4 valve heads not to long ago for GM V 8
You mean the old LT5 for the Gen4 Corvette? Cloverleaf chambers, butterfly in the intake port leg of one of the valves to help the low end. IIRC, they didn't mention the swirl benefit.
Not really a lot more hp than the SBC, but (IIRC) the SCCA kept them out of competing with cars they should have been matched against, instead putting them in a series of their own.
MadBill
Guru
Guru

Post by MadBill »

It was the base SBC that powered the Corvette Challenge Series cars in 1988/89, after GM got bored with winning 100% of the SCCA Showroom Stock endurance series races in the mid-eighties: http://showyourcorvette.com/history.php
However, the LT5-powered cars did compete in the SCCA World Challenge Series in the early nineties, winning multiple championships despite being progressively saddled with hundreds of pounds of "Reward Weight". (equalization ballast)
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.
140Air
Guru
Guru

Post by 140Air »

MadBill wrote:It was the base SBC that powered the Corvette Challenge Series cars in 1988/89, after GM got bored with winning 100% of the SCCA Showroom Stock endurance series races in the mid-eighties: http://showyourcorvette.com/history.php
However, the LT5-powered cars did compete in the SCCA World Challenge Series in the early nineties, winning multiple championships despite being progressively saddled with hundreds of pounds of "Reward Weight". (equalization ballast)
I think the SCCA was overloaded with Europhile racers, especially the Porsche crowd. The Gen4 Corvette was a stick in the eye.
I recall that after the '82 Camaro whipped ass on the Porsche 944 in the Nelson Ledges 24 race (Camaro was 7 laps in the lead, then got stuck in a sand trap and lost), they allowed the 924 Turbo to compete in '83 even though it was not scheduled for US release until 1985, -yet they disallowed the '84 Corvette which was already on the street. When the Vette was allowed to race they made them run 4 front tires in order to take away some speed.