General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Kevin Johnson
HotPass
HotPass
Re: Just for interest's sake - Weslake SB Chevy 4-valve head

Post by Kevin Johnson »

140Air wrote:
MadBill wrote:It was the base SBC that powered the Corvette Challenge Series cars in 1988/89, after GM got bored with winning 100% of the SCCA Showroom Stock endurance series races in the mid-eighties: http://showyourcorvette.com/history.php
However, the LT5-powered cars did compete in the SCCA World Challenge Series in the early nineties, winning multiple championships despite being progressively saddled with hundreds of pounds of "Reward Weight". (equalization ballast)
I think the SCCA was overloaded with Europhile racers, especially the Porsche crowd. The Gen4 Corvette was a stick in the eye.
I recall that after the '82 Camaro whipped ass on the Porsche 944 in the Nelson Ledges 24 race (Camaro was 7 laps in the lead, then got stuck in a sand trap and lost), they allowed the 924 Turbo to compete in '83 even though it was not scheduled for US release until 1985, -yet they disallowed the '84 Corvette which was already on the street. When the Vette was allowed to race they made them run 4 front tires in order to take away some speed.

944 Turbo -- the 924 Turbo had been around and is based off a completely different engine.
https://www.semasan.com/breaking-news-archives?utm_campaign=DrivingForce_DF272&utm_content=SeeAllLeg
boss

Re: Just for interest's sake - BB Chevy 4-valve heads

Post by boss »

looks like the big block chevy 32V Thunder Power pushrod heads are getting more popular with new castings out.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 283&type=3

http://www.valleyhead.com/thunder.html

the TP design also reminds me alot of Fords old double shaft 3-4 valve versions that GM basicly used/copyed for there 3 valve LS head version.

http://www.google.com/patents/US5577470
boss

Post by boss »

Wesfolk wrote:Very interested in getting a pair of these "WESLAKE 32V" heads for either SBC or preferably SBF. Tried to message "Promachine", as he states in a post that he has a pair, but can't get him here. There are two sets as part of a static display engine at the Museum in Lincoln, NE. Neither Carson Smith, nor Greg Nicol will call me back. I have a purpose for these, so if anyone can help out I would be appreciative.
hi Wesfolk, i just seen your pm and sent late reply

for guys interested in what im doing it is better to email me as i dont post much on the net.

here is a link as to what im doing with info/pics/email for those interested in my CB-4V heads...

http://forums.corral.net/forums/351c-bi ... locks.html

:D
Splitter
Pro
Pro

Post by Splitter »

Some of you guys might find the December 1994 issue of Chevy Hi Performance interesting, they did a feature on notable small block engines to celebrate the 40th anniversary of the small block. My own copy is long gone, but off the top of my head they had a small write up on the Gurney-Weslake heads, Mickey Thompson Indy heads, Crane-Moser heads, the Crower mileage system and Smokey's stratified charge engine among others. You can find a back issue online for around ten bucks.
140Air
Guru
Guru
Re: Just for interest's sake - BB Chevy 4-valve heads

Post by 140Air »

boss wrote:the TP design also reminds me alot of Fords old double shaft 3-4 valve versions that GM basicly used/copyed for there 3 valve LS head version.

http://www.google.com/patents/US5577470
GM's 3-valve head designs for the SBC date back to the '50s or early '60s. They homologated one for the 1963 LeMans race.
groberts101
Guru
Guru

Post by groberts101 »

damned fine looking motor =P~
cknight

Post by cknight »

Belgian1979 wrote:Best design I've seen so far was the Moser DOHC conversion for SBC.
Just wanted to mention that Richard Moser passed away last Sunday. Check out richardmoser.con for some of the accomplishments in his life. One of the most interesting folks I've ever known (or worked with). Regards, Chase
Kevin Johnson
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Kevin Johnson »

cknight wrote:
Belgian1979 wrote:Best design I've seen so far was the Moser DOHC conversion for SBC.
Just wanted to mention that Richard Moser passed away last Sunday. Check out richardmoser.con for some of the accomplishments in his life. One of the most interesting folks I've ever known (or worked with). Regards, Chase
I am sorry to hear of his passing.

To Richard,

Red and green color blindness is common in mammals.

Godspeed.
https://www.semasan.com/breaking-news-archives?utm_campaign=DrivingForce_DF272&utm_content=SeeAllLeg
Belgian1979
Guru
Guru

Post by Belgian1979 »

cknight wrote:
Sorry to hear that. Clearly a bright guy.
Daniel Jones
Pro
Pro

Post by Daniel Jones »

> "A Merc Couger was made back in the late 70?s? that was an XR-7G. It was modified by Gurney/Westlake and sold thru L&M dealers.

The XR7-G was an appearance package for the Cougar and was available with any of the standard Ford engines from 302-2V to 428CJ. Gurney/Weslake had nothing to do with the car. See http://xr7g.mercurycougarregistry.com/history/ for the details. "Dan Gurney has maintained in interviews over the years that he had nothing to do with the XR7-G other than posing for advertisements."

> Had a 32 valve head. I saw it in Robert Ponds collection, It had been Dan Gurneys driver and he gave it to Pond. When Ponds collection was sold the car was not part of the collection, would like to know what it is worth now.")

I think he is mistaking the "Mk-IV" variant of the two valve Gurney-Weslake heads. Gurney first tested the Gurney-Weslake MK-IV street package on his Cougar. The MK-IV was a narrowed version of the Weslake 2 valve SBF pushrod heads that were revised to better fit between the shock towers of Mustangs and Cougars. The first MKIV's were cast by Alcoa but later ones were cast in England where Gurney was developing his Formula 1 V12. The MK-IV heads were renamed Gurney-Eagles after Gurney took over manufacturing responsibilities. A friend has a set of MK-IV's. They came as a package with both a low profile dual plane intake manifold (to fit under stock Ford hoods) and a set of adapters that would mount 48mm IDA Webers. The heads used a rockershaft set-up with custom rockers and stands, unique valve covers, water manifolding (water is routed external to the heads) and header flanges. John Miller at Gurney's All American Racing also developed a set of 3 valve SBF pushrod heads. Weslake Engineering was not involved in that project and they were not offered as a package for street Cougars and Mustangs. Detomaso also had a version of the the 2 valve SBF Weslake heads prototyped.

Dan Jones
SchmidtMotorWorks
Vendor

Post by SchmidtMotorWorks »

cknight wrote:
Richard was a good friend of mine.
He was a regular vistor and always willing to delve into a wide variety of subjects.
He passed on a lot of advice from experience that he had with the MOSER DOHC V8, the Torque V12 and so many more.
A story he told many times about the Torque V12 was that he never heard it run except over the telephone one time.

He lead a very interesting life and was involved in so many things, too many to remember or list really. I hope his artifacts are preserved, he kept a lot of things.

I used to urge him to write his account of the development oh the 426Hemi, he kept a lot of notes and data even gave me printed copies of old FORTRAN code they used to design camshafts.

I helped him with a CAD model to test a theory he had about the make up of the universe.

He had a very full life and seemed quite content with what he had done.
Helping to Deliver the Promise of Flying Cars
old_chopper

Post by old_chopper »

Here's a couple of pictures of things around our shop. The castings are "new", built about 12 years ago. The machined head is an original. This project got started and the then stalled out. I'm not sure what the future is for it. Do you all think there would be a market today for these?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
lada ok
Guru
Guru

Post by lada ok »

so this is sohc with finger followers :?:

Any pic's of the chambers :?:
SchmidtMotorWorks
Vendor

Post by SchmidtMotorWorks »

Looks like a nice job on the foundry work.

The market for them seems to depend on the valve train cost and durabilty.
Plus the cost of a custom manifold and headers.

Seems to make a Ford DOHC engine seem like a bargain.

As far as I know, no one has been able make a 4 valve pushrod valvetrain work for long.
Helping to Deliver the Promise of Flying Cars
old_chopper

Post by old_chopper »

It's a long story. The castings aren't "old", they were poured about 10 years ago. There is a small foundry here that purchased the tooling for the castings. When they got it in, most of it was beyond repair. They rebuilt it all and poured these two castings. They had a small machine shop but the equipment wasn't capable of machining the heads. There have been a couple starts to build them but then they stall out. I thought we were going to develop the machining but it now looks like that is not going to happen. I'd love to get it going but I can't seem to convince the folks with the money of the potential.